Retirement to Marriage Visa

I opened this forum looking for the above and saw a similar recent one currently under discussion.

I have been married for almost 20 years and the retirement visa has been the best for me for many years. Previously the 400,000 in the bank worked but a wicked and totally unhelpful IO would give my wife a hard time and we needed to make several trips to the bank and neighbours to satisfy her (made up) requirements.

In a few months, due to an unforeseen overseas commitment, I may just fall short of the required 65k/month necessary for the retirement visa. My question is, would I be able to change as per the heading? My current extension is up for renewal next March and if necessary, I would probably need to change around October.

For many reasons, I have always been against using agencies. If others like or need to, then that's OK for them.

If the local office will change for me, I have the following questions.

Will the issue a new marriage visa costing 1,900 thb?

Is the requirement for this visa a 40k/month transfer?

Would I need to complete all the required paperwork (40 sheets as I recall)?

Will we need to visit the local registrar to confirm we are still legally married?

And what else would I/we need to do?

I should be able to find all this out from the Immigration website but I recently learned that even some of the downloadable forms are out of date. Plus I find things a little harder these days in my dotage.

Thanks in advance for any useful advice..

So taking out all the not required info.

Your currently on an extension (not a visa) based on retirement using the income method. 

Due to fact that income will drop below 65k during this extension you wish to change to extension based on marriage.

Do you have money in Thai bank in your name. Thereby being able to use combo method to continue with existing extension RT.

You would not be able to change the reason for for your extension of stay (it is not a visa) based upon retirement to marriage until your current extension is close to expiring. The new extension will start from the day you apply.

Why do you want to do it early? There is would be no problem with your income dropping below 65k baht until you applied for the new extension and a change to marriage would on require proof of at least 40k baht for the past year.

The fee for the extension is 1900 baht. There is no fee for changing from one type of extension to another one.

How do you prove your income?

My list of general requirements for the extension is here. Marriage Extension Requirements 2.pdf

You will need a up to date print out of your Kor Ror 2 marriage registry to prove you are still married that can requested at any Amphoe. You wife can request it by showing here ID card.

The only form you need is the a TM7 application form. At the immigration office they will give you couple of forms to compete that are easy to complete.

Download, complete and print 2 sided this up to date TM7 form. Fillable TM7 form.pdf

Yes, the cost of the Marriage extension is the same, 1900 baht.

Yes, bank statement showing foreign transfers of 40,000 baht/month.

See the attached, though for Phuket, there should be no difference to your own Immigration office:   http://piv-phuket.com/long-stay-extensions/marriage-m/

Yes, a KorRor 2 document which confirms that you are still married is required.   I would get this from your local Amphur just before you apply for your extension.

This is one of the many things I don't understand.

Switch it around to make my point.

If I obtain an extension retirement using money in the bank method and not meet the financial rules eg ,maintain 800k three months post etc then I drop below 400k or whatever. How can I turn up for my next extension and change to based on marriage. I didn't meet the conditions of my previous extension.

4 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

If I obtain an extension retirement using money in the bank method and not meet the financial rules eg ,maintain 800k three months post etc then I drop below 400k or whatever. How can I turn up for my next extension and change to based on marriage. I didn't meet the conditions of my previous extension.

If using the 800k baht in the bank method it has different requirements than the income option. After the 3 months at 800k baht and then you must maintain 400k baht in the bank for the rest of the year. Your extension technically becomes invalid as soon as it drops below 400k baht. Changing the reason to for it to marriage could be denied if you did not maintain the 400k baht.

The income option does not require you to maintain the 65k baht all year since you would not qualify for the extension when you applied for a new one. If you change to a extension based upon marriage you only have to show the minimum income of 40k baht for the previous year.