Opening a bank account on Non-immigrant O visa in Korat

I have read many of topics on this subject but none have given me any luck. I have been to 3 banks so far. 2 in terminal 21 and the main Bangkok Bank by Ya Mo.  At the 2 banks in Terminal 21, I did not get pass the "need work permit". I am on a Non-immigrant O visa with no work permit. At the Bangkok Bank, the worker behind the desk took my passport and entered information in the computer and then refused saying in Thai that I had to go to embassy. I asked for the manager thinking maybe he spoke English. He did speak some English but they got on the phone and called somebody who spoke better English. This person explained that I need to go to the US embassy and have my passport authenticated. I do not understand if my passport with my non immigrant O visa glued inside with the the stamp from immigration at the airport then why does the passport need to be authenticated. I had my new rental agreement in hand. Someone on facebook suggested I go to immigration and get some form that would cost me about 500 baht. My stepson (driver), my wife and I went to immigration. we filled out paperwork and I will go back on Friday and pick up the registration of the house. I don't know if this will help but I am open to any suggestions.

I opened mine at Bangkok Bank (in Bangkok) 3 years ago. After many unsuccessful attempts on my own so I could convert the 90 day visa to a non-O extension based on retirement, my immigration attorney took me to see his friend at BKK Bank that happily opened an account for me with the understanding that I buy their accident insurance policy. For less than 500 baht per month I get 3 million baht of medical / hospital coverage for any type of accident. Living in Bangkok, I stand more chance getting run over by a motorcycle on the footpath than I do of catching Covid-19!

I opened mine in the Terminal 21 Bangkok Bank........I imagine they are refusing because they want you to get someone like Siam Legal to do all the paperwork and they get a share of money......only guessing.......I did mine using Siam Legal.....about 3000 baht......all done in an hour.

Last November in Chiang Mai at a local Bangkok Bank branch, I only needed a Residence Certificate from Immigration and my passport.  At the time I had newly relocated to Thailand and only had the initial non-Immigrant O visa still on the original 90 day permission to stay.  Kasikorn bank adamantly refused to open an account with the same documents.

At the time, Immigration would make you wait about 3 weeks for the RC or pay the 500฿ bribe and get it next day.  in April at CM Immigration they didn't mention the "expedited" option, offering only a 50 calendar day turnaround timeframe.

I opened a bank A/C at Kasikorn bank last Friday in Baan & Beyond Khon Kaen, no problems at all. It took about an hour of form filling, many signatures and my Thai ID card and passport, then a call to head office for confirmation for some reason. Biggest problem was setting up the phone app. it can't be done using your internet connection, only via the phone company internet. Here's the best bit, 958 swipes on the calendar to input my date of birth.

2 hours ago, Satcommlee said:

They dont wsnt US customers because of the FACTA obligations, it is a risk for them.

Yes I opened an account last year, no work permit/embassy letter etc only passport, but a guy I was with was initially refused because she thought him from US.  I didnt understand then but now I know why.

• Like 1

I have had multiple accounts over the past 15 years (SCB, Kasikorn, Bangkok Bank) which I deleted for tax reasons. For my visa I opened an account at Citibank which went without any problem. I have a non-O retirement visa, no work permit. Then, for another reason I needed a separate account and opened it at Krungsri bank.  The main requirement was a proof of where I lived. I live in an apartment which is in my wife's name, so we drew up a rental contract from her to me and that was enough to get the tick in the box.

This on and off thing with opening a bank account has been going on for as long as I can remember.  I have an account with Kasikorn and at the time I opened it, all I needed was a Non O visa and a confirmation of address from Korat Immigration.  When I went to them in March 2020 to open a joint account with my wife, they said the rules had changed and they now only opened accounts for those with a work permit or a retirement visa.  I was shown that info on the tablet the girl was carrying around the bank.  Then a few months ago I saw a post on here that said they'd relaxed that requirement and were now back to just requesting a Non O.  I had reason to speak to the call centre in Bangkok a couple of months ago and asked them about the relaxation - the agent I spoke to confirmed that but you can bet your bottom dollar that some branches don't know.  Due to the current situation I haven't been back to Thailand for 15 months so I haven't tried again yet but I will.

The address confirmation is pretty much standard but yours is the first time I've heard of a passport needing to be authenticated.  I know how ridiculous it sounds - they let you into the country with your passport but now they want it checking?  However, if that's what they want, just do it.  You will find that some banks in other areas such as Bangkok or Pattaya can be much easier but be aware, if you open one out of your arear, once you are out of your branch's locality, you are very likely to be charged transaction fees - I know Kasikorn do that even if I'm paying money in.  Take the offer in Korat.

If you're going to get a driving licence, you'd be well advised to get another address confirmation whilst you're at immigration as you'll need a separate one for that.  They normally expire in 3 months by the way. To the best of my knowledge there shouldn't be a fee for the service but its been 500 baht at Korat for a long time - you don't really have a choice.

You will find that passport authentification is becoming a requirement for quite a few things.  For the last few years its been a requirement to get married in Thailand - they even want a translation of the authentification and the MFA have to certify that translation - welcome to Thailand.

If you've had an offer of a bank account and all they want is your passport authenticating - do it before they change their minds.

I don't think this is anything about you being from the US - the banks keep getting agro from the government regarding money laundering - that's the main reason. I'm not from the US and I've been refused many times in the past - mainly with Bangkok Bank coincidentally.

You may be told you have to buy insurance to be able to open an account - that's rubbish, its a con.  All that Kasikorn tried with me is that if I took out insurance with them my ATM card would be free - I refused and paid for my card.

Thank you to all that contributed. Yesterday I received the registered copy from Nakhon Ratchasima Immigration for my rental agreement. Then we went to KBank suggested by my wife's Aunt. My wife's Aunt's daughter knew someone at KBank. 40 minutes later, we had 2 accounts. 1 for my money for my extension of stay and the other in my wife's and my name as house account to work with for sales, payments and groceries, etc. Next step is to register our marriage.

• Like 1

You need to visit main office of the Bank.

Some 14 years ago I was told by local branch to go to central office of Bangkok bang in Silom Rd.

The looked at my O visa and opened the account with no hustle. Including 2 debit cards and online banking.

On 6/19/2021 at 8:21 AM, oceanbreeze851 said:

Thank you to all that contributed. Yesterday I received the registered copy from Nakhon Ratchasima Immigration for my rental agreement. Then we went to KBank suggested by my wife's Aunt. My wife's Aunt's daughter knew someone at KBank. 40 minutes later, we had 2 accounts. 1 for my money for my extension of stay and the other in my wife's and my name as house account to work with for sales, payments and groceries, etc. Next step is to register our marriage.

Success! Good to hear a positive ending!  One less stressor, account established.

It was very easy for me to open an account at Bangkok Bank head office in Silom 3 years without any visa (at that time I entered on visa exemption). The only thing is that I counldn't have access to internet or mobile banking. When 2 years ago I got a 3 months Non O visa, All restrictions were lufted and I could have access to internet and mobile banking. Since that time I got twice a 1 year extension which I lost due to the pandemic (I was in France when it expired)