Marriage

Hi,

I'm planning to go to thailand with my gf at the end of the year, get married there and stay.

But every person i talk to give me different answers.

If i go there and get married week later how long can i stay?

I guess not to long so is it possible to get some kind of extension not leaving country?

Goal is to stay there forever, so maybe you guys know what is the best way?

And about work permit. Some people say it's necessary to have a degree and some say it's only for teaching - who is right?

I will assume your GF is Thai.

You will enter on a tourist visa I would guess (you obtain at a Consulate and allows a 60 day stay) and after marriage you would be able to extend that stay another 60 days as a one time deal if you wish.

To stay longer will require a non immigrant O visa on the basis of your marriage and that allows a 90 day stay. A multi entry type of this is available at a limited number of Consulates that is valid for one year and allows unlimited travel - but each stay can only be up to 90 days.

If you meet specific conditions, including 40k baht per month family income your stay can be extended at an immigration office on a yearly basis.

You require a job that allows the issue of a work permit to obtain one. Degree is not a requirement for a work permit but is often required for teaching.

You will enter on a tourist visa I would guess (you obtain at a Consulate and allows a 60 day stay) and after marriage you would be able to extend that stay another 60 days as a one time deal if you wish.

You can save some trouble by applying for a Type-O at a Consulate before you leave for Thailand.

When i came to Thailand to get married i applied for a type-O before leaving the US. On the form i put down "Visitng Friends" as reason for visit.

And had my g/f (now wife) write me a letter of invitation (in Thai) to go along with the application.

This visa was good for 3 months, and extending it to a 1 year visa after marriage was quite simple.

Doing this would save you the step of upgrading your Tourist visa to a type-O.