when to buy and...

1FinickyOne

I have a 27 inch desktop... maybe 10+ yrs old now...

I have looked at similar to replace new, and the specs seem abt the same, there seem to be some choices...

I am pretty minimalist on the computer... have 1TB   2.7ghz intel core i5.. mem 4gb

It serves me pretty well but slowing down surely and spinning wheels too often

Is there a new model just out or coming soon? 

I remember hearing that every couple of years, power/speed doubles and prices drop 50%... that does not seem to be true?? 

Absolutely there is an M1 or MX due very soon So wait for that as that will be a huge jump in performance. 

However Moore's law is the observation that the number of transistors in a dense integrated circuit (IC) doubles about every two years is still functioning. 

That doesn’t mean that Apple is upgrading at the same speed. 

There is also the fact that your storage is on spinning pieces of metal and today it’s Solid State Disks and that also gives an enormous jump in speed. 

BUT the OS today is doing a lot more than the OS of 10 years ago and that eats into performance gains

2012 iMac 27" available CPUs

Performance: 2.9 GHz: 747 (Single-Core) 2359 (Multi-Core)

3.2 GHz: 748 (Single-Core) 2439 (Multi-Core)

3.4 GHz: 812 (Single-Core) 3087 (Multi-Core)

2020 iMac 27" available CPUs

Performance: 3.1 GHz: 1119 (Single-Core) 5839 (Multi-Core)

3.3 GHz: 1172 (Single-Core) 6016 (Multi-Core)

3.8 GHz: 1249 (Single-Core) 7972 (Multi-Core)

3.6 GHz: 1252 (Single-Core) 9076 (Multi-Core)

the M1 iMac 24” with an 8-core CPU achieves single-core scores of around 1,700 and multi-core scores of around 7,400. 

single core

https://browser.geekbench.com/mac-benchmarks

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, jackdd said:

but in your post you didn't mention Apple.

Between the lines he did:

I have a 27 inch desktop... maybe 10+ yrs old now...

have 1TB   2.7ghz intel core i5.. mem 4gb

????????

Either way, if you buy M1 hardware now, or M2x or whatever they're going to come up with later this year, make sure you get as much RAM as you can. I got me an M1 Macbook with 16GB recently and these 16GB are just about ok. If you only use BigSur standard apps, you may quickly fill 9 or 10 gigabytes. Opening an Appstore app or two and you easily hit the 15GB mark.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, jackdd said:

You are looking for an Apple? You obviously posted in the Apple forum, but in your post you didn't mention Apple.

For Apple things this website tells you if it's a good time to buy, or if there is probably an update soon: https://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

Yes thanks. Looking for an Apple... very helpful website... 

Do those prices coordinate w/Thai prices and availability in Chiang Mai ?

5 hours ago, 1FinickyOne said:

Usually Thailand is more expensive.

You can check the Thai prices on the Apple website: https://www.apple.com/th-en/shop/browse/home_th_en

The prices on this website and in the Apple shops are the same. Shops might not have everything in stock.

A while ago I ordered an Ipad which the shop didn't have in stock, arrived within a few days from Singapore with DHL Express, import taxes are included in the price.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, 1FinickyOne said:

The prices you will see on the Apple website at https://www.apple.com/th-en/shop/buy-mac/imac

are virtually universal in Thailand. There is almost zero discounting on the newest Apple products and buying from Apple allows you to exactly configure your Mac.

currently the only iMac available is the 24” any larger ones in shops are (new)older model Intel machines. Since you aren’t in a great hurry your choices for the best Mac are either get a 24” now or wait for the larger screen machines to be released. An Intel iMac today only makes sense if you have an immediate need and must have the larger screen. It’s going to loose value as soon a the M1/Mx larger screen machines are available.

Due to the chip shortages this could be later than Apple wants. 

• Thanks 1