Swimming in Jomtien Beach

Bob4u

11 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Pools closed? Mine isn't nor is my friends..condos  and compounds..its not even a rule anymore is it?

It's been up to individual juristic managers.

Stand at the front of Jomtien / Dongtan beach facing the sea.  Use your nose first.  If that test is passed and you can't smell sewage or oil or petroleum fumes, then look at the direction of the waves.

If they are coming from the right don't get in, just paddle as the water will be filthy.  If the waves are coming from the left, the water will be nice and as clean as it can be for that area.

This is my rule of thumb developed over the last twenty years.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 2

Past few months... 

Water looks beautiful from a distance on a sunny day. So much so that thought I'd give it a go 3 weeks back. Next day strolled out to the "surf" to have a look and hopefully a swim. Was taken aback by all the garbage, plastic, debris and UFOs (unknown floating objects)! Still GROSS. No way! 

Returned immediately to my pool. 

Edited by Skeptic7

For a dissenting opinion, in the days when travel was possible, I would have spent well over a hundred hours in the water of Jomtien beach during many visits to Thailand in the winter high season, mostly at the Dongtan end, without experiencing any health problems whatsoever. Just use common sense after heavy rain, I’ve seen a sign advising against that even at Australia’s famous Manly beach. However, on my summer visits I used to mostly use my condo’s pool as I was concerned about jellyfish.

14 years in Jomtien.  Went swimming once that first year.  That cured me.

I said the same thing about Patong at the time.  I spent a few days in Phuket last summer and I gotta admit the water at Patong Beach looked a helluva lot cleaner than I've seen it since the 90s.  Didn't have a chance to swim there but I'm sure it beats Jomtien any day.

The water will be cleaner  away from the Gulf of Thailand..

F.Y.I   some time ago i had an ear infection that i got treated at a local hospital ENT department, the doctor asked me if i had   been swimming in sea water in the pattaya, which i had,   he advised never  to  put your head under water, better still dont swim in the sea in  the Gulf of Thailand..too much bacteria

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, johng said:

That's not Jomtien   but Jomtien does have the same problem.

Correct, the photo is not taken at Jomtien, but the article is about the water quality of Gulf of Thailand beaches, some even further south of Jomtien, such as Na Chom Thian: 

“Na Chom Thian beach especially featured the black water and it was reportedly due to sewage being dumped into the ocean.”

CABD6185-4B54-4D25-BFA7-8036A17155D3.jpeg

20 hours ago, CygnusX1 said:

For a dissenting opinion, in the days when travel was possible, I would have spent well over a hundred hours in the water of Jomtien beach during many visits to Thailand in the winter high season, mostly at the Dongtan end, without experiencing any health problems whatsoever. Just use common sense after heavy rain, I’ve seen a sign advising against that even at Australia’s famous Manly beach. However, on my summer visits I used to mostly use my condo’s pool as I was concerned about jellyfish.

Same here, for a little exercise, we used to walk from about Soi 11 up Beach Rd , up the hill with the big Buddah, down the back of the hill to the main road, flag down a h a Baht Bus to the beach, swim at Dongtan Beach , have Breakfast at a Cafe there, then Baht Bus back home. Never had an issue, did that about twice a week and enjoyed it.  This was about 2 or 3 years ago though when there were tourists everywhere.

Edited by BumGun
  • Like 1