Who Has No Problems With Their Dsl

nikster

If you have had no problems with your internet connection, could you please tell me:

- Provider

- Package

- Cost

Thanks!

I am looking to switch from my TOT GoldCyber which has become very unreliable in the last few months, see thread here: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=121962

TOT business packages are priced 2,500 for 1Mbit, 4,500 for 2Mbit, 6000? for 3Mbit and 7000+ for 4Mbit. The customer service rep I spoke to apparently did not know anything else about these so I don't know if switching would help at all. I guess I could just give it a try for a month...

The reality is that all the providers have issues because they are beholden in more ways than one to CAT. International bandwidth is so expensive for any provider that they have to share it over so many clients that contention issues are inevitable.

Even if you pay for a commercial service {only real difference is less 'shares'} the realistic QoS is very poor.

Regards

/edit typo //

Edited by A_Traveller

Can someone tell me whats the different between the tt&t package;

Maxnet INDY 1024/512=POP 3 Mail : 1 account 50 MB/account

1070 Baht.

Maxnet Premier 512/256=POP 3 Mail:5 account 50 MB/account

1990 Baht.

Is there a seriouse different with Speed/ Stability of the line. ?

I have the "INDY" package but would like to upgrade .

Is it worth it?

i have Maxnet Premier 1024/512 - 3,638 baht a month.

every day in the evening they switch me off and i have to call customer service (not available anymore in english). all the time i have to listen to some bullsh*t² and never get an explanation. sometimes the service is back within a short time but most of the time no connection till early in the morning.

:o

I have True ADSL in Ladprao area and although the speed is not ver good at all and certainly no Hi Speed as advertised it has been on for months with no major problems.

Having said about the speed, my mate has it in On Nut area and his is faster.

Can someone tell me whats the different between the tt&t package;

Maxnet INDY 1024/512=POP 3 Mail : 1 account 50 MB/account

1070 Baht.

Maxnet Premier 512/256=POP 3 Mail:5 account 50 MB/account

1990 Baht.

Is there a seriouse different with Speed/ Stability of the line. ?

I have the "INDY" package but would like to upgrade .

Is it worth it?

On an old (two years ago?) brochure when the plans had different names, one big difference was the "contention ratio," i.e. how many accounts shared the same ADSL bandwidth:

Maxnet@Home (which became Maxnet INDY), the contention ratio was 40.

Maxnet@Life was 10, Maxnet@SME was 5, and Maxnet@Biz was 2 ... I'm not sure which one of those became "Maxnet Premier," but a 512/256 Maxnet@Life was B2,350/mo, so that might be the equivalent?

Earlier, on a different thread, I had posted my TT&T Maxnet@Home tracert results for thaivisa.com, and another TT&T subscriber with a higher level plan also posted his, and his ping times were significantly shorter than mine.

That said, in the evenings I can usually get a 105kbps download speed reported by my browser (Opera) on my 1024/512 Maxnet@Home account. During the day I "often" can, but it's hit or miss. I'm a TT&T subscriber in Jomtien.

I think the best solution is to check with neighbors to see what service they have and if they are satisfied. No sense polling all of Thailand as the results will not be applicable to your specific locale.

So I asked TOT customer service (1100) if and how the business DSL is any better. I asked them if I could maybe try it for a month. The 1500 baht extra wouldn't be a big loss (2,500 vs 1,000). They said to call a number for my local DSL center and they would let me try out business DSL for 5 days free of charge! Which is excellent - exactly what I need.

Of course this being Thailand there were a few bumps and misunderstandings along the way. I made this request yesterday evening and was told to call the local number at 8:00 am in the morning. Soon thereafter, my connection went down completely.

I was freaking out and called them again, thinking this was unrelated, and they didn't have a clue and told me they'd send somebody tomorrow after giving me the usual spiel about turning on/off the router, checking the cables, even disconnecting the splitter (this was a new one).

Turns out they had switched me to business yesterday evening, without telling me that I need to change my router config password to (phonenumber)@totgoldbiz... thanks guys, another 12 hours without internet! But OK it's working now :o

I think the best solution is to check with neighbors to see what service they have and if they are satisfied. No sense polling all of Thailand as the results will not be applicable to your specific locale.

I don't think the problems the different providers have are localized. There may be the occasional bad phone line but the original issue I had - still have - was most likely something happening at the IIG level and would affect all customers . Perhaps a crappy censoring software or something like that.

So I do think it makes sense...

Tx for the replies so far - I will check out if I can get a TT&T connection in my area.

I am testing TOT business 1024 right now, and it seems to be exactly the same as my old connection, e.g. no solution for the many temporary blips in the connection.

N.

Even if you could find something that worked well now, there's no guarantee it'll be that way next month or even tomorrow. Truth be told, it's practically guaranteed that it will not be the same within a few months. It was that way with all the True accounts I've had in the past decade, and the same with all other ISP's I've dealt with. Generally the trend is towards worse performance, with some reprieves (scarce few).

Try and find out where the nearest ADSL control cabinet is , thats the place they hook up all the local lines to ADSL.

I have been having trouble with my TOT ADSL for months , but this was caused by my phoneline that was a LONG line that came from the next village because I wanted a phone line as soon as I moved in the house instead of waiting for more then a YEAR for TOT to come to my village.

Then after many complaints I spotted the ADSL crew hooking up fiberglass to a local connection cabinet about 600 meters from my home.

Spoke to the TOT guys and the advised me to cancel the old line and get a new nr that was connected to this cabinet.

Worked wonders 4 me , now I get close to the 1Mb they promise for local access !

You want to keep you phone lines to the ADSL cabinet as short as posible , just look the spaghetti wiring along the road >>> bound for bad contacts and speed dropping every time they add new lines to it :o

So yes not solve all internet problems but did solve the worst problems for me . just got a other new line.

Edited by brianinbangkok

I don't think the problems the different providers have are localized. There may be the occasional bad phone line but the original issue I had - still have - was most likely something happening at the IIG level and would affect all customers . Perhaps a crappy censoring software or something like that.

So I do think it makes sense...

They are definitely localized in my experience. Not even within Chiang Mai do you get the same results on the same package from the same ISP, and between different provinces the differences are even greater. Lomatopo's advice is sound.

I might add to Livinlos's sound advice re the load balancer, to not only have two ISP's, but also to have two different phoneline providers!

e.g. one line TOT with goldcyber and another line from TT&T and Maxnet as ISP!

However I must say I'm perfectly happy with my Maxnet premier account. Stable speeds, and most times when I have problems/reduced speed it is caused by physical problems with my phone line.

I am however on the distance limit for reliable dsl service, actually it's a small miracle it works at all with over 8 km distance to the phone exchange!

I might add to Livinlos's sound advice re the load balancer, to not only have two ISP's, but also to have two different phoneline providers!

However I must say I'm perfectly happy with my Maxnet premier account. Stable speeds, and most times when I have problems/reduced speed it is caused by physical problems with my phone line.

I am however on the distance limit for reliable dsl service, actually it's a small miracle it works at all with over 8 km distance to the phone exchange!

The load balancer is a good idea... I hadn't thought of that.

WOW - 8km is incredible, the local TOT will refuse to lay cable more than 4km. It shouldn't work, you know? :o

Actually in the West they will do a test on any line under 8km to see if you can get connection and at what speed!

I am at the lowest speed (256/128) and with bad weather the connection does get Iffy. I'm just lucky that there is one big main cable (they are pretty good shielded) coming pretty close to my property where it terminates in a junction box.

I actually have maybe only 200 meters of "spaghetti"wires :o

The load balancer is a good idea... I hadn't thought of that.

WOW - 8km is incredible, the local TOT will refuse to lay cable more than 4km. It shouldn't work, you know? :o