Study from CDC

bikerlou47

With the following information Thailand continues to lock fully vaccinated people in a hotel room for 14 days. 

My daughter ( SWITZERLAND) who is fully vaccinated with Moderna is looking at 14 days in a hotel, instead of coming home! IT IS CRAZY!

"Importantly, Mark Thompson from the CDC COVID-19 Response Team and colleagues also showed that the vaccines were highly effective at reducing viral load, febrile symptoms, and the duration of illness among individuals who developed breakthrough infections despite having been vaccinated.

The large prospective study of almost 4,000 people found that full vaccination (with two doses) was 91% effective at preventing SARS-CoV-2 infection, while partial vaccination (with one dose) was 81% effective.

Among those who became infected, partially or fully vaccinated individuals had a lower level of viral RNA, a lower risk of developing febrile symptoms and a reduced duration of illness compared with unvaccinated individuals.

The researchers say that if further data confirm that these vaccines reduce the viral load and, in turn, blunt the infectivity of SARS-CoV-2, this would suggest that the vaccines are not only highly effective at preventing infection, but could also reduce the impact of breakthrough infections.

This has significant implications for essential and frontline workers, given their potential to spread the virus through frequent close contact with patients, co-workers, and the public, says Thompson and colleagues"

• Sad 1

Can your daughter return a little later?

The requirements in Thailand will probably be dropped once it becomes clear this summer that other tourism destinations are springing back to life thanks to making it easier for vaccinated tourists.

She starts in BKK University in August.

I am just having such a difficult time of having her locked up for no good reason.Thailand is allowing unvaccinated citizens to roam this country while a vaccinated citizen must get locked up!

Not to mention the additional cost!

According to the source which you quoted even if fully vaccinated there is still a 9% chance that your daughter could get infected. This means there is a chance that she carries the virus into Thailand and infects other people. But because she is your daughter and it's inconvenient to stay in quarantine you think it's OK that she might possibly infect people with a deadly virus? You sound quite selfish to me.

• Like 1

Nothing posted is new info. The pandemic is all about perception now. Asian governments have spent the last 14 months pushing covid zero, blaming air travel for everything with highly xenophobic overtones. Until this translates to Thai officialdom nothing will change.  Using logic is useless.

Wait till July 1 she can fly to 14 days Phuket for a holiday, if the OP family is tested I guess they can join her there too. 

1 hour ago, Captain Monday said:

Nothing posted is new info. The pandemic is all about perception now. Asian governments have spent the last 14 months pushing covid zero, blaming air travel for everything with highly xenophobic overtones. Until this translates to Thai officialdom nothing will change.  Using logic is useless.

Wait till July 1 she can fly to 14 days Phuket for a holiday, if the OP family is tested I guess they can join her there too. 

Ummm....the pandemic is all about millions dying and millions more getting sick, some with long term consequences.  It's got nothing to do with perception.

I've not seen them blame air travel for everything.  You'll have to provide a credible link for that.  Otherwise.....

2 hours ago, tonray said:

It's 14 days...sometime people sound do entitled. The rules are public knoweldge. If she cannot cope, she can stay in Switzerland until they change. We all have had to make sacrifices, some very big during this pandemic, time to put in her big girl pants and be adult about it.

Maybe you should put your big boy pants on and get educated!

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

Ummm....the pandemic is all about millions dying and millions more getting sick, some with long term consequences.  It's got nothing to do with perception.

I've not seen them blame air travel for everything.  You'll have to provide a credible link for that.  Otherwise.....

600k dead in the greatest fiasco of US history. But, we are back to "normal" more or less. With 20,000 per day cases as of May 29 and 550 dead per day. All numbers dropping, vaccination is 63 percent and will to not go much higher thanks to deplorables. BUTIt is PERCEIVED that this level is manageable. Just talked to my Doctor in US today. There will be another wave in the Fall in USA with certainty. I do not expect more lockdowns (closures, there has never been a real lockdown in the Continental US).

US is 5 times bigger than Thailand but what if the numbers were comparable even at this level? We would probably be back to curfews with strict domestic travel/alcohol bans.  With Thai health system no where near overwhelmed the perception is completely different, mostly because of messaging coming from the top. Except for the promised then doubled to 14 day sandbox, no end in sight. Why did they suddenly go back to 15 nights ASQ for vaccinated air arrivals, and completely keep them behind the door even banning room cleaning? Just to look tough? Was there actually some problem? I dont think  the April wave has much  to do with ASQ arrivals.

I hope hope hope mass vaccination is as successful in Thailand but until it is accepted in Thailand, Japan, Hong Kong., Taiwan  etc. that  covid can be managed not contained in a box to zero, don't expect borders to open.   The virus is never going away.

Edited by Captain Monday
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Captain Monday said:

600k dead in the greatest fiasco of US history.

There is NO way this is the greatest.   It's easy to hindsight everything..........so I think Americans generally have the best and brightest.  

vietnam war.   Millions displaced and killed AFTER the "war".   1 million killed during.  Millions of Americans turned on their own country.   Millions turned to drugs.  Communism was worse than this virus.   

and that's just in the modern area.

but still, America is the best country.    that cannot be debated.  lol.    and don't say Finland or some place like that....

USA

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ventenio said:

There is NO way this is the greatest.   It's easy to hindsight everything..........so I think Americans generally have the best and brightest.  

vietnam war.   Millions displaced and killed AFTER the "war".   1 million killed during.  Millions of Americans turned on their own country.   Millions turned to drugs.  Communism was worse than this virus.   

and that's just in the modern area.

but still, America is the best country.    that cannot be debated.  lol.    and don't say Finland or some place like that....

USA

Impossible to compare the Vietnam war to what we're going through now.  Less than 60k Americans were killed in that war.  We're probably closer to 1MM dead in the US from this virus as they readily admit to under counting.  Especially during the early stages.

In the end, it was made political and thousands died that didn't have to.

As said above, this virus will be around forever and we're far from beating it.  7 day average is still around 400 deaths per day.  That's almost 3k per week, 12k per month.  Staggering numbers.

9 hours ago, bikerlou47 said:

"Importantly, Mark Thompson from the CDC COVID-19 Response Team and colleagues also showed

It does not matter what Dr Thompson or Dr Smith or another western doctor says. It does matter what Dr Kiatiphum Wongrajit says:

So Sinovac is the N1 vaccine in any Thai list - for example, here - https://tehran.thaiembassy.org/en/content/update-on-list-of-covid-19-vaccines-and-quarantine?cate=5d84630615e39c3cbc002bcf

You should consider vaccination with Chinese Sinovac which is the main vaccine in Thailand now. 

Edited by friendofthai

19 minutes ago, friendofthai said:

It does not matter what Dr Thompson or Dr Smith or another western doctor says. It does matter what Dr Kiatiphum Wongrajit says:

So Sinovac is the N1 vaccine in any Thai list - for example, here - https://tehran.thaiembassy.org/en/content/update-on-list-of-covid-19-vaccines-and-quarantine?cate=5d84630615e39c3cbc002bcf

You should consider vaccination with Chinese Sinovac which is the main vaccine in Thailand now. 

Sinovac is NOT the main vaccine here in Thailand now.  It's AZ from now moving forward.  Don't post misinformation.  Again.

D4DE8E0D-C015-4151-89A7-4480B82A79A0-768x1278.png

• Thanks 2

46 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

Less than 60k Americans were killed in that war. 

I know around 58,000 were killed.   BUT millions were affected, and the political craziness was crazier than now.   many died after they came back home.   it changed America forever, mainly because of the media..........

I understand COVID kills.   Even if a person is old, has preexisting conditions, it's covid that killed........and it killed many healthy people.  

But you are calling it a WORSE fiasco, which is my point.   covid is a virus that wasn't, and probably couldn't have been, managed (run for President if you are smarter and can do a better job)........America went into Vietnam because we faked an attack.............and then bombed Laos and everywhere............millions died because of this fake attack.   that's the fiasco.   

I'm saying America had an amazingly difficult task to control this thing.  yea, it was a fiasco.   like in many countries, a fiasco.   BUT when America left in 1975....that was a bigger fiasco when compared to America pre-1975.   Changed how people think about American military forever.    

we can go on an on and on...............  dust bowl thing, fiasco.   any stock market crash, fiasco.  natural disasters, fiasco........call anything a fiasco.   vietnam was a fiasco with lingering affects.......covid will NOT be talked about in 5-years that much.  maybe that's where we differ.........   lol.    

3 minutes ago, Ventenio said:

I know around 58,000 were killed.   BUT millions were affected, and the political craziness was crazier than now.   many died after they came back home.   it changed America forever, mainly because of the media..........

I understand COVID kills.   Even if a person is old, has preexisting conditions, it's covid that killed........and it killed many healthy people.  

But you are calling it a WORSE fiasco, which is my point.   covid is a virus that wasn't, and probably couldn't have been, managed (run for President if you are smarter and can do a better job)........America went into Vietnam because we faked an attack.............and then bombed Laos and everywhere............millions died because of this fake attack.   that's the fiasco.   

I'm saying America had an amazingly difficult task to control this thing.  yea, it was a fiasco.   like in many countries, a fiasco.   BUT when America left in 1975....that was a bigger fiasco when compared to America pre-1975.   Changed how people think about American military forever.    

we can go on an on and on...............  dust bowl thing, fiasco.   any stock market crash, fiasco.  natural disasters, fiasco........call anything a fiasco.   vietnam was a fiasco with lingering affects.......covid will NOT be talked about in 5-years that much.  maybe that's where we differ.........   lol.    

Dude.  Millions were and ARE still being impacted by this virus.  Impossible to compare this to the Vietnam war.  Stunning you even try.

Covid just doesn't kill.  It makes some very sick, stuck in the hospital for weeks and weeks, and getting out with long term consequences.  58k dead vs. approaching 1MM.  Wow...ridiculous comparison.

America is pretty much back to normal.  No masks, everything is open.

1 hour ago, Jeffr2 said:

Sinovac is NOT the main vaccine here in Thailand now.  It's AZ from now moving forward.  Don't post misinformation.  Again.

D4DE8E0D-C015-4151-89A7-4480B82A79A0-768x1278.png

But it is still N1 on your pictures. Of course "in the future" they can give you promises about Moderna AstraZeneca and Pfizer. Sweet flip-flop promises. Sweet plans. But severe reality.

Edited by friendofthai

More than 700k died from AIDS in USA during the 1980's, more than from Covid.

World wide 34.7 million have died from AIDS. In 2020 690,000 died from AIDS world wide.

Covid is a major danger, no argument there at all.

AIDS is much better, more realistic comparison than Vietnam war IMO

1 hour ago, friendofthai said:

But it is still N1 on your pictures. Of course "in the future" they can give you promises about Moderna AstraZeneca and Pfizer. Sweet flip-flop promises. Sweet plans. But severe reality.

It was the vaccine they started with because it was cheap and the Western nations didn't trust it. For good reasons.

AZ is the main jab now. Being delivered in the millions now. Sinovac is history.

59 minutes ago, Emdog said:

More than 700k died from AIDS in USA during the 1980's, more than from Covid.

World wide 34.7 million have died from AIDS. In 2020 690,000 died from AIDS world wide.

Covid is a major danger, no argument there at all.

AIDS is much better, more realistic comparison than Vietnam war IMO

A bit. CV19, if not contained, will decimate the global population. Something AIDS could never do. But for sure a better comparison!  LOL

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1