Phitsanulok schools closed after one day of reopening following COVID-19 infections

webfact

PL2.jpg

Six schools in Chart Trakarn and Nakhon Thai districts of Thailand’s northern province of Phitsanulok have been ordered to close until further notice, after only one day of school reopening for the new school term on Monday, when the parents of a student and a cable technician were found to be infected with COVID-19.

The Phitsanulok provincial educational chief, Mr. Luechai Chunakha, said he received a report, from a subordinate in Chart Trakarn district, that the parents of a student at Huaychangthang School in Suan Miang sub-district, who had just returned from the Bon Kai community in Klong Toey district of Bangkok, were infected with the disease and several family members, including their two children at the school, are at high risk of getting infected.

As a result, the administrator of the school decided to close it and all students were told to get work assignments from their teachers and to do them at home.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/phitsanulok-schools-closed-after-one-day-of-reopening-following-covid-19-infection/

Logo-top-.png

4 hours ago, webfact said:

As a result, the administrator of the school decided to close it and all students were told to get work assignments from their teachers and to do them at home.

As most sensible people thought, it's not time to open schools, there's just too much infection in the population that needs to be sorted out.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

As most sensible people thought, it's not time to open schools, there's just too much infection in the population that needs to be sorted out.

Nonsense.  Students need to be educated and teachers need to work.  Infection rates are not exactly high compared to other countries, and death rates are remarkably low.  If they wait until Covid is "sorted out" it might be many months, or years, before schools can open.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Nonsense.  Students need to be educated and teachers need to work.  Infection rates are not exactly high compared to other countries, and death rates are remarkably low.  If they wait until Covid is "sorted out" it might be many months, or years, before schools can open.

Some people with vested interest might prefer it to remain that way.

2 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

So will schools be closed whenever a student or staff member tests positive?  Covid won't be vanishing for years (if ever), so it seems ridiculous to do this.

I expect the staff and parents will all get vaccinated eventually. That may help ease fears and stop schools closing  if there happens to be a positive case.

but when is “eventually” I wonder?

• Like 1

With respect I did say this would happen a couple of days ago, I have friends slightly further north who only received their 1st jab on the 7th, they are no way protected as yet, but there are people here screaming open all the schools & universities, the youngsters may not be at risk but the older unprotected teachers & staff certainly are, so do you you people shouting for schools to open ignore this fact ???

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

With respect I did say this would happen a couple of days ago, I have friends slightly further north who only received their 1st jab on the 7th, they are no way protected as yet, but there are people here screaming open all the schools & universities, the youngsters may not be at risk but the older unprotected teachers & staff certainly are, so do you you people shouting for schools to open ignore this fact ???

For me, the answer is 'yes'.  Older or particularly vulnerable people can choose to remain at home.   Covid is not only contracted at schools; they could get it on the bus, at the market or anywhere.  Unfortunately Covid is here and there is a risk of getting it, and for some, of getting very sick, or worse.  But closing down schools for a lengthy period will cause more damage to people's educational future, mental health and incomes.

Edited by brewsterbudgen
  • Like 1