Thailand To Spend 6 Million Dollars On Russian Palace

LaoPo

Thailand to spend 6 million dollars on Russian palace

May 23, 2007, 3:23 GMT

Bangkok - Thailand's government has allocated 210 million baht (6.2 million dollars) for the renovation of Peterhof Palace in St Petersburg, Russia, to mark the 110th anniversary of Thai-Russian relations, news reports said Wednesday.

The Thai cabinet on Tuesday gave the green light for the project to renovate the left wing Peterhof palace, where Thai King Chulalongkorn stayed when he visited Russia in 1897, said the Bangkok Post newspaper.

Russian authorities are also planning to join in the project by providing another 4 million dollars to the repair work. King Chulalongkorn, the first Thai monarch to travel extensively in Europe, is credited for modernizing Thailand's bureaucracy and forging its foreign affairs, much as Peter the Great did for Russia.

Peterhof, the summer palace of Peter the Great, is also known as the Russian Versailles.

Source:

http://news.monstersandcritics.com/asiapac..._Russian_palace

LaoPo

When I first read this I thought there must be some quid pro quo to justify this generous donation from a poor country to an energy superpower, but there doesn't seem to be any mention of it. Is anyone aware of what it might be?

Make absolutely NO sence..Thailand is in a real mess & they start donating money to a Country that is far richer in real terms (All the gas/oil being sold to Europe, China etc etc)

Thailand needs to look at sorting out problems in Thailand before dumping money abroad.

Just 1 suggestion………get the highways built to better standards here…..oh Alright one more GET the rail network sorted

Or could it be to win back Russian tourists after the 2 murders on Jomtien beach>>>>>>that has been forgotten about

:o

TIT

When I first read this I thought there must be some quid pro quo to justify this generous donation from a poor country to an energy superpower, but there doesn't seem to be any mention of it. Is anyone aware of what it might be?

There's not much news on this subject, except this*:

THAI-RUSSIAN TIES / 110TH ANNIVERSARY

B210m to be spent on fixing Russian palace

The cabinet yesterday approved a budget for the renovation of Peterhof Palace in St Petersburg, as part of a project to revive ''Thai symbols'' in the Russian city to mark the 110th anniversary of Thai-Russian relations this year. Under the project, Thailand will spend about 210 million baht on renovating the left wing of Peterhof Palace, the royal summer residence founded by Peter the Great.

That wing served as accommodation for King Chulalongkorn (Rama V) during his visit to Russia in 1897.

more news in this link:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/23May2007_news03.php

* and here:

Thailand to spend Bt210 million on Russian palace renovation

BANGKOK, May 23 (TNA) – The Thai government will spend 210 million baht (US$6 million) to renovate part of Peterhof palace, an accommodation of the Romanovs, the Russian imperial family, in which then Siamese King Chulalongkorn (King Rama V) resided during his state visit to Russia in 1897.

The Cabinet approved a budget of 210 million baht to restore the left wing of Peterhof Palace in historic St. Petersburg to mark the 110th anniversary of King Chulalongkorn's visit to Europe and Thai-Russian relations this year, according to Assistant Government Spokesperson Netpreeya Chumchaiyo.

The Thai monarch stayed in that section of the Peterhof palace in 1897.

In collaboration with the Russian Ministry of Culture, the project is also aimed at revive a symbolic Thai presence at St. Petersburg, Russia's royal capital. During the Bolshevik and Communist period the city's name was changed to Leningrad.

The St. Petersburg site is considered as a symbol of good relations between the two countries. The renovation project is a cooperative undertaking between the Thai and Russian governments.

King Rama V is the first Thai monarch to visit Europe in an attempt to modernise the kingdom and to forge relationships with European countries during the heyday of European colonisation and imperialism. (TNA)-E004

source:

http://etna.mcot.net/query.php?nid=29533

LaoPo

Mai ko jai... Is it a new kind of scam? Or are they trying to copy Thaksin, flashing money outside the country? Trying to get rid of all those dollars the BOT has been accumulating? Or just someone somewhere getting 10%???

//Edit: Or maybe they genuinely want to restore this palace far away?

Edited by pete_r

Yeah, gee, hard to figure why Thailand a country with no oil reserves at all to speak of would want to kiss but to a big oil exporter....it just doesn't make sense.

When you hardly have any common sense, what does make sense?

Edited by Maestro
Font formatting codes used for entire post removed for better readability.

6million Bht, a bit more than I spent on an extension to my house and more or less what we plan to spend on building our next house (minus land costs).

In national terms A tiny amount of money in national terms, probably a bargain in terms of a good will gesture.

6million Bht, a bit more than I spent on an extension to my house and more or less what we plan to spend on building our next house (minus land costs).

In national terms A tiny amount of money in national terms, probably a bargain in terms of a good will gesture.

210,000,000 BAHT

Edited by Maestro
Font formatting codes used for entire post removed for better readability.

210,000,000 BAHT

Also, when you consider that many Thai Civil Servants (Teachers among them) get paid late (sometimes 2-3 months behind), I am sure they will be happy that a palace a long way away looks good... :o

210,000,000 BAHT

Even that in national terms is a small amount of money to pay for international goodwill.

Nevermind in terms of a Thai civil servent income, what is it in terms of Russian/Thai commerce?

Celebrating a long standing international relationship with a contribution to the resteration of a Royal Palace.. very much in line with Thai sentiments I'm sure.

Make absolutely NO sence..Thailand is in a real mess & they start donating money to a Country that is far richer in real terms (All the gas/oil being sold to Europe, China etc etc)

That's true, now how can Thailand generate more cash.............................. :D

I know, maybe a 1000% rise in the costs of visas and extensions for a starters, that should cover a few tins of paint for the Moscow job. :o

<deleted>, with all the crying in press, "We can't afford the cost of drugs for the poor! We demand and will have compulsory licenses." Yet, they can afford to help rebuild a palace in Russia at the tune of 6-million dollars. Amazing Thailand.

Edited by frodo

<deleted>, with all the crying in press, "We can't afford the cost of drugs for the poor! We demand and will have compulsory licenses." Yet, they can afford to help rebuild a palace in Russia at the tune of 6-million dollars. Amazing Thailand.

Maybe the money 210,000,000 Bht. which going to help pay the cost of drugs for the poor is not a glamorous job. Thai govt rathers to spend on restoration Russian palace. It's definitely a show case for the international diplomates circuit. It's about 'face' as you know how Thais are.

Remember ? Thaksin did the same by ordering a constructing of 'The Air Force One' jet. Thaksin flew it for ASEAN Conference which held in Vietnam few years back. That jet costs Thai taxpayers a cool over one billion baht.