SS & ATM

I still have what was once the mandatory Bangkok Bank account for my social security retirement check. I was the first in this area to do so and initially the bank was confused on how to setup the account. It took a few times, but eventually everything was sorted. That's been over four years now and I still have to go in to town every few months or so to make a withdrawal in person.

Since the US government changed the rules and according to the embassy email from Manila, I can now withdraw my money via an ATM instead of making the long trek into town. My question is has anyone successfully changed their specific SS/Bangkok Bank account to this new system? It would be considerably easier to just get an ATM card instead of having to setup a totally new account and sending all of that information to Manila. 

Edited by George Bowman

As far as I know Bangkok Bank has not changed their requirements for the direct deposit account.

You could call the main office in Bangkok and ask them about it. 

This is still on their website.

"Conditions

Bangkok Bank cannot authorize the withdrawal of funds from your direct deposit account by an appointed representative, or via ATM or any other electronic channel. You must appear in person at a Bangkok Bank branch to withdraw the funds. You can, however, open a normal savings or current account and transfer the funds from your direct deposit account to this account. You may then withdraw your funds as usual via ATM or any other electronic channel."

On dropdown here. https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Other-Services/Transfers/Transferring-Into-Thailand/Transfer-money-from-US-to-Thailand-via-Bangkok-Bank-NewYork-branch

On 6/16/2021 at 9:18 AM, ubonjoe said:

As far as I know Bangkok Bank has not changed their requirements for the direct deposit account.

And you would be correct. This morning I personally talked to one of the head money counters in Bangkok. He said at this point nothing has changed with these SS accounts and Bangkok Bank's policy with the US. Something about the computer program will not allow an ATM to be attached with these type of accounts. Have to setup a new account. Bummer... 

There are AFAIK two methods of sending SS payments now - the old system as ACH transfer via Bangkok Bank New York and that would continue to require an access only in person account (so your death is not concealed and others take out money - Bangkok Bank would have to repay USG).

But now there is direct deposit to any bank in selected countries, including Thailand, under the new system and that does not require any special account or involve New York office of Bangkok Bank.  

Believe that would have to be set up via Manila SS office.