Meds prior to chicken slaughter

I setup a small scale clean, happy chicken farm for my son and the time has come for my family to start eating our own chickens. It is not something I can do myself and my instructions to my son are clear: Don't tell me which chickens you will kill or when you will kill them - just make the meat appear in my fridge or freezer. He's fine with that.

He told me something this morning that worried me a little. He said that he has to give them some meds a few days prior to slaughtering them. The whole point of raising our own chickens was for them to be free from toxins. He's not sure what is in the meds so I'd appreciate any advice from the chicken guys amongst you.

He also said that it was to remove the worms from the chickens. I now have a picture of little worms wriggling around in the chicken meat, which is obviously not desirable either. Is this true for free range chickens fead on fish meal, soya bean meal, herbs, multi vit's, ram, EM plus bananas and banana trunks?

• Sad 1

I can not see the problem ,the worms,if any , are in the digestive tract or the intestines ,not in the meat ,as the chicken is cleaned all the worms should be removed ,normaly the liver and kidney is kept ,they should be no worms in these .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If your birds are free range then they are more likely to pick up different health problems inc. bird flu etc.     The fact that you feed certain things such as soy bean, fish meal etc. helps protect them if the food is fed from clean feeders, this also applies to water.

All medicines for livestock have different withdrawl periods.
This should be stated on the label or the vet at the shop where you brought the medicines should be able to tell you.
Withdrawl periods are generally 5 - 7 days but can be longer.
I would also advise not to eat eggs from birds that have been medicated subject to the withdrawl period.
Irrespective as to the reason for medication ( e.g. "only worms" ! ) meat or eggs should not be connsumed before withdrawl period has passed.

As an example gentian violet commonly used for different reasons for livestock or animals such as dogs and humans has been banned in many countries due to it being a carcinogenic.
Different countries will have different regulations.
There are govt. webs sites that give information or look online for the specific medication in English.
Many farms that provide live birds / meat / eggs to local market providers do not follow withdrawl periods.

9 hours ago, Speedo1968 said:

As an example gentian violet commonly used for different reasons for livestock or animals such as dogs and humans has been banned in many countries due to it being a carcinogenic

Interesting ,it has not been banned over here ,you can get it at all the livestock shops .

One use is that it is put on the sores of cattle with Foot and Mouth ,whether it does any good I do not know ,like in the UK an old cure? for FMD ,Stockholm Tar ,a wood based tar, put that on the sores,

Also,  what is known as the purple spray ,Gentian Violet ,and Oxytetracyline ,must be the OTC in the spray makes it legal ,a lot is manufactured in New Zealand, still used in the UK a lot for foot rot in sheep.

17 hours ago, kickstart said:

Interesting ,it has not been banned over here ,you can get it at all the livestock shops .

One use is that it is put on the sores of cattle with Foot and Mouth ,whether it does any good I do not know ,like in the UK an old cure? for FMD ,Stockholm Tar ,a wood based tar, put that on the sores,

Also,  what is known as the purple spray ,Gentian Violet ,and Oxytetracyline ,must be the OTC in the spray makes it legal ,a lot is manufactured in New Zealand, still used in the UK a lot for foot rot in sheep.

Used on dogs here too

Prolly Ivermectin.

Used world-wide as anti-parasitic in people  & livestock. 

Nobel Prize winning medicine.

https://www.nobelprize.org/prizes/medicine/2015/press-release

"A variety of parasites cause disease. A medically important group are the parasitic worms (helminths), which are estimated to afflict one third of the world’s population and are particularly prevalent in sub-Saharan Africa, South Asia and Central and South America. River Blindness and Lymphatic Filariasis are two diseases caused by parasitic worms. As the name implies, River Blindness (Onchocerciasis) ultimately leads to blindness, because of chronic inflammation in the cornea. Lymphatic Filariasis, afflicting more than 100 million people, causes chronic swelling and leads to life-long stigmatizing and disabling clinical symptoms, including Elephantiasis (Lymphedema) and Scrotal Hydrocele (Figure 1)."

Claimed useful vs malaria.

Proven safe even high dosages.

Saves million of lives

vs many maladies.:

Used by medicos in several 3rd world countries 

as treatment for C19.

[research this]

but hey,

be aware:

not approved for that by WHO, NIH.

Available real cheap on Lazada.