The People Are To Blame

chevykanteve

Somkiart says people have themselves to blame for Govt's poor performance

National Legislative Assembly member Somkiart Onwimol said the people, not the government, should be blamed for poor performance of the interim administration during the past seven months.

"It's not the government's fault. It's the fault of the poor structure of the society and of weak democracy," Somkiart said during the debate on the government's performance.

"The people must be blamed for lacking political conscience. Democracy needs time to develop and needs certain losses first."

The Nation

Typical Thai govnt official hi-so ######s attitude.

Blame anyone but themselves..................................

Yes, democracy takes time to develope, and if the govnt went about it the right way, it would................. no need to blame the people.

Exactly. Hence, KIA (=Know It All).

Well ... did he mean ... "The people elected Thaksin ... leading to this insane mess ..."?

Gee, on re-reading the article, what other conclusion could be made? After all, Thaksin is to blame for everything. Who else has responsibility for problems, other than he?

In a way he is correct, and I find myself in agreement with him.

Of course citizen oversight of government has to be written into the constitution which the constitution drafters pay lip service to, but I don't see any evidence of them doing anything more than that. Someone who garners the publics respect has to be brave enough to come out and say that the puyai, pee/nong culture is not conducive to democratic aims and needs to be eradicated or at least modified. Seems like the drafters want to have the control yet blame others for them having it.

Well he's actually got a very good point. Democracy needs time to develop. Sadly of course the country has just been knocked back a decade or two on the back of this military involvement.

Did "he" have friends in the local "old-boy network" prior to landing his exalted position?? And if so, were they buddies of the current, uniformed, powers-at-be?

Well he's actually got a very good point. Democracy needs time to develop. Sadly of course the country has just been knocked back a decade or two on the back of this military involvement.

Did "he" have friends in the local "old-boy network" prior to landing his exalted position?? And if so, were they buddies of the current, uniformed, powers-at-be?

Have a thing for Mr/Dr/Pol Col. T do ya?

Have a thing for Mr/Dr/Pol Col. T do ya?

Kind of a "trollish" reply, isn't it?

He talks about the governments preformance during the last 7 month, that kan hardly be a stab at Thaksin.

And how he gets to accuse the people who precicely in this 7 month have had no rights whatsoever, is a bit of a joke.

Despite proclaming they only where an interim salvation force, they have made lots of new legislation like they where a democratic elected government.

If there is shit hitting the fan, it is without doubt their own.

Kind regards :o

Despite proclaming they only where an interim salvation force, they have made lots of new legislation like they where a democratic elected government.

agreed ,

it's a criminal shame that such a golden opportunity for reform was squandered ,

Only in Thailand can someone be blaming the people for their not being rule by the people while a military dictatorship is running things!

I have wondered over the years do these people actually beleive what they say and I think they really do - the frightening thing is a lot of Thai people believe them or accept it.

Then you get the jokers saying things on the world stage abd they wonder why nobody is kow towing at their feet. The latest jojer is the health minister who has been running all over America and not getting the lickings of a dog - did he really think he would get something?

Only in Thailand can someone be blaming the people for their not being rule by the people while a military dictatorship is running things!

I have wondered over the years do these people actually beleive what they say and I think they really do - the frightening thing is a lot of Thai people believe them or accept it.

Then you get the jokers saying things on the world stage abd they wonder why nobody is kow towing at their feet. The latest jojer is the health minister who has been running all over America and not getting the lickings of a dog - did he really think he would get something?

Off topic but worth a reply ... like a good spot with the UN? Backing from The Clinton Foundation? More recognition that what he's doing is right? etc?

Off topic but worth a reply ... like a good spot with the UN? Backing from The Clinton Foundation? More recognition that what he's doing is right? etc?

You know what..those organizations will be extremely pissed if they find out down the road that they were conned by the Thai health ministry.

If the Thai leadership is stupid and inept, how have they come as far as they have? How have they developed a country that so many of us choose to live in? Is it all just dumb luck?

Through military coups once every few years :o

National Legislative Assembly member Somkiart Onwimol said the people, not the government, should be blamed for poor performance of the interim administration during the past seven months.

"It's not the government's fault. It's the fault of the poor structure of the society and of weak democracy," Somkiart said during the debate on the government's performance.

"The people must be blamed for lacking political conscience. Democracy needs time to develop and needs certain losses first."

The Nation

Of course he is right. If the people did not pay the bribes to government officials and police, then there wouldn't be corruption. :o

blaming it on the people isn't a unique Thai political view.

I'd reckon that in most countries in the world, the politcal elite think the same ways, though it those places it is much less PC to air those views publically. Give the man points for at least being honest. You know what you are working with then.....

Most, if not all of us come from countries with two political parties dominate the scene. The ones in government run the place for a couple of years (as advisors), then get kicked into opposition, where they all go off to run companies, be board members or become NGO executives (or join the EU parliament). The core of the oppisition members of parliament/congress all have safe seats that they'll keep forever. A couple of years pass, they come back again. Same faces.

The Nation

Of course he is right. If the people did not pay the bribes to government officials and police, then there wouldn't be corruption. :o

If i did not pay the bribes then i would not have electricity or many of the licenses i needed to open my factory. Do you think that I wanted to pay these bribes ? I tried to get things going without paying but come back tomorrow turned into months.

You know what..those organizations will be extremely pissed if they find out down the road that they were conned by the Thai health ministry.

:o The WHO came out in support of the MoH's decision yesterday too :D ooooooops

The Nation

If i did not pay the bribes then i would not have electricity or many of the licenses i needed to open my factory. Do you think that I wanted to pay these bribes ? I tried to get things going without paying but come back tomorrow turned into months.

Wolfman, I was being sarcastic. We have all been here long enough to know how things work, whether we like it or not.