Vipassana Meditation

WaiWai

Wat Rampoeng is by far the best option for Vippassana. Although they prefer you do the full 28 day course. You can come to other arrangements but you will lose priority to people doing the 28.

English is spoken, the regime is tough (3.30 am rise and shine), but the rewards are worth it.

VIPASSANA MEDITATION

Northern Insight Meditation Center

WAT RAMPOENG (TAPOTARAM)

Tambol Suthep, Ampur Muang

Chiang Mai 50200

THAILAND

Tel: +66- (0) 53 278 620

Fax: +66-53-810 197

Email: [email protected]

Good luck / Maha Sahdu on your search.

Edited by Austhaied

I saved a link which was posted somewhere on this forum (think by Austhaied ?) a few days ago :

http://www.dhammathai.org/e/meditation/page28.php

I know little about, but am becoming interested in, Vipassana meditation & wondering if there are teaching centres in CM people would recommend ? Would need to be English-speaking :o.

Two Chiang Mai centres that offer shorter, easier, more introductory vipassana retreats (compared with Wat Ram Poeng & Wat Phra That Chom Thong) are the International Buddhism Centre at Wat Phra That Doi Suthep (can start anytime) and the meditation retreat centre associated with Wat Suandok (every Tues-Wed).

The schedule at the Wat Suandok centre:

Every Tuesday & Wednesday

1st Day : Tueday

02.15 p.m. Assemble at Wat Suan Dok

02.30 p.m. Introduction to Buddhism.

-What do Buddhists worship ?

-What do Buddhists believe ?

-How do Buddhists practice ?

04.00 p.m. Departure for the Training Center.

05.00 p.m. Free time / tea and snacks.

06.00 p.m. Evening chanting and meditation.

09.00 p.m. Bedtime.

2nd Day : Wednesday

05.00 a.m. Morning gong/Get up.

05.30 a.m. Morning chanting,

Yoga Meditation,

Insight Meditation.

07.00 a.m. Breakfast.

08.00 a.m. Discussion on the general ideas

of Buddhism

10.00 a.m. Meditation

11.30 a.m. Offer food to monks and lunch

12.30 a.m. Take pictures/ Clean up rooms

13.30 p.m. Return to Wat Suan Dok.

At Wat Phra That Doi Suthep the meditation courses run for 10 and 21 days, but shorter stays can be arranged.

You might also try asking in the Buddhism subforum.

It's a ways outside the city but I can recommend Wat Thaton up in, you guessed it, Thaton, about 3 hours north of Chiang Mai (http://www.wat-thaton.org/index-english.html). They teach a technique called dynamic vipassana in the tradition of Luang Por Thien & offer 10 day retreats every month or you can arrange your own, at a minimum of 7 days. I've done a Goenka retreat before & got a lot out of it but the experience at Wat Thaton suited me better - it was less structured but no less intense. Good luck.

Sorry, I just checked the Wat Thaton website for the 1st time in a while & it now says the meditation center is closed. Anicca. I don't know if this is temporary or permanent but you could still contact the wat if you're interested & find out.

Edited by cm das

I saved a link which was posted somewhere on this forum (think by Austhaied ?) a few days ago :

http://www.dhammathai.org/e/meditation/page28.php

I know little about, but am becoming interested in, Vipassana meditation & wondering if there are teaching centres in CM people would recommend ? Would need to be English-speaking :o.

Two Chiang Mai centres that offer shorter, easier, more introductory vipassana retreats (compared with Wat Ram Poeng & Wat Phra That Chom Thong) are the International Buddhism Centre at Wat Phra That Doi Suthep (can start anytime) and the meditation retreat centre associated with Wat Suandok (every Tues-Wed).

The schedule at the Wat Suandok centre:

Every Tuesday & Wednesday

1st Day : Tueday

02.15 p.m. Assemble at Wat Suan Dok

02.30 p.m. Introduction to Buddhism.

-What do Buddhists worship ?

-What do Buddhists believe ?

-How do Buddhists practice ?

04.00 p.m. Departure for the Training Center.

05.00 p.m. Free time / tea and snacks.

06.00 p.m. Evening chanting and meditation.

09.00 p.m. Bedtime.

2nd Day : Wednesday

05.00 a.m. Morning gong/Get up.

05.30 a.m. Morning chanting,

Yoga Meditation,

Insight Meditation.

07.00 a.m. Breakfast.

08.00 a.m. Discussion on the general ideas

of Buddhism

10.00 a.m. Meditation

11.30 a.m. Offer food to monks and lunch

12.30 a.m. Take pictures/ Clean up rooms

13.30 p.m. Return to Wat Suan Dok.

At Wat Phra That Doi Suthep the meditation courses run for 10 and 21 days, but shorter stays can be arranged.

You might also try asking in the Buddhism subforum.

I am interested in Vipassana - it sounds like a good idea to me. Are there Vipassana courses out there that take it easy on the Buddhism section? Or that have no introduction or discussion of Buddhism?

tx.

There is a Vipassana Centre in Phitsanulok teaching vipassana according to the method of S.N. Goenka. The course does not teach Buddhism and does not require you to be a Buddhist to join.

It does however require you to cease practicing other rituals and praying during the course of the retreat.

I've done a Goenka course and I can recommend it to others. The quality of the teaching and the structure of the program combine to help students make remarkable progress in a short time. I'm planning to do another course soon.

Goenka does not require meditation students to be Buddhists, but his teachings include extensive descriptions of the life and teachings of the Buddha. This is natural, since Goenka traces his technique back to the Buddha's original work and philosophy of meditation, recorded in the Satipattana Suttanta. There is no suggestion that anyone who is not a Buddhist should become one, or that one must accept either the folk or the institutional practices of Buddhism. In fact, Goenka makes it clear that successful Vipassana has nothing to do with one's conventional religious beliefs, and that is probably true.

Vipassana and other aspects of early Buddhism are, in my opinion, some of mankind's most precious cultural legacies. I encourage anyone who might be interested to take the plunge and explore authentic Vipassana meditation. While you may not stick with it, you won't regret the time spent.

• 1 year later...
Hey, ex-Goenka students, what about group meditations in Chiang Mai?

The owner/director of Wachirawit Matayom School, Khun Pensook, often organises 1-day group meditations for old Goenka students at her school. It's mainly Thai participants though but instruction is in Thai and English. I don't have contact details but you could drop in to the school and ask.