Hedge cutter

Been looking on Lazada for a petrol hedge cutter, on one I looked at it had the tips below is this really necessary

TIPS : When the engine is not used for more than 5 days, drain the oil from the tank and start until the engine stops.

Storage: When the mower has not been used for more than 15 days, drain the oil out of the tank. Then start the engine and leave it until the engine is off. so that no oil remains in the carburetor. Remove the spark plug. clean up Then drop about 10 drops of #40 engine oil into the cylinder block (in the spark plug hole) and pull the starter assembly 2-3 times to lubricate it. Piston and internal parts Put the spark plug back in its original place.

9 hours ago, 2long said:

I certainly hope they're referring to FUEL and not engine oil! 

Most hedge cutters are 2-stroke engine's ,and do not have engine oil .

AS VN said ,a lot of hassels for just 15 days ,my 2 stroke strimmer  has been left for longer ,without anything done to it ,and it still went first, second pull.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, kickstart said:

Most hedge cutters are 2-stroke engine's ,and do not have engine oil .

AS VN said ,a lot of hassels for just 15 days ,my 2 stroke strimmer  has been left for longer ,without anything done to it ,and it still went first, second pull.

I know.

so do they mean gearbox oil, or if the 2-stroke mixes itself, the 2-stroke oil... or if pre-mix, the fuel? I'm guessing the pre-mixed fuel from the carb... but to drain it all from the tank seems stupid.

On 6/19/2021 at 8:33 AM, sometime said:

When the engine is not used for more than 5 days, drain the oil from the tank and start until the engine stops.

Storage: When the mower has not been used for more than 15 days, drain the oil out of the tank. Then start the engine and leave it until the engine is off. so that no oil remains in the carburetor.

I think the confusion about draining the oil tank is in the translation. In Thai fuel is commonly referred to by the same name oil is:
oil น้ำมัน namman
gas/petrol station ปั้มน้ำมัน pum namman
add fuel to tank เติมน้ำมัน term namman

I bought a cheap made in China Kanto water pump and the rubber fuel line was crumbling within a few weeks. After use I would shut the fuel off below the plastic fuel tank but leave fuel in the line and carb . Also the rubber mounts where the pump attached to the frame that came into contact with fuel slightly leaking from the carb started to crumble. Just figured the cheapest rubber available was used at the factory. Since replacing the fuel line I now shut the fuel valve off while the pump is still running at let it burn off the remaining fuel in the line and carb. The fuel in the plastic fuel tank I just leave alone for maybe a month or two at a time and the pump runs just fine next time. Turned out to be a pretty good pump for 3000 baht.

8 hours ago, 2long said:

I know.

so do they mean gearbox oil, or if the 2-stroke mixes itself, the 2-stroke oil... or if pre-mix, the fuel? I'm guessing the pre-mixed fuel from the carb... but to drain it all from the tank seems stupid.

4 hours ago, KeeTua said:

I think the confusion about draining the oil tank is in the translation. In Thai fuel is commonly referred to by the same name oil is:
oil น้ำมัน namman
gas/petrol station ปั้มน้ำมัน pum namman
add fuel to tank เติมน้ำมัน term namman

I bought a cheap made in China Kanto water pump and the rubber fuel line was crumbling within a few weeks. After use I would shut the fuel off below the plastic fuel tank but leave fuel in the line and carb . Also the rubber mounts where the pump attached to the frame that came into contact with fuel slightly leaking from the carb started to crumble. Just figured the cheapest rubber available was used at the factory. Since replacing the fuel line I now shut the fuel valve off while the pump is still running at let it burn off the remaining fuel in the line and carb. The fuel in the plastic fuel tank I just leave alone for maybe a month or two at a time and the pump runs just fine next time. Turned out to be a pretty good pump for 3000 baht.

8 hours ago, 2long said:

I know.

The problem with fuel lines rotting out is the gashol fuel ,it is the alcohol that's rot's  the rubber ,my old  Chines strimmer ,had that problem ,fuel lines and a seal in the carb , rotted out and it did not like hot starting ,if you can find some proper 91 octain  petrol that will help .

When I have done with my strimmer I lean it over  ,fuel sits in the fuel tank away from the carb ,same as draining the tank .just a bit in the carb .

• Like 1