No Alcohol From 2pm-5pm....

dave111223

I went to Tesco to pick up some groceries and also a couple of bottles of Vodka as some friends are coming by at the weekend.

They wouldn't let me buy the vodka because it was between 14:00 and 17:00.... what is the deal with that?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Thai hospitals will prescribe a mild tranquilizer to prevent seizures in the alcohol addicted seizures during the afternoon withdrawal. Many farang are being forced to move to countries where alcohol is available on a 24-hour basis during the last bitter years of the syndrome.

Edited by mdeland

this law has been about ages now, well over a year, probably a lot longer, supermarkets will not serve alcohol between 14.00 and 17.00 hours, saying that i still keep forgetting at times and it <deleted> plsses me off.

Edited by buriramboy

You need to buy 'wholesale' quantities (10 Litres IIRC) then you can get it any time.

We've simply modified our purchase of one case of Chang each week (not allowed) to two cases every other week (allowed).

A case of Chang with your vodka would have been just fine :o

When this rule appeared (2 years ago at least) it was a bind, but now, no problem.

Edited by Crossy

My understanding is that the "licencing hours" are to prevent purchases by school kids. However, that doesn't seem logical, as school kids come out of school at around 4.30/5.00pm. But then logic was never a strong argument, as we know. Also, the ability to buy a case of alcohol somehow doesn't help the argument - it just determines whether you are rich or poor, or whether you have strong arms to carry, or a car, (or know how to fill out a home delivery form). Also there are a couple of supermarkets in Bangkok that sell alcohol any time of day......so maybe it's a question of those shops buying a different licence, (which might be a pseudonym for a more common Thai practice).

Can anyone comment on weather or not it is the law or a suggested policy?

It seems some establishments follow the standard where as others do not.

I can't remember the exact wording at Tesco or Tops but it's something like "we comply with the Govn't policy not to sell alcohol between 1400 and 1700" which leads me to believe that it's something that they would like you to follow but they're not going to hold you to it????

They used to do something like this this in Dublin (but not in the rest of the country).

It was called the "holy hour".

My experience here is that it is only applied in the chain stores (supermarkets and

7/11's) but not in the Mom'n'Pop places.

Once , grabbing a bite on a street resto on Rambuttri (order your food and then pop into

the 7/11 for a can or two of cold Chang) the guy at the till and me end up looking at our

watches for three minutes waiting for the 5 o'clock witching hour so he could take my

money. All part of life's rich pageant. OK it's stupid. So is a lot of stuff.

My experience here is that it is only applied in the chain stores (supermarkets and

7/11's) but not in the Mom'n'Pop places.

Exactly my experience too.

Maybe its the corporate policy for the price of doing business here. Puts them in good standing with the Govn't.

Just don't try to expand anymore you big corporate machine you...

This SILLY law has been around for awhile. I had the same problem at the Tesco Lotus, just for shit and grins I ask the manager WHY, it's the law he said and add something about a prime time for children plus some othe BS.

Anyway not a problem, for most just down the road around the curve your local mom and pop will take your money anytime, come to think of it maybe it's a way the government is helping the local mom and pop stores. HMMMMM!! I wonder :D:o

This SILLY law has been around for awhile. I had the same problem at the Tesco Lotus, just for shit and grins I ask the manager WHY, it's the law he said and add something about a prime time for children plus some othe BS.

Anyway not a problem, for most just down the road around the curve your local mom and pop will take your money anytime, come to think of it maybe it's a way the government is helping the local mom and pop stores. HMMMMM!! I wonder :D:o

Yup - it has happened to me even on a Sunday and believe me my schooldays are so obviously years ago. At Tesco, Big C and Central Festival you can forget about buying alcohol (unless in bulk). Nevertheless it is readily available for purchase at anytime everyday at all the supermarkets and mini marts closer to home in Kata. Just p***s me off that when I do my monthly shops for groceries - I am welcome to spend a fortune there but am not allowed to buy a few bottles of decent wine between these hours.

What is wrong with this picture? :D

The bulk thing's interesting, I didn't know that. How much is "bulk"?

In HH, we have "warehouses" that will serve at any time & a new wine shop that complies with the regs (yeah, that's going to get them custom!). Tesco & 7-11's comply, but other supermarkets will sell at any time. You just go to where they'll serve you. And the mom 'n' pops will sell anything, including 5 bt shots of lao khao to anyone, including kids, at any time... Go figure :o

Yea it's a moronic rule as it serves to do nothing more than p##s people off. I am a Scotsman and tend to like the odd tipple, now and then you understand :o and when I was in Thailand this rule screwed up a few good times.

Eg : a pile of friends came round to the beach house I was staying at near Ao Makham bay, Phuket and we partied hard until booze was gone. Next day I went to the local (and only) 7-11 and was told the usual "khaai mai dai" or can't sell. Which was a bit weird as the staff there never cared until that one occasion, which was also the only occasion that we were desperate. I know there were other places we could have gone, but since it was a house with it's own stretch of beach and ample cooking facilities we didn't see much reason to leave the house and start driving about - no taxi's there !!

A lot of people - probably non drinkers - will probably disagree with this and say something about AA or "do you really need drink to enjoy yourself", or "could you not wait another 5 hours for a drink" ? And my answer is "NO" :D What sort of party has someone tap a glass with a fork to get people's attention just to say"Sorry folks I know you are enjoying yourself, but we will have to wait until the government tells us it is okay to buy more alcohol, so please retire to your rooms, and without getting your pudding" LOL

I respect Thailand is doing it's thing but I also reckon it is one of the most insane policies to date.

Another example was when my Mother arrived in Bangkok for a holiday. The first day we went to a fancy Chinese restaurant with mostly farang clientèle or Hi-So Thai types etc etc. When presented with the menu I ordered a nice bottle of red wine (My Mum's fave) just to be told "cannot sell, you like Cola, Fanta, Water?" to which I replied I had just lost my appetite and left. My mother is not a drinker but we had set out to have a lovely afternoon over a couple of bottles of wine with a nice slow paced meal. One without the other would have just been lame.

IF, this policy was actually saving people from the brink of death due to alcohol addiction, or even stopping the young from experimenting then I would actually respect it. I don't think anybody of a sane mind can think this is a positive and logical step forwards for a country with a massive tourist population of over 12 million visitors a year. Some people save their money over years with the dream goal being a 2 week holiday in Thailand to "let the hair down", would that be sparkling, or non sparkling Perrier with your meal, Sir :D

:D

It just seems dumb,

If they want to stop teenagers drinking why not just require ID to buy?

And do they really think a hardcore alcoholic would be affected by a 3 hour block on sales in the middle of the afternoon?

I'd just really like to hear the offical reason for it. I mean when they brought this rule out they must have said why?

Seems like one of those rules where a guy in a "high position" came up with it and no one wanted to "break his face".

It just seems dumb,

If they want to stop teenagers drinking why not just require ID to buy?

Because there are grownup thais with a much more smaller brain than a 4th grader :o

Anyway, this law, like many other laws in Thailand, is VERY dumb. Lucky me that I'm only drinking occasionally on weekends :D

Funny story...

I walked into the wine and bottle shop next to the supermarket at Paragon, looking for red wine.

The store was open and I was shown where the 'Spanish reds' were when I asked. After a few minutes of browsing I chose a bottle and brought it up to the counter only to be told that you can't buy alcohol between those hours.

(But they didn't sell anything else, so what the hel_l?)

Funny story...

I walked into the wine and bottle shop next to the supermarket at Paragon, looking for red wine.

The store was open and I was shown where the 'Spanish reds' were when I asked. After a few minutes of browsing I chose a bottle and brought it up to the counter only to be told that you can't buy alcohol between those hours.

They would have happily sold you 10 bottles .... :o

Funny story...

Funny story...

They would have happily sold you 10 bottles .... :D

:o

This law has been on the books for many years, and was resurrected about 2 years ago in Bangkok. The reality is that the majors {7/11 etc.} till system make it difficult for the staff to breach the rule even if they know you since the time of the alcohol sale is recorded. In fact there are some real wonderful ones from the 60's and earlier relating to how alcohol can be sold which are still o the statute book.

As has been noted wholesale provision {which is calculated by volume} is exempt.

In Pattaya the rule has only recently started to be enforced but again a non till environment would have less issues.

Regards

The main times this law really PMO-ed was when I was on the ferry going home from visa runs. Always had a nice cold brewskie, while watching the scenery. I got around it by buying beers somewhere before boarding. In the village, always bought wine and beer from Aunty's store; she never knew what time it was anyway.

This law has been on the books for many years, and was resurrected about 2 years ago in Bangkok. The reality is that the majors {7/11 etc.} till system make it difficult for the staff to breach the rule even if they know you since the time of the alcohol sale is recorded. In fact there are some real wonderful ones from the 60's and earlier relating to how alcohol can be sold which are still o the statute book.

As has been noted wholesale provision {which is calculated by volume} is exempt.

In Pattaya the rule has only recently started to be enforced but again a non till environment would have less issues.

Regards

Thailand probably has a Ministry Of Dodgy Laws, inventing these things as they go along. They have a lot of antiquated and really dumb laws in the book dating from who-knows-when that are never repealed, just in case the next dictator du jour could selectively enforce one or two to their advantage.

The present alcohol law was re-enacted after some international report found that Thais are high in the league table of whisky drinkers worldwide or something, so knee-jerk denial mode kicked in... :o