HELP! Calling all A Negative (blood type) expats for time crucial assistance...

David T Pike

I have spine surgery scheduled on Thursday Afternoon at Bangkok Hospital Chiang Mai. I am getting a 3 level fusion and they will not do it unless they have 4 units of A- on hand just in case. I wont need it if everything goes well but they have to have it by law just in case. I didn't realize almost all SE Asians are Rh-Positive and not many are type A.

So I am humbly and desperately asking for any of you Folks out there who have A- blood to please go to the Chiang Mai Red Cross Blood Bank Donation Center and please state that it is for "Mr David Thomas Pike" at Bangkok Hospital Chiang Mai. You can PM me here is you wish.

I have been waiting for this surgery for over 3 years and have been in a wheelchair the whole time and this will get me out of it!

Thank you so much for your consideration, kindness and compassion!

https://www.facebook.com/ChiangMaiBloodBank/

Red Cross Blood Donation Center Chiang Mai

Edited by David T Pike
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Most people won't know what blood type they are, also according to the below type O can be used which is common with falang

Screenshot_2021-06-01-14-07-49-957_com.android.chrome.jpg

I realize this Frogman and am very familiar with blood types and spoke to the Drs about it. They said yes in emergency situations they could use O but this is elective surgery and they have to have an exact match by LAW!

9 minutes ago, Crossy said:

@Sheryl any way to get this some publicity?

Thank you Crossy! I have contacted the VFW for help and also posted on the Chiang Mai ex-pat group on Facebook but they have not approved it yet... ????

But I am sure Sheryl will jump in here as soon as she sees it... ☺️

1 minute ago, Crossy said:

@David T Pike would this work better in the Chiang Mai forum (a link would remain here in Health too)?

I was going to do that but in the fine print they say to post to the sub forum if it is covered... I will do it anyways... Hope I don't get in trouble... ????

Sorry mate cannot help you, too far away, they would not accept my blood anyway.

I find your post a bit confusing, as when i needed blood 8 years ago, Khonkaen hospital said to my wife he needs 4 units of blood, you have to find 4 people to donate, then we operate on him.

Now same blood as you, but the hospital just wanted 4 units for 4 people, any blood, 3 Thais and 1 farang donated.

Just now, David T Pike said:

I was going to do that but in the fine print they say to post to the sub forum if it is covered... I will do it anyways... Hope I don't get in trouble... ????

You were correct posting in Health. I've moved it to CM for better local exposure.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, orang37 said:

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun David,

I am A-, but, too old, and have prior medical conditions: not allowed to donate. 

I just want to wish you well !

~o:37;

That's a bummer. I can't donate either. I had Hep-C but cleared the virus but still can't donate... ????

2 hours ago, Crossy said:

@Sheryl any way to get this some publicity?

I think the CM forum is best place for it.

Good that he has given correct info on where to donate. 

The address of the CM Red Cross Blood Donation Center is:

196 Ratchapakhinai Rd, Tambon Si Phum, Mueang Chiang Mai District, Chiang Mai 50200

Telephone: 053 418 389

It's right inside the gate near the eastern wall

Map here:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Red+Cross+Blood+Bank+Donation+Center/@18.7914257,98.9904632,15z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0xcab322bfa226c195!8m2!3d18.7914257!4d98.9904632

I would add that in Thailand they will unfortunately not accept donations from people over the age of 60 (age 55 if first tiem donor). This unusual and extreme rule greatly reduces the availability of farang donors but hopefully there will be some.

OP  you can donate yourself in advance 1 -6 weeks befre the surgery). Of course impossible to donate 4 units, but you should be OK to give at least 1.

Bone does bleed a lot, hence their concern to have enough on hand.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

I would add that in Thailand they will unfortunately not accept donations from people over the age of 60 (age 55 if first tiem donor). This unusual and extreme rule greatly reduces the availability of farang donors but hopefully there will be some.

I would ask for help from the younger communities in CM, there are a lot of digital nomads living in CM, or at least there used to be.  Try some of the Facebook groups.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Sheryl said:

I think the CM forum is best place for it.

Good that he has given correct info on where to donate. 

The address of the CM Red Cross Blood Donation Center is:

196 Ratchapakhinai Rd, Tambon Si Phum, Mueang Chiang Mai District, Chiang Mai 50200

Telephone: 053 418 389

It's right inside the gate near the eastern wall

Map here:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Red+Cross+Blood+Bank+Donation+Center/@18.7914257,98.9904632,15z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0xcab322bfa226c195!8m2!3d18.7914257!4d98.9904632

OP  you can donate yourself in advance 1 -6 weeks befre the surgery). Of course impossible to donate 4 units, but you should be OK to give at least 1.

Bone does bleed a lot, hence their concern to have enough on hand.

Edited by David T Pike

David, I would donate (am A-negative) but I'm in the US.  While visiting SE Asia some years ago I donated blood to a veteran undergoing chemo and learned a few things about blood types that I did not know before.  Apparently Asians genetically just don't have RH-negative blood (or at least extremely rare), normally it is limited to mixes with a recent non-Asian ancestor.  Even among Caucasian Americans only 7% of the population has A-negative blood.  When I donated, the hospital would only accept donors under the age of 60, which ironically ruled out the majority of the expat population that would have been potential donors.  That was not in Thailand so not sure if there is an age restriction in this situation, please post if there is.

Bottom line, this is a shout-out that if you are reading this and you have blood type A-negative, you're in a very rare position to help someone out, in a circumstance where if you don't step in, there may not be anyone else able to.  

4 hours ago, ChrisP24 said:

David, I would donate (am A-negative) but I'm in the US.  While visiting SE Asia some years ago I donated blood to a veteran undergoing chemo and learned a few things about blood types that I did not know before.  Apparently Asians genetically just don't have RH-negative blood (or at least extremely rare), normally it is limited to mixes with a recent non-Asian ancestor.  Even among Caucasian Americans only 7% of the population has A-negative blood.  When I donated, the hospital would only accept donors under the age of 60, which ironically ruled out the majority of the expat population that would have been potential donors.  That was not in Thailand so not sure if there is an age restriction in this situation, please post if there is.

Bottom line, this is a shout-out that if you are reading this and you have blood type A-negative, you're in a very rare position to help someone out, in a circumstance where if you don't step in, there may not be anyone else able to.  

Hey Chris! Yes I just learned about the rarity of my blood. Also O- is only 7% of the population, B+ is 9%, B- is only 2%!

ALL ex-pats should KNOW there blood type and see if it is available in SE Asia. What happens if you get in a accident and need blood and it is not available!

There are groups that have Neg blood in SE Asia and other types that donate at Red Crosses to insure a supply when needed. Google for them! 

Negative Blood Donor Volunteers

8 hours ago, ChrisP24 said:

That was not in Thailand so not sure if there is an age restriction in this situation, please post if there is.

As previously noted, Thailand limits blood donation to people under 60 -- under 55 if it is first time donor. And I think the latter means first time on their records i.e. having donated before in your home country won't count. Have to be under 55 or else 55-59 but listed as a blood donor in Thailand before.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sheryl said:

As previously noted, Thailand limits blood donation to people under 60 -- under 55 if it is first time donor. And I think the latter means first time on their records i.e. having donated before in your home country won't count. Have to be under 55 or else 55-59 but listed as a blood donor in Thailand before.

I am under 50 and can't spend blood anymore. I have gave before, but now they not accept my blood, because as in their list, if someone spend time in europe before 1980 or something (I am born there) can't give blood.

so why spend more work if they are not interested in our blood anymore!

It's very stupid of them, but I am now done with blood donation in Thailand.

• Sad 1

I'm A-neg, in CM.  I just donated a coupla weeks back.  Send me a PM if I can. be of help.

Just re-read post.  CM redcross was my donation point, about 2 weeks ago.  Maybe 3.  I can verify by phone if need be.

Edited by SoloFlyer
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, ChrisP24 said:

Hey Chris! Yes I just learned about the rarity of my blood. Also O- is only 7% of the population, B+ is 9%, B- is only 2%!

ALL ex-pats should KNOW there blood type and see if it is available in SE Asia. What happens if you get in a accident and need blood and it is not available!

There are groups that have Neg blood in SE Asia and other types that donate at Red Crosses to insure a supply when needed. Google for them!