Please recommend a 4g or 5g router (SIM card router}

csaba81

3 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:

Can't go wrong with the TP-Link MR200. I have several of these for use in Thailand and the UK. Very reliable and pulls in a 4G signal very well (even in remote areas of Buriram - on AIS). You'll need an unlimited SIM package. I use AIS 10mbps and it's fine for streaming and Line/WhatsApp/Skype calls etc.

Thanks for recommendation. Will try and find a non-Chinese brand one like D-Link or Linksys first.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, csaba81 said:

Thanks for recommendation. Will try and find a non-Chinese brand one like D-Link or Linksys first.

you are in Thailand, correct?..... good luck (you will need lots of it 555) trying to find non Chinese brand here

This morning spend 2 hours at a shop that claimed to have Linksys. it turned out to be a TP-Link, they also had Asus all from china

Edited by Mavideol

if you need really high speeds then stay away from cheap TP-Links or noname chinese brands, as most of them use "cat.4" modems that do not support carrier aggregation, so they will not yield those hundreds of megabits advertised. Look for at least  cat.6 router or better cat.9.

Huawei are good, mostly. Also note that a high quality & high speed router will not cost cheaper than $200.

3 hours ago, Mavideol said:

you are in Thailand, correct?..... good luck (you will need lots of it 555) trying to find non Chinese brand here

This morning spend 2 hours at a shop that claimed to have Linksys. it turned out to be a TP-Link, they also had Asus all from china

I second this. When I needed a good router I had to buy it on Ebay, shipped from Australia.

Edited by fdsa
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, csaba81 said:

If I get this correctly - you are wrong. TP-Links are quite good routers, much better brand than D-Link.

I don't know about Linksys though.

21 minutes ago, fdsa said:

if you need really high speeds then stay away from cheap TP-Links or noname chinese brands, as most of them use "cat.4" modems that do not support carrier aggregation, so they will not yield those hundreds of megabits advertised.

Carrier aggregation... hundreds of megabits...

And you have read that the OP asks about 4G or 5G where 100 Mbit/s would be a good rate (if you can pay a flat rate of that speed)?

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

Can't go wrong with the TP-Link MR200. I have several of these for use in Thailand and the UK. Very reliable and pulls in a 4G signal very well (even in remote areas of Buriram - on AIS). You'll need an unlimited SIM package. I use AIS 10mbps and it's fine for streaming and Line/WhatsApp/Skype calls etc.

Can recommend this.

My true internet line was giving problem (frequently cutting out the last 3 weeks) and they were not able to fix it.

So bought this TPlink MR200 with an annual unlimited 10Mbps sim. It works very well, is cheaper and don't notice any internet speed difference.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KhunBENQ said:

Carrier aggregation... hundreds of megabits...

And you have read that the OP asks about 4G or 5G where 100 Mbit/s would be a good rate (if you can pay a flat rate of that speed)?

usually people ask for "5G" when they need really fast internet, that's why I wrote that post. With category 4 modem you won't get even 100mbps despite sellers advertise speeds "up to 300 mbps" (while the absolute maximum in laboratory conditions is 150 mbps).

So if the topic author uses a common 10mbps SIM — then, of course, any cheap noname router will be more then enough.

2 hours ago, Susco said:

I wonder where the Ebay seller got it from ????

I did not mean that it is not made in China, but emphasized that it is almost impossible to buy high quality / high spec electronics in Thailand. Only cheap generic stuff is being sold here, that's why I had to order phones from USA (made in China), laptops from Singapore and Germany (made in China), router from Australia (made in China) and so on and so on.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, userabcd said:

So bought this TPlink MR200 with an annual unlimited 10Mbps sim. It works very well, is cheaper and don't notice any internet speed difference.

Thanks. How much did you pay for the annual unlimited 10Mb and which carrier supplies it?

12 hours ago, fdsa said:

I did not mean that it is not made in China,

The difference came to my mind later in the day.

Indeed there are many devices designed/engineered in the US or Europe but manufactured in Taiwan and mainland China.

Follow the path of the parent companies or the list of industrial customers and you will end up at the Foxconn industry giant so often.

1.29 million workers/employees! Gives a good idea where all the jobs have gone.

D-Link is a Taiwanese company from the start.

Linksys founded by a Taiwanese couple in the US.

Line of ownership today: Foxconn -> Belkin -> Linksys

Edited by KhunBENQ

2 hours ago, csaba81 said:

Thanks. How much did you pay for the annual unlimited 10Mb and which carrier supplies it?

It's been covered here many times. from around 1350 with DTAC, 1900 with Truemove H and perhaps around 2200 with AIS. 

Only DTAC sells direct(1600 baht), the others through distributors.