Juristic Office - do they keep a list of rentals/keys?

I know what condo building I want to move into and near enough what type of unit.

Rather than pay a months rent as commission for an agent to do very little, does the juristic office usually keep a list of rentals and keys?

A few of the times I've viewed properties with agents they just seem to go in the office and ask for them?

Are there any  benefits to using an agent?

RAZZ

Edited by RAZZELL
  • Like 1

The management office likely does not work as an agent... agents are people w/jobs and have expenses too, they serve a purpose for the owner in hopefully being able to assist in finding a tenant... and finding you a unit you might like and then taking care of the rental agreement and paper work involved... they may even know of other buildings or cheaper units of similar quality... [in a perfect world] 

That said, if you want to do the legwork and not pay an agent, some buildings have bulletin boards with sales/rentals listed... 

**** Another approach you might take is ask to speak with the head housekeeper... they usually know everyone and often how to find them and what units are not lived in and would want a tenant.. I found a unit I liked that way... and it was widely accepted that the owner 'tips' the head maid for making the connection.. 

good luck -hope you get what you want. 

• Like 2

This used to work very well and it was how i found the first place i rented in BKK many years ago. The juristic office people were very helpful had the keys to 4/5 units showed me them and when i was interested in one they gave me the number of the owner and i dealt with him directly. I gave the guy from the office a decent tip for his efforts, no doubt he also got something from the owner. Nice and simple and everybody happy. we stayed in that condo for 5 years, rent never changed.

However my impression is that things have changed somewhat and now its less easy. Many of the large/newer BKK condos are managed by companies that also have sales/rental agencies within the same business eg CBRE.  I believe standard practice now is to refer prospective renters/buyers to the inhouse agents and it seems that the juristic staff, in some condos , are discouraged from showing units themselves. However not every building will follow that procedure.

If you know the building you want to rent in its a bit of a waste of time to use an agent and , for sure, you will end up paying for it via a higher rental charge, so approaching the office staff directly is well worth a try. Be friendly get to know the office staff, security even maids,  try to get as much info as you can about rental rates within the building. If you are polite and speak some Thai they will usually be helpful, tips also help. I always used to tip the office staff or the security guy who showed me a unit, 200 baht every time, it certainly  helps with the information flow!  

When you find the unit you like try to establish direct contact with the owner and negotiate a fair rent based on what you have already learned about the building. If the owner rented through an agent he would have to pay at least the first months rent as a fee, so you start with an advantage.

I have served on the owners committee for 2 different condos in Bangkok and i can say ,from that experience, that (in general)  rental agents add very little value. Any issues with the unit eg maintenance most agents will usually just refer to the condo office and try to get them to sort it out, or failing that they will just pass the problem back to the owner. 

Edited by wordchild
  • Like 1

The Juristic/Management office certainly should not be doing the job of rental/sales agents.  That's not what I am paying mine to do.  Some management offices do keep keys for emergencies--for example to get into the condo in case of a water leak and the owner is absent. 

My Bangkok condo was keeping keys but eliminated this practice as some of the owners were expecting the office to give out and retrieve the keys to illegal short-term renters--so essentially act as check-in and out staff for this illegal activity.  Glad they stopped that practice.  

• Thanks 1

I am on the Committee in our condo and if we find any staff moonlighting as an agent they will be terminated from employment.

Likewise all owners are informed that they are not to try and ask the management team to hold keys for agents or to encourage the management personnel to try and act like an agent by giving them financial benefit. Luckily our condo is relatively small and 85% of units occupied are occupied by owners so there is very little rental market anyway.

We even have conflict about receptionists taking deliveries up to units. Personally unless their is a very specific reason for it, my view is that Co-owners should be expected to come down and collect their guests/deliveries themselves, not have the staff bring it up.

• Like 2

Haven't been into the Juristic Office yet.

But what I can say is that I have contacted about 6 agents and about half of them the advertised rooms have already be "let".

They seem to be just trying to get personal details using "bait and switch" adverts.

RAZZ

• Like 2

Do you know anyone who owns or already rents in the condo you are interested in?

I think you would likely get a more helpful response if someone who was an existing owner or tenant went to the office first and asked on your behalf.