Samui, Phangan and Koh Tao are ready! From 15th they'll join sealed route "sandbox" scheme

webfact

Samui.jpg

File photo//Credit: Love and Road

An upbeat governor of Surat Thani province in the south of Thailand said that three of his islands would be ready to take part in the "sandbox" experiment.

This involves foreign tourists starting in Phuket for 14 days and then moving onto Koh Samui, Koh Phangan and Koh Tao (all in Surat Thani) after a flight on Bangkok Airways from Phuket.

It's called the Samui Sealed Route Model and begins on 15th July.

Wichawut Jinto said that infections in his province were down to nine and 109,956 people had received a first dose of vaccine and 40,857 had been jabbed twice. 

In many areas of the province there is no infection at all and the governor has been urging everyone to keep with the mask wearing and not to drop their guard, reported TNN

The Phuket Sandbox begins next Thursday with five direct flights expected according to previous reports. 

Book your sandbox hotel in Phuket here

logo.thumb.jpg.58700f12f9218149b3e2f82126b72e4d.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-06-26
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, EVENKEEL said:

Folks are free to travel wherever they want after 2 weeks in Phuket or am I missing something. So how can Samui even comment on sandbox.

Visitors can also come to Samui from Singapore and from Bangkok in the early stages.

Both airports being the end point of long haul flights.

There will be separate processing of visitors transiting to Samui.

(Of course, people could possibly catch Covid during the first part of the journey? ????)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tropicalevo said:

Visitors can also come to Samui from Singapore and from Bangkok in the early stages.

Both airports being the end point of long haul flights.

There will be separate processing of visitors transiting to Samui.

(Of course, people could possibly catch Covid during the first part of the journey? ????)

Is that official now that you now can transit domestic in BKK?

3 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

Folks are free to travel wherever they want after 2 weeks in Phuket or am I missing something. So how can Samui even comment on sandbox.

You can transit between international flights, for example in Singapore, and from such a transit hub fly directly to Samui from July 15th. If the airlines restart international flight to Samui in same level, as they did last time the country began a reopening when 7-days quarantine were permitted, both Hong Kong and Kuala Lompur are also possible transit hubs...????

52 minutes ago, khunPer said:

It is as official as anything else that is announced khunPer.

But until it is announced in the Royal Gazette (Monday?) it is all just a plan.

1 hour ago, khunPer said:

'Yutthasak said this was great news.

He said that tourists are delaying their travel plans until the last moment and many are waiting for the announcement of Phuket Sandbox regulations in the Government Gazette.

He expects this to be Monday next. '

This above from another thread in the TV main Thailand Today/Phuket News.

• Confused 1

24 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

sounds good   (sarcasm)... in the mean time  the reality is a little less inviting

Thailand reports 4,161 new COVID-19 cases, 51 more deaths

But none of these cases are on the three sealed islands in this thread...????

-and don't forget to compare the right numbers, i.e. converted to cases per million, so divide with 70 before you compare with other countries...????

And what are the rules for domestic travellers living in the country to these islands ? Bars will be open and alcohol is served or cemetary atmosphere ? Travellers want information and clear details.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

This involves foreign tourists starting in Phuket for 14 days and then moving onto Koh Samui, Koh Phangan and Koh Tao (all in Surat Thani) after a flight on Bangkok Airways from Phuket.

Don’t go to Koh Tao, if the Covid doesn’t kill you the local mafia will.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Venom said:

So the locals will also be sealed in or how does this work exactly? 

I don't think anyone knows, what about all those un-vaccinated northern girls trying to head south to their old haunts, will they be allowed in?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, khunPer said:

But none of these cases are on the three sealed islands in this thread...????

-and don't forget to compare the right numbers, i.e. converted to cases per million, so divide with 70 before you compare with other countries...????

I don't need to compare with anything, I am just reporting the increase of infections and deaths, regardless where in Thailand, not in any other country (ies)

3 hours ago, Venom said:

So the locals will also be sealed in or how does this work exactly? 

How it works is really quite simple.

The locals are vaccinated to the point of being Immune ( because we say so ) and they are free to travel where ever they wish, at any time.

1 hour ago, Mavideol said:

I don't need to compare with anything, I am just reporting the increase of infections and deaths, regardless where in Thailand, not in any other country (ies)

This thread is specific about the islands Samui, Phangan andTao, not anywhere in Thailand...????

• Like 1

At this point letting foreigners with jabs come to Phuket or Samui sounds a lot less risky than people from BKK or any other red zone travelling here. At least airports will have a procedure that is somewhat in line with the Sandbox rules. It seems all the rules are thrown out of the window when people head over by ferry.

• Like 2