Found a village tucked away off 107 just north of the moat pretty interesting ...

BB1955

I walked through there almost 17 years ago as lived in that area. Many places like that here and there. They home steaded it and after 10 years it became theirs. Free. Most are over disgusting water ways or drainage nobody cares about. Godzilla snooker used to be a thriving up scale snooker hall. Guess maybe Covid and other more popular snooker places did it in. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

Godzilla snooker used to be a thriving up scale snooker hall.

Full of tattooed Thai gang members, and slim young serving girls with teeter-totter heels and skin tight hot pants.

Used to play snooker there with some pals.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Full of tattooed Thai gang members, and slim young serving girls with teeter-totter heels and skin tight hot pants.

Now why doesnt that surprise me in the slightest.????

I enjoy off the beaten path walks.    Did you notice the flower baskets all along that one stretch.   I'm afraid my nose is to sensitive to live in places like that.  

7 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Ah, so you know the place. well  For some reason this doesn't surprise me coming from you, but it is a sort of out of the way back street place.. I only went in there a few times over the years.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/24/2021 at 10:18 PM, holy cow cm said:

I walked through there almost 17 years ago as lived in that area. Many places like that here and there. They home steaded it and after 10 years it became theirs. Free. Most are over disgusting water ways or drainage nobody cares about. Godzilla snooker used to be a thriving up scale snooker hall. Guess maybe Covid and other more popular snooker places did it in. 

Thats what I thought , same in Bangkok along the railroad tracks . I found one other Snooker hall shut down as well behind Chiang Mai land 

On 6/25/2021 at 1:17 PM, DaddyWarbucks said:

The reality of what Detroit has become far surpasses anything you'd see in Thailand.

16246012785544013357597536329303.jpg

I saw a video the other day of Philly much the same worse than anything I ve seen here in Thailand 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BB1955 said:

I saw a video the other day of Philly much the same worse than anything I ve seen here in Thailand 

Thailand doesn't offer much in the way of degradation and social decay.

To see the real thing take a ride on Amtrak between New York and Washington, DC.

The residential areas of Newark, Trenton, Camden, Philadelphia, and Baltimore have become urban jungles dominated by a criminal underclass. As dangerous to the people who live there as it is to those who are foolhardy enough to venture in.

Motoring on the interstates you see the glitzy facade of office towers and whatnot, a Potemkin Village on a massive scale.

The train ride takes you through neighborhoods that in my youth were decent places to live, even the low-income working class areas.

Now all that has changed and they've descended into a state of what seems like perpetual lawlessness.

• Like 2

On 6/28/2021 at 8:39 PM, DaddyWarbucks said:

Thailand doesn't offer much in the way of degradation and social decay.

To see the real thing take a ride on Amtrak between New York and Washington, DC.

The residential areas of Newark, Trenton, Camden, Philadelphia, and Baltimore have become urban jungles dominated by a criminal underclass. As dangerous to the people who live there as it is to those who are foolhardy enough to venture in.

Motoring on the interstates you see the glitzy facade of office towers and whatnot, a Potemkin Village on a massive scale.

The train ride takes you through neighborhoods that in my youth were decent places to live, even the low-income working class areas.

Now all that has changed and they've descended into a state of what seems like perpetual lawlessness.

I ve done that trip a few times prior to 2010 , its like you ve landed in another planet . One particular trip to NYC I ended up going through the Holland tunnel three times trying to get to Sleepy Hollow NY. 

• Like 1

On 6/24/2021 at 10:18 PM, holy cow cm said:

. They home steaded it and after 10 years it became theirs. Free. 

What does that actually mean ?

Do they receive the land deeds and then can sell the land and property ?

One of my friends seems to be in a similar situation 

46 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

What does that actually mean ?

Do they receive the land deeds and then can sell the land and property ?

One of my friends seems to be in a similar situation 

Don't think they can actually own when over public water drainage or canals, but there is a history long long of the officials turning their heads and forgetting about  them as is undesirable land and if no obstruction probably left to the squatters to live their lives. So more like a squatters rights in certain slither sections. BKK canals have this a s huge problem.

If you are referring to your friend and someone actually peacefully homesteading or working a piece of land without the owner knowing or without the owner setting up a contract to be renewed, then it is 10 years and no one can do anything about them getting the title to the property. 

5 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

Don't think they can actually own when over public water drainage or canals, but there is a history long long of the officials turning their heads and forgetting about  them as is undesirable land and if no obstruction probably left to the squatters to live their lives. So more like a squatters rights in certain slither sections. BKK canals have this a s huge problem.

If you are referring to your friend and someone actually peacefully homesteading or working a piece of land without the owner knowing or without the owner setting up a contract to be renewed, then it is 10 years and no one can do anything about them getting the title to the property. 

My friend has a house/shack in a back street alley , the alley is full of similar houses/shacks inhabited by locals who have all lived there for years .

Its a run down shanty back alley , but the land is in a prime location  , in the shadow of five stars hotels at either end of the street .

She wants to leave the property and go back to live in her village and build a house on her land , but she doesn't have to money to do so .

I would like to buy the house and land in the city and put it in my sons name, as an investment for his future and that would give her the funds to build her house in the village .

On 6/25/2021 at 1:17 PM, DaddyWarbucks said:

The reality of what Detroit has become far surpasses anything you'd see in Thailand.

16246012785544013357597536329303.jpg

I had a German friend who traveled around the States. He was truly shocked at the poverty and dereliction he saw there. Way out of Thailands league. A completely different world than that shown in movies.

I don't think this is "undesirable land."  If the city had the wherewithal and foresight to clear this and similar areas of the ramshackle housing and install adequate sewage culverts and well as do a bit of landscaping, these areas would be prime for development. 

Actually, greenways designed for pedestrians and bicycles only would be superb additions to the city's lack of parks.  The sewage ditches originate outside of town, traverse the city, and terminate at the river.  Further development of the river's banks would also be a welcomed transformation to living in Chiang Mai.

17 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

My friend has a house/shack in a back street alley , the alley is full of similar houses/shacks inhabited by locals who have all lived there for years .

Its a run down shanty back alley , but the land is in a prime location  , in the shadow of five stars hotels at either end of the street .

She wants to leave the property and go back to live in her village and build a house on her land , but she doesn't have to money to do so .

I would like to buy the house and land in the city and put it in my sons name, as an investment for his future and that would give her the funds to build her house in the village .

I think you can buy about anything here , but will you have legal ownership of the land is hard to say . Id be interested to know where it is ...