Alcohol in restaurants in Khon Kaen

Boomer6969

I'm in one of the nearby provinces. Yesterday we drove past the local farang bar, and witnessed several of them out in front happily drinking beers. Then we went to a chain restaurant in the mall, and they confirmed they're now allowed to serve alcohol.

Hmm. Is this changwat going rogue? No word of this anywhere else. But I know what I'll be doing this weekend. ????

• Like 2

On 6/25/2021 at 11:25 AM, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

I'm in one of the nearby provinces. Yesterday we drove past the local farang bar, and witnessed several of them out in front happily drinking beers. Then we went to a chain restaurant in the mall, and they confirmed they're now allowed to serve alcohol.

Hmm. Is this changwat going rogue? No word of this anywhere else. But I know what I'll be doing this weekend. ????

Here in Pattaya , next Sandcastle, officially still nothing whatsoever.....????????

23 hours ago, geisha said:

Apparently, Phuket restaurants serve alcohol. Bars are closed.

I believe Phuket restaurants are allowed to serve alcohol, as of last week, but in the rest of Thailand, regardless of what zone the province is in, alcohol cannot be served in any establishments........officially.

7 hours ago, mikosan said:

I believe Phuket restaurants are allowed to serve alcohol, as of last week, but in the rest of Thailand, regardless of what zone the province is in, alcohol cannot be served in any establishments........officially.

Chang Mai ????

On 6/26/2021 at 3:29 PM, jomtienisgood said:

Here in Pattaya , next Sandcastle, officially still nothing whatsoever.....????????

except arrests of those found partying over the weekend.  Yep Pattaya seems destined for more greatness.

7 hours ago, mikosan said:

I live in Phuket you are right Restaurants are allowed to serve alcohol only when you order food the bars are still closed but it seems a few of them have installed kitchens 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I was at a Vietnamese restaurant   by the university in KKC last Saturday for Lunch. When I asked if I could have a beer with my lunch, they said I could not.  Weekend before had lunch at another restaurant in Kalasin  no problem with having a beer with lunch. I think that officially it is not allowed, but it all depends how many people are at the restaurant and the restaurant's relationship with who ever enforces the ban, 

1 minute ago, ThailandRyan said:

Hence no longer called a Bar but a Establishment of fine culinary cuisine as the girls cook chicken, squid and Shrimp on the barbeque out front.

And in my area, some very pretty girls at that ????

15 hours ago, ChipButty said:

I live in Phuket you are right Restaurants are allowed to serve alcohol only when you order food the bars are still closed but it seems a few of them have installed kitchens 

Well that is no surprise, but legally they will also need a restaurant licence and to get that, I believe you have to have your kitchen inspected and certified as acceptable . However, I am sure a brown envelope of two in the right hands will sort out that minor issue.

13 hours ago, norfolkandchance said:

The town I live in is 50 km east of Korat. When in the Amber zone our local Hotel offered alcoholic beverages thought out.

When we where upgraded to Yellow last week all other establishments followed suit.

I am sure they did.  The point being made though is that what they are doing is illegal.  Personally I don't care, I think the rules are ridiculous, but we were discussing legality and the current regulations forbid this.

9 hours ago, mikosan said:

I am sure they did.  The point being made though is that what they are doing is illegal.  Personally I don't care, I think the rules are ridiculous, but we were discussing legality and the current regulations forbid this.

Last week restaurants in the town where given official permission to serve alcohol. Would this be legal or Illegal in yellow zone.

However 2 cases of Covid where confirmed in the local area yesterday. Official permission was rescinded for 2 weeks.

3 hours ago, norfolkandchance said:

Last week restaurants in the town where given official permission to serve alcohol. Would this be legal or Illegal in yellow zone.

However 2 cases of Covid where confirmed in the local area yesterday. Official permission was rescinded for 2 weeks.

As I understand it, the rules are set by the CCSA and cannot be overruled by local government.  At least not downgraded, they can be upgraded locally.

So in this case, given that the CCSA has ordered all bars and pubs shut and restaurants are not allowed to sell alcohol, Thailand wide, regardless of the colour of the provinve, except in Phuket, then locally they would not be able to over rule the CCSA by allowing the service of alcohol.  If service was allowed though, they could upgrade that ruling and ban it.

Please note: As I said at the beginning, this is my understanding of how the situation works here.  But trying to actually work out how the situation works here, is fraught with difficulty.  

Alcohol served in restaurants WAS allowed.

But just got it through the grapevine: alcohol in restaurants again forbidden in all of Khon Kaen. Of course pubs,  bars etc. remain closed.

Pure panic takes over.

In our area ALL markets closed.

Even the district office closed (or emergency only?).

On 6/29/2021 at 12:48 PM, mikosan said:

Did I say I cared?  I don't, people need to make a living.  I was simply explaining the current rules.

Nope, you didn't say you care and I think we are all aware of the rules, thank you.????