No Alcohol From 2pm-5pm....

dave111223

I was told I couldn't buy beer at 2 minutes after 2 at tops.

another reason I am delighted to be back in the uk...

And another reason we're delighted you're there too.

Jeez . is this such a big deal to people? Dumspero, you hit the nail on the head personally.

It's a simple law. It's hardly going to ruin people's lives, is it? Get over it.

It's more inconvenient than anything. If I really feel the need to have a couple of beers in the afternoon then there is no problem buying in my soi - it's just a pain if we are out shopping and have alcohol on the shopping list and can't get it when we visit the supermarket.

It's not ending my life, it's just inconvenient. It's just something that there is no logical reason for. There is the argument that it will stop young people drinking, but the places that enforce the rule are also the places that check ID. There are plenty of place that will neither enforce the ban or any age restrictions.

Finally, what was the real reason for this ban. It was one of Thaksin's illogical laws which ranks right up there along with closing petrol stations at night. Laws passed by people that are completely out of touch with their people.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the deal is: "buy a watch and learn how to figure out what time it is".

as simple as that! what's your problem?

The problem is that this law does not and cannot accomplish what it supposed to do, i.e. reduce alcohol consumption. As some other posts noted correctly, is just a nuisance.

It is even more a nuisance when it is applied to some restaurant services just as the Food Loft in Central Chidlom. I was unaware of this law about a year ago and wanted to eat something with a friend visiting from Europe. We had all the lovely food and were looking for a glass of wine with that. NO WAY, cannot sell wine after 2PM! ("Baa chang!")

Such a law should be abolished, because the negative effect on the long run is that people just don't take the Law or the Government for serious anymore. Erosion of respect for the Law.

Same thing happened at Sizzlers at Central Festival on Phuket. We ordered lunch and my friend - a tourist - wanted a beer at 2:05 pm. Answer: Cannot!

Funny thing is anywhere along the beach areas beers are readily available all day/night long.

Any explanations on this one?

the deal is: "buy a watch and learn how to figure out what time it is".

as simple as that! what's your problem?

The problem is that this law does not and cannot accomplish what it supposed to do, i.e. reduce alcohol consumption. As some other posts noted correctly, is just a nuisance.

It is even more a nuisance when it is applied to some restaurant services just as the Food Loft in Central Chidlom. I was unaware of this law about a year ago and wanted to eat something with a friend visiting from Europe. We had all the lovely food and were looking for a glass of wine with that. NO WAY, cannot sell wine after 2PM! ("Baa chang!")

Such a law should be abolished, because the negative effect on the long run is that people just don't take the Law or the Government for serious anymore. Erosion of respect for the Law.

Same thing happened at Sizzlers at Central Festival on Phuket. We ordered lunch and my friend - a tourist - wanted a beer at 2:05 pm. Answer: Cannot!

Funny thing is anywhere along the beach areas beers are readily available all day/night long.

Any explanations on this one?

the places along the beach break the law ... and nobody cares :o

what do international quality tourists wanting a glass of wine with their late lunch think of "Thailand Incomprehensible"

I of course am not one, though i do like a beer around 3 or 4 pm when on holiday.

ok should plan to get beer first oh then how to keep it cold oh do i have to hide it.

Alcohol abuse is a major problem worldwide.

whether that measure makes any difference, I don't know?

what do international quality tourists wanting a glass of wine with their late lunch think of "Thailand Incomprehensible"

I of course am not one, though i do like a beer around 3 or 4 pm when on holiday.

ok should plan to get beer first oh then how to keep it cold oh do i have to hide it.

Alcohol abuse is a major problem worldwide.

whether that measure makes any difference, I don't know?

Well one time I was planning going seing a movie across from world trade in BKK. I was alone and had nothing else to do. I normally enjoy 2 cans of Singh while in the cinema but couldn't get sold in 7-11, so I had an idea.

I seen an old crone on the side of the street selling cold drinks and asked her for 2 beers. She looks left, then looks right (no exaggeration BTW) and delves to the bottom of the ice box. She then spends the next few minutes wrapping both cans seperately in paper and securing the paper with numerous elastic bands, before double bagging it !!

As I crossed the steps towards the Big C cinema I actually felt like I was carrying drugs or something illegal for brief second. Crazy !! :o

Aye, i agree with some of you laddies. This toss law isnae gonnae stop the alcohoes from drinkin themselves tae death.

Now, am no an alchoholic like, but i dae like a few before breakfast like, ok im under-exaggarating - i doon half a bottle. Well if i didnae, how the heck would yae expect me tae type on this forum - you no wit a mean am sure you guys goat a bit a the shakes yerself!

What's the point in no sells between 2-5pm, actually like - that's the best time tae have a sleep after a right decent mornin session like. Got tae cool doon a bit. Unlike those alcoholics who can go on drinkin all day long - i like tae split my daily drinkin sessions intae two - my morning one between 8-12 and my evening one from 5-midnight.

:o:D:D

It does keep a fewer (and by no means all) drivers who drink, drive, and generally don't stock their booze ahead of time from drinking while picking up kids after school... not to mention school bus drivers themselves who have the same job but like to down a few bottles while waiting for school to let out.

I like to have a drink now and then AND my home is well stocked. My car however generally is not and the law has stopped me from drinking on more than a few occasions. And yes, that would also include drinking while driving if I didn't have a driver on duty on that particular day. It's a baby step, but yes that is indeed progress.

:o

The trick with that is order a big beer tower at 5 to 2!

i wonder if buying a glass and getting free beer in it solves it too, hel_l just buy 10 litres worth thats the wholesale limit trigger

Its a little silly to create a new law trying to curb alcohol consumption amongst thai citizens & than not enforce it.

There are never a shortage of shops willing to sell alcohol outside the stipulated trading hours.

Total waste of time & makes tourist's holidays that little more un-enjoyable.

Cheers,

Soundman.

Its a little silly to create a new law trying to curb alcohol consumption amongst thai citizens & than not enforce it.

There are never a shortage of shops willing to sell alcohol outside the stipulated trading hours.

True... but the major alcohol outlets 7-11's, hypermarts such as Tesco-Lotus, Big C, Carrefour, etc. are generally following the rules (although I've had a few allowed exceptions on more than a few occasions).

The law isn't perfect and yes flawed logic was probably part of the process to getting it passed, but it certainly has some effect from 2-5pm. As mentioned, in many cases it might just be enough to get kids home from school safely.

:o