Thailand golf clubs step up vaccine rollout for staff

G1.jpg

With the Thai government focusing on preparing places like Phuket to welcome back tourists, they should not forget that one of the country’s main sources of income is its golf tourism.

One sport that has actually been accepted globally as a safe activity has been golf. It seems that golf is seen as a popular form of outdoor exercise for many and is great for social distancing too. 

This is borne out by companies such as Callaway Golf, who have reported record breaking first quarter sales, as thousands of new Americans are taking up the sport and are heading for the courses for exercise and the fresh air.

Here in Thailand, golf in the past has attracted thousands of high spending international golf vacationers, and certainly the country aims to welcome them back again as soon as the borders start to reopen.

Vaccinations for Caddies

G2.jpg

To achieve this goal, the Thai golf industry is reacting by starting to fast track vaccinations for golf club staff.

One of the first to vaccinate staff was Phoenix Gold Golf and Country Club in Pattaya. Their GM said that all their caddies and staff were vaccinated last month, and they expect to all receive their second jab this month.

In Phuket which is being prepared to accept tourists next month the Director of Golf at Laguna Phuket Darren Robson said, “the golf course now has the SHA + approval meaning more than 72% of staff have been fully vaccinated.”

It is understood that several clubs across Thailand have started to assist staff in registering for vaccinations that are due to start in the next few weeks.

According to a senior manager at Siam Country Clubs HQ, she explained that most of their caddies and staff at their four Pattaya courses had received their first vaccine.

Also, Stuart Daly Director of Golf at Banyan in Hua Hin said, “Our club had been assisting staff to register; however, their province was not due to start mass vaccinations for a few months.”

Staff at Thai Country Club near Bangkok have also started to receive their first vaccinations, while staff at Navitanee had started to register and their GM expected them to start being vaccinated shortly.

Around SE Asia the news is varied

Naturally, golf clubs in places like Singapore where most of the population had been already vaccinated, have been covered.

Cambodia, which has received vaccines from China, has vaccinated 40% of the population in Phnom Penh and 20% in Siem Reap. 

However, Vietnam and Indonesia are lagging behind their neighbours, and have not caught up yet. 

Mark Siegel, the Chairman of Asia’s leading tour operator Golfasian said, This is good news to hear golf clubs are getting their act together, as it is vital we can show international golf vacationers, that it is not only airports and hotels that are taking precautions, but the same applies on the golf course as well.”

Visit Thaivisa’s golf forum for the latest news, offers and discussion about golf in Thailand.

Mike Bridge Golf Editor in Chief, thaivisa.com 

12 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

Excuse me?

How do golf clubs and associations get to “fast track” their staff vaccinations? Why aren’t they registering and taking their place in the queue like other mortals?

Because a 30 day GOLF tourist probably spends more money than a expat does all year 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
13 minutes ago, Rocking Robert said:

Because a 30 day GOLF tourist probably spends more money than a expat does all year 

So money becomes the excuse for getting a vaccination before others. 

36 minutes ago, Keesters said:

Money is the excuse for getting just about anything before others. 

36 minutes ago, Keesters said:

I thought that was already pretty much a given........🤭

As far a golf course here go it is hardly across the board and appears to be only the higher tier places 

Thank goodness vaccines are being acquired nationwide and redistributed to vaccinate these poor, aging grandmothers with multiple health problems.

SHs.jpg.275037cd6eb24284312536fe4f6af2fb.jpg

53 minutes ago, Keesters said:

I don't know if you have noticed but the tourism industry in Thailand is quite large employing millions and has been the hardest hit. 

Around the country they have vaccinated people from the tourist industry first. Most have had their second shot now in Phuket.

It might not be what is acceptable to the human rights/woke/LGBTQ/PC brigade in the West, but in Thailand they don't carry on with all that nonsense so they can just do what is most effective and beneficial.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
9 minutes ago, connda said:

Thank goodness vaccines are being acquired nationwide and redistributed to vaccinate these poor, aging grandmothers with multiple health problems.

SHs.jpg.275037cd6eb24284312536fe4f6af2fb.jpg

Well the old aging grandmothers are likely to stay home and not be exposed because of natural social distancing.

Whereas the younger caddies out working to bring income to feed old granny are, and if they take it home with them old granny could die from it.

The younger caddies are also more likely to visit all their boyfriends up close and friends spreading it further. Especially now we have the highly contagious UK strain running rampant around the country. Old granny hasn't got up close and personal for a couple of decades now.

I can see you don't agree with it, but it makes sense to me.

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

hardly a priority at the moment?

To achieve this goal, the Thai golf industry is reacting by starting to fast track vaccinations for golf club staff.

Exactly.  And yet it's made a priority and then is unabashedly celebrated by the owners/operators and media alike. 
Are young caddies and young staff obtaining vaccines before the infirm and elderly throughout Thailand, especially the infirm and elderly villagers up-country? 

If I wrote this article and was the object of its reporting I'd want to assure the public that the vaccines being sourced do not in anyway impact those who need them the most for public health reasons, like all of the elderly, infirm, and Covid vulnerable people in Thailand. 

• Thanks 2
2 minutes ago, RobMuir said:

Well the old aging grandmothers are likely to stay home and not be exposed because of natural social distancing.

Whereas the younger caddies out working to bring income to feed old granny are, and if they take it home with them old granny could die from it.

The younger caddies are also more likely to visit all their boyfriends up close and friends spreading it further. Especially now we have the highly contagious UK strain running rampant around the country. Old granny hasn't got up close and personal for a couple of decades now.

This is putting the interests of the wealthy and their business interests before public health.  And you are an apologist.  Your reply is incorrigible and unconscionably. 
"Granny can stay home!"  How amazingly callus.  You've lost your humanity.

And yet my guess is that the owers/operators feel the same as you.  Imho, this is pathetic example of placing the wealthy before the absolutely most vulnerable within the public community.  Par for the course in Thailand though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
32 minutes ago, connda said:
23 minutes ago, connda said:

Par for the course in Thailand though.

Well that was a clever Thai bashing golf pun.

Good one.

I have found that us rich people get priority in all countries in varying ways. I see it as a small reward for all the benefits that the poor receive from the high taxes i pay.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1
2 hours ago, RobMuir said:

This is a recent TVF item -Posted June 4

"Update for anyone interested in playing golf in Ubon.  The RTAFB golf course is undergoing a major renovation.  A rough guess would be they have already spent north of 100 million baht pretty much changing the whole course design/layout.  Hundreds of trees have been removed; and, water hazards have been expanded/added to nearly every hole.  Three new holes have been added, at least 6 holes have had their greens changed/moved; and, tees have been moved/lengthened on many holes.  Two of the new holes are par 5's (not open yet) that appear to be in the 600-700 yard range in length. You almost need binoculars to see the green(s) from the tee boxes.  My guess is it will be close to another year before completion; but, the base commander has put everything on a fast track; so, it could be done in 6 months.  I have to say, it's an amazing sight to see that much money being spent on a military golf course in a non tourist area (actually anywhere for that matter)"

There is a military course I play in a different province where extensive improvements are being carried out at tax-payers's expense.

A clear demonstration of this military government's total disregard for the welfare (vaccines/hospitals/pensions/unemployment benefits) for the vast majority of Thais who never play golf.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, mrfill said:

Far too dangerous game to be allowed. Should be banned on injury grounds...

https://golfsupport.com/blog/sports-related-injuries-golf-more-dangerous-than-rugby/

B.S. Been golfing since I was 13, and 74 now. 2 or 3 rounds a week never missed a day of work or been hospitalized from a golfing incedent . You obviously have never been on a golf course...

3 hours ago, RobMuir said:

I don't know if you have noticed but the tourism industry in Thailand is quite large employing millions and has been the hardest hit. 

Around the country they have vaccinated people from the tourist industry first. Most have had their second shot now in Phuket.

It might not be what is acceptable to the human rights/woke/LGBTQ/PC brigade in the West, but in Thailand they don't carry on with all that nonsense so they can just do what is most effective and beneficial.

Your statement: “Most have had their second shot in Phuket” is another of your barefaced lies Mr Muir.

less than 30% have had their second shot and that doesn’t get close to being “most”.

I believe Phuket News carries the exact figure and you should perhaps check with that before posting nonsense that misleads. As at 7th June the figure was 98,949 people who had had both shots in Phuket. The precise population of Phuket varies by definition, but 400,000 is a reasonable round amount to use. 

it is now 12th June, the ball is in your court to prove that more than 50% of people have now had both shots.  And bear in mind that when I walked into Central Mall today there wasn’t a SINGLE person in the car park seating area or inside vaccination centre. So your claim isn’t likely to become true any time soon.

time to stop repeatedly spouting your misleading claims and state facts in future.

Thank you in advance.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

is now 12th June, the ball is in your court to prove that more than 50% of people have now had both shots.

With the greatest if respect sir unfortunately you have misunderstood. I was referring to the people in the hospitality industry in Phuket, not the general population. 

They were given priority.

I hope that clears it up for you.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, RobMuir said:

With the greatest if respect sir unfortunately you have misunderstood. I was referring to the people in the hospitality industry in Phuket, not the general population. 

They were given priority.

I hope that clears it up for you.

Not really. It’s just another one of your sweeping generalizations with no facts, figures or sources to back you up.

unless you do have some. Do you?

17 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

Not really. It’s just another one of your sweeping generalizations with no facts, figures or sources to back you up.

unless you do have some. Do you?

Yes, first hand knowledge actually.

And common knowledge amongst Thai speakers. Maybe you don't speak any Thai? 

It has been going on for 6 weeks now. 

I am not offended by your post, you weren't to know.

Here you go, it is old news now....

Good luck mate.

https://www.hospitalitynet.org/news/4104615.html

https://www.anantara.com/en/press-releases/anantara-resorts-in-thailand-vaccinated-for-covid19

https://www.pkru.ac.th/en/news-feature/2402-covid-19-vaccine

Just now, joebrown said:

9 hours ago, RobMuir said:

Yes, first hand knowledge actually.

And common knowledge amongst Thai speakers. Maybe you don't speak any Thai? 

It has been going on for 6 weeks now. 

I am not offended by your post, you weren't to know.

Here you go, it is old news now....

Good luck mate.

https://www.hospitalitynet.org/news/4104615.html

https://www.anantara.com/en/press-releases/anantara-resorts-in-thailand-vaccinated-for-covid19

https://www.pkru.ac.th/en/news-feature/2402-covid-19-vaccine

It seems the Governor of Phuket knows a lot more about the readiness to accept fully vaccinated tourists from 1st July than yourself. 

So much for your 3 links above. Where exactly did you get your 'First hand' knowledge? A rhetorical question, as you are the font of all knowledge in Thailand!

17 hours ago, hotchilli said:

hardly a priority at the moment?

Depends where you are coming from. Thailand desperately needs overseas tourists and golfers are more likely to spend more cash than a group of lads out for a few nights fun. I agree the selection of who has first option for jabs is a bit haphazard but owners of golf clubs tend to know the right contacts.

• Thanks 1
15 hours ago, connda said:

Exactly.  And yet it's made a priority and then is unabashedly celebrated by the owners/operators and media alike. 
Are young caddies and young staff obtaining vaccines before the infirm and elderly throughout Thailand, especially the infirm and elderly villagers up-country? 

If I wrote this article and was the object of its reporting I'd want to assure the public that the vaccines being sourced do not in anyway impact those who need them the most for public health reasons, like all of the elderly, infirm, and Covid vulnerable people in Thailand. 

The point of the article is to state the facts and at the moment a fraction of the 260 Thai golf clubs have vacinated their staff. That is fact.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, joebrown said:

Where exactly did you get your 'First hand' knowledge? A rhetorical question, as you are the font of all knowledge in Thailand!

Friends in high places.

I know hotel owners in Phuket who were vaccinated last month and all their staff.

Same as in the links I provided you with if you bothered to read them.

Here is one owner who sent me a photo of her getting her second shot on 19th May. She offered to get me done by I declined.

Certainly more reliable than poorly translated statements from Thai politicians in the press.

1623308461414..jpg

18 minutes ago, Thaivisa Golf said:

Depends where you are coming from. Thailand desperately needs overseas tourists and golfers are more likely to spend more cash than a group of lads out for a few nights fun. I agree the selection of who has first option for jabs is a bit haphazard but owners of golf clubs tend to know the right contacts.

Money injected into golf courses from golfers at the moment stays within golf courses, as they are not allowed to travel. Thailand needs vaccines in the whole country to help everyone make some money.

Not just the elite golf course owners.

• Like 2

So the vaccination priority list maybe goes something like this:

1. PM

2. The rest of the government

3. Families and friends of above.

4. Armed forces (officers)

5. Police (officers)

6. Submarine captains

7. Astronauts

6. Golfers

7. Frontline medical staff

8. Private hospitals

9. Phuket

10. Uncle Tom Cobley (Thai)

11. Uncle Tom Cobley (The rest)

I'm sure I'm mistaken.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
18 hours ago, Keesters said:

Never has been the excuse with this corrupt administration, just always the reason.  High ranking generals and police who play at the clubs and usually for free just love to bang some of the caddies so hence it is vitality important that these weasels can carry on doing  what they believe is their god given right.