Dangerous or harmless Snake ?

Just now, foreverlomsak said:

Don't see it in the following, but that doesn't mean it isn't, treat them all as if they are.

List of dangerous snakes - Wikipedia

Best bet is to get a Thai neighbour to identify and deal with it, safer for you.

With young kids on the premises I take no chances, the dogs alerted me and you can see teeth marks where one got him, I just dispatched him.

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

1 minute ago, CharlieH said:

With young kids on the premises I take no chances, the dogs alerted me and you can see teeth marks where one got him, I just dispatched him.

well done, have had to do 3 or 4 myself, all smaller than yours though, and different markings (one had red flashes).

I had a snake like that before in my garden . IMHO its a unharmful snake , i forgot his name and look it up tomorrow (some kind of rat racer ) . It is aggressive and large , but harmful to us humans . My dogs were all over it but thx to me being there and not only Thai people i gave it a free run , after being very exited ( i guess he did have a good day also) . Always try to remeber 1 thing , we humans or even our dogs/cats are not the primary food source of these snakes , whatever snake it is . Most snakes , whatever kind are just in the wrong place and if they encounter 1 of us mentioned ( even cats and dogs ) will try go around every single time . Unless it really is in house and is really going the wrong way , there is no reason whatsoever to kill it .

Just now, sezze said:

I had a snake like that before in my garden . IMHO its a unharmful snake , i forgot his name and look it up tomorrow (some kind of rat racer ) . It is aggressive and large , but harmful to us humans . My dogs were all over it but thx to me being there and not only Thai people i gave it a free run , after being very exited ( i guess he did have a good day also) . Always try to remeber 1 thing , we humans or even our dogs/cats are not the primary food source of these snakes , whatever snake it is . Most snakes , whatever kind are just in the wrong place and if they encounter 1 of us mentioned ( even cats and dogs ) will try go around every single time . Unless it really is in house and is really going the wrong way , there is no reason whatsoever to kill it .

I really want to state unharmful , im drinking so i make some mistakes typing

• Like 1

I caught this little fella in my kitchen the other night, dispatched over the back fence 'alive'.

Non venomous,  Water Snake..... I think.  

Also caught a Indo China Rat snake yesterday, 2mtr long, in my lounge, frightened <deleted> out of me. Markings similar to King Cobra. Very aggro.  Regretfully it is now deceased.

Cheers GBW

rat.jpg

rats.jpg

3 minutes ago, sezze said:

I really want to state unharmful , im drinking so i make some mistakes typing

well, even drunk you have stated something more sensible than just killing every snake one comes across.    Once i got over the "fear factor" instilled in most of us...... I realized that indeed the snakes we come across will always head the other way when they can .  Even in a house one can shoo it out or get a Thai neighbor to if you are scared.

there was a big snake in my storage room a few years ago,  looked dangerous as it was curled up.   Called on a neighbor and 4 guys showed up !   At first they were alarmed , but then one said  " not bad snake.  look,  it is wound around a Dookae ( large gecko).  

Then they freed the gecko,   got the snake out ............... and did not harm either of them .

Whooda thunk !     most snakes are harmless.    some Thais  DON"T  kill every snake   ????

• Like 2

He is likely to end up as dinner out here in the country. I have not run across snakes any other way here.

The problem with Thai snakes is that some are extremely lethal. The harmless ones pay the price for the Kraits and Cobras being so dangerous.

Edited by cjinchiangrai

21 hours ago, foreverlomsak said:

Don't see it in the following, but that doesn't mean it isn't, treat them all as if they are.

List of dangerous snakes - Wikipedia

Best bet is to get a Thai neighbour to identify and deal with it, safer for you.

Thais generally don't seem to have a clue. They just kill them all, as do so many foreigners as well.

Both communities would recognize a Cobra or Python of course and call in the pros. With the exception of these two, I prefer to leave snakes to get on with their lives.

We never get rodents in our house. There could be a link there.

How about this one    It looks like an "oriental whip snake"  due to very pointy head    but was much thicker than just  little finger thickness as stated in the Thailand snakes PDF

crop_P_20200204_172820.jpg.0c793105e87b39af033e4a29dff3d1b3.jpg

crop_P_20200204_172926.thumb.jpg.41cc3dc61f254269b7f99ebc26452c49.jpg

To the snake lovers I simply say "each to their own" because if you think I am going to learn to identify 30+ species of snake in order to save the 2 or 3 a year I dispatch, you're wrong !

I have neither the interest nor inclination. I take no chances and air on the side of caution where young kids are concerned.

"Thailand has approximately 60 snake species that are considered venomous and potentially dangerous to human beings. Thirty of them are on land, and deadly.Jul 26, 2559 BE