Does Thailand ever undertake time and motion studies?

Bangkok Barry

On 6/4/2021 at 9:04 AM, NCC1701A said:

the answer to this is corruption. the more difficult the process and more interaction the more opportunity for corruption.

corruption is the only reason for 90 day reporting. 

Also they want to ensure that vast numbers of people are employed, even in that employment is doing unnecessary tasks.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, seancbk said:

Also they want to ensure that vast numbers of people are employed, even in that employment is doing unnecessary tasks.

Exactly, it's a jobs program. Not just in the Govt. but most everywhere. At my local Boots there's an assistant pretty much every aisle. 

Not just Thailand though. Most developing countries I've been to are the same. Heck, here's a hilarious video from Spain

(mods, it's subtitled in English):

Edited by Why Me
  • Haha 2

On 6/4/2021 at 8:50 AM, Bangkok Barry said:

Another example is repeatedly having to provide the same information, year after year after year, to immigration when applying for an extension. Surely all that is needed is to sign a form saying nothing has changed since a year ago and acknowledging that giving false information could result in arrest and deportation, add a letter from the bank confirming the required funds, and it could be approved by the local IO in minutes

I asked the wife the same question the other day. We were coming back to to Thailand from the US. and we had to have a Certificate of Entry (COE), to get that, we had to provide a number of documents.  Every leg of the trip and every station we stopped we were asked for the same documents , I had a file book an inch thick. Same when I got here and was getting my Yellow book.

So I asked my wife  why we needed to produce all this documents every time , since the COE implied that we already had them.

She said that there is so much corruption in Thailand that the officials in the different departments, or even with in the same department don't trust each other. And given the state of corruption nepotism, and low wages in Thailand, why employ one person, when three can do the same job.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think a lot of people have a skewed (or at least, outdated) recollection of what it's like "back home".  As a Covid refugee stuck in the USA after 20 years of living in Asia, it isn't nearly as efficient as I recall.  

• Like 2

On 6/4/2021 at 9:01 AM, CharlieH said:

Try a builders merchant ! And many other stores, takes a short time to get what you want, but 20 minutes or more to actually pay and get out of there !

Immigration could/should be ALL online in this day and age of technology.Upload, confirm, done !

You're joking Charlie they can't even keep the 90 day reports online working regularly in all provinces, which i would have thought would have been pretty simple, but what do i know i'm no expert!

On 6/4/2021 at 12:28 PM, Rampant Rabbit said:

Try asking my Wife   a YES  or  NO question , seems a straight answer is  never  available and if  involving another Thai it  will be 20  minutes before being told......................don't  know!

"Yes and no" questions I can handle.

I haven't asked my wife a multiple choice question for over 20 years. I'm still recovering from the last one.

• Haha 1