Selling House in Thailand

Hello

My wife want to sell our house in Thailand. we bought it after we married.

I sign at land office that she is the owner of the house.

Now my Question.

Need my wife a document from me to sell the house?

And if so which document she need.

In the moment we stay abroad and my wife will go back to Thailand to sell the house.

Chris

Selling any used house is no quick and easy proposition in Thailand.

Now with Covid running rampid, even less than a chance.

Economy has been in the tank for a year+ and getting worse.

Might want to wait or she may waste a trip for no reason.

Hello

Thanks for the answers. We have an offer for the House. My wife told me that maybee the Land Office require a Papier that she can sell the House, signed by me. Iam also confused because iam signed before a Papier that the House ist owned by my wife.

We only want to bei Sure, before my wife Flies  to Thailand.

Christian

4 minutes ago, couchpotato said:

Actually in all Land office, where the Thai lady is married to a foreigner, then at the time of purchase, the husband must also sign that the land is solely her property (as another poster pointed out above). But in some Land Office (Jomtien is one), the husband must also sign when the property is sold (even though, as also pointed out above, the foreigner has no rights on the Land ownership).  Yes strange, but true.

Many years ago my wife was told I must sign because she had a foreign surname (ie: changed her surname after marriage).  We are selling another property next week (at Jomtien LO), and I also must sign.

Hello

Can you Tell me which Kind of Paper you have to sign.

Christian

58 minutes ago, chris11 said:

Hello

Can you Tell me which Kind of Paper you have to sign.

Christian

It is a Land Office document, that must be signed in person.

I am sure you could probably use a 'Power of Attorney', but she would need a lawyer or Real Estate Agency that is familiar with that particular Land Office to help her in that case.

6 hours ago, couchpotato said:

Actually in all Land office, where the Thai lady is married to a foreigner, then at the time of purchase, the husband must also sign that the land is solely her property (as another poster pointed out above). But in some Land Office (Jomtien is one), the husband must also sign when the property is sold (even though, as also pointed out above, the foreigner has no rights on the Land ownership).  Yes strange, but true.

Many years ago my wife was told I must sign because she had a foreign surname (ie: changed her surname after marriage).  We are selling another property next week (at Jomtien LO), and I also must sign.

There is no land office in Jomtien, or an office with that name, the closest land office is in Pattaya.

Hello

Thanks for all the answers.

We try to find out if there is any document that we can prepare before, because we have an appointment at Thai Embassy in out country and could legalize it there if its necessary.

In the moment is the plan that my wife go alone to Thailand, because i have to work. So we want to prepare the documents in my homecountry.

Chris

6 hours ago, chris11 said:

Hello

Thanks for all the answers.

We try to find out if there is any document that we can prepare before, because we have an appointment at Thai Embassy in out country and could legalize it there if its necessary.

In the moment is the plan that my wife go alone to Thailand, because i have to work. So we want to prepare the documents in my homecountry.

Chris

You will need to sign the document and get your signature legalized by your embassy. Every office has their own ideas.

My wife owns property that I paid for - - I think the only thing I had to sign was a paper saying that I will not make a claim of ownership against the property... I doubt they would need me if a property is sold... it is 100% in her name...

But, if there are issues - there is still Fed Ex... 

On 6/30/2021 at 12:12 AM, josthomz said:

Why would you sign anything at the land office provided that foreigners can't own land in Thailand? 

Or are we talking about a condo? 

What exactly did you sign? 

If wife is married to a foreigner he has to sign a form that basically he has no interest in the property

Why would you sign anything at the land office provided that foreigners can't own land in Thailand? 

You have to sign a declaration that the cash is not yours, why who knows.

On 6/30/2021 at 12:58 AM, bwpage3 said:

Selling any used house is no quick and easy proposition in Thailand.

Now with Covid running rampid, even less than a chance.

Economy has been in the tank for a year+ and getting worse.

Might want to wait or she may waste a trip for no reason.

i read an article just a week or two ago that reckoned demand for low builds (houses) was high and that prices had gone up 8% over last two years - and this was partly to do with covid causing buyers to want to purchase a place with land and space (I guess to feel safer in this covid era). Not sure of the source or of the accuracy but kinda made sense.

Yes you have sign a paper that the money of the house was hers. You don't sign the deal will be off.

If you are legally married and the house and land was obtained after the date of marriage would it (or the value) not be seen as a joint asset regardless of which of the partners own it? I too have had to sign a Land Office declaration for property owned only by my wife but not in every case implying that some offices mandate it as a CYA. I regard as being an agreement to the sale of a joint asset.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch!

Madam has done a number of land flips/sales/purchases since 2004 when we got hitched (latest was last month). She changed her name back to her maiden name (from Thai hubby) when we came to Thailand, ID shows "Mrs".

Despite attending the land offices on multiple occasions I've never been asked to consent to a sale/purchase or sign that I have no financial interest in any transaction (I evidently look too poor to afford the multi-million Baht transactions).

Definitely TiT.

2 hours ago, LukKrueng said:

Generally speaking, married Thai people (whether married to a Thai or foreigner) needs spouse's consent to buy/ sell a property

I guess it is office specific just sold a property in May (Udon Thani) did not require anything from me. 

10 hours ago, johndudorn said:

I guess it is office specific just sold a property in May (Udon Thani) did not require anything from me. 

Dealt with 2 different offices in 2 different province (so far bought only, never sold) and in both places I was asked if I was married. I asked why they needed to know and they said if I'm married I need wife's consent to buy/ sell

15 hours ago, Crossy said:

Meanwhile, back at the ranch!

Madam has done a number of land flips/sales/purchases since 2004 when we got hitched (latest was last month). She changed her name back to her maiden name (from Thai hubby) when we came to Thailand, ID shows "Mrs".

Despite attending the land offices on multiple occasions I've never been asked to consent to a sale/purchase or sign that I have no financial interest in any transaction (I evidently look too poor to afford the multi-million Baht transactions).

Definitely TiT.

So are you saying you are not married ? The only reason they wouldn’t ask you is if she is saying she’s not married . I 100% had to sign to say my wife’s land purchase was nothing to do with me . 

7 minutes ago, chrisandsu said:

So are you saying you are not married ? The only reason they wouldn’t ask you is if she is saying she’s not married . I 100% had to sign to say my wife’s land purchase was nothing to do with me . 

We are definitely married. I suspect they are not asking because she doesn't have a foreign surname, maybe they are unfamiliar with the process, we're not exactly in a farang stronghold (or they are just too lazy), but it's two different land offices that are involved and I've been on the scene every time in case they ask. 

Madam is aware of the requirement, hence my being there, but she also has the attitude "if they don't ask they don't get", and they're not asking so they're not getting.

But as with everything here, who really knows TiT.

29 minutes ago, Crossy said:

We are definitely married. I suspect they are not asking because she doesn't have a foreign surname, maybe they are unfamiliar with the process, we're not exactly in a farang stronghold (or they are just too lazy), but it's two different land offices that are involved and I've been on the scene every time in case they ask. 

Madam is aware of the requirement, hence my being there, but she also has the attitude "if they don't ask they don't get", and they're not asking so they're not getting.

But as with everything here, who really knows TiT.

Yes I presume they know who you are so just not bothering with the extra paperwork as you said TIT my wife also doesn’t have my name and all her Thai ID is in her own name .

Edited by chrisandsu

• 2 weeks later...

you would have to confirm you agree your wife can sell the house. She needs your signature to confirm this to the authorities as the married partner of a wife selling. She will not be allowed to sell without your signature, unless she can show death or divorce papers in proof.