Non-O (Retirement) available in USA?

You can get an O-A in the USA but O Visa only here in Thailand.  Biggest difference is that the O-A requires health insurance and a police background check.  

If you come to Thailand on a 30 day tourist visa on arrival you can apply for an extension.  After the first extension of 60 days, you can apply in Thailand for the non-O visa. 

It is then an annual renewal of the 1 year extension. 

Edited by Thomas J

2 minutes ago, Thomas J said:

You can get an O-A in the USA but O Visa only here in Thailand.  Biggest difference is that the O-A requires health insurance and a police background check.  

That is outdated info. Since they started allowing entries for retirees the non-o visa has been issued at embassies and consulate that did not do them before.

2 minutes ago, Thomas J said:

If you come to Thailand on a 30 day tourist visa on arrival you can apply for an extension.  After the first extension of 60 days, you can apply in Thailand for the non-O visa. 

It is a visa exempt entry not a tourist visa on arrival. Fifteen day visas on arrival are not being issued now.

A visa exempt entry is now 45 days not 30 now.

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

It is a visa exempt entry not a tourist visa on arrival. Fifteen day visas on arrival are not being issued now.

Much thanks Ubonjoe,  It has been a few years for me.  But is the rest of the information correct.  

On 7/1/2021 at 12:43 PM, ubonjoe said:

That is outdated info. Since they started allowing entries for retirees the non-o visa has been issued at embassies and consulate that did not do them before.

Sorry to hijack this thread, there's some useful info here, and I've checked out the Thai embassy website, but I'm still super confused. I'd really appreciate some clarification...

I'm facing similar circumstances as OP - I'm leaving Thailand next week to get the COVID vaccine in USA, returning to Thailand 5 weeks later when fully vaccinated. Upon return I will be 50+ and eligible for my first 'retirement visa'.  As I've never done this before, I don't fully understand all the steps or the terms, particularly with the current COVID situation these things seem more confusing than ever.

It was my original understanding that I must get a non-O visa from the Thai embassy before flying to Thailand. Would I need to present my Thai AIA insurance policy and my K-bank account details to the embassy or is that done later once I'm in Thailand?

But now, if I understand you correctly above, I don't need to get a visa from the Thai embassy first, I can just fly to Thailand and get a visa exempt entry (or visa on arrival??), and later on I can get an extension and can later convert that into my non-O visa - all without having to leave Thailand again. Is that correct? Will I still need to present a ticket out of Thailand as well?

BTW, what's the difference between 'visa exempt entry' and 'visa on arrival'? I'm Australian, if that makes any difference.

Will very much appreciate any assistance with this. Thanks!

15 minutes ago, clokwise said:

It was my original understanding that I must get a non-O visa from the Thai embassy before flying to Thailand. Would I need to present my Thai AIA insurance policy and my K-bank account details to the embassy or is that done later once I'm in Thailand?

The 800k baht in the bank is not required to apply for a non-o visa at a embassy but you do need the 40/400k baht medical insurance at this time (covid rules) valid for 90 days. You would then need the 800k baht for 2 months to apply for the one year extension.

Requirements for the non-o visa are here on the Thai embassy website in the US. 

https://thaiembdc.org/2020/09/30/nonimmigrantoaox/

21 minutes ago, clokwise said:

But now, if I understand you correctly above, I don't need to get a visa from the Thai embassy first, I can just fly to Thailand and get a visa exempt entry (or visa on arrival??), and later on I can get an extension and can later convert that into my non-O visa - all without having to leave Thailand again. Is that correct? Will I still need to present a ticket out of Thailand as well?

You can enter visa exempt and get a 45 day permit to stay and then a 30 day extension of stay.

A visa on arrival only allows a 15 day permit to stay after applying and paying a 2000 baht fee for it and it is only allowed for those from about 20 countries but they are not being issued now.

After entering visa exempt you must show 800k baht in Thai bank transferred from abroad on the day you apply for a the 90 day non-o visa entry. You must have at least 15 days remaining on your visa exempt entry or the 30 day extension of it.

Then during the last 30 days of the 90 days you can apply for a extension of stay based upon retirement when you have a 800k baht ing the bank for 2 months.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

After entering visa exempt you must show 800k baht in Thai bank transferred from abroad on the day you apply for a the 90 day non-o visa entry. Ymonths.

Wow, it has to be "fresh" money? So the 800k baht I have in my K-bank account already won't be accepted? Haven't heard this before. Good to know. Thanks!!

14 minutes ago, clokwise said:

Wow, it has to be "fresh" money? So the 800k baht I have in my K-bank account already won't be accepted?

That is the written requirement since they assume people are applying for the first time. The reason they have the transfer from abroad in the rule is due to not needing to have it in the bank for any amount of time.

If you have had the 800k baht in the bank for a long time they will accept it.

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

That is the written requirement since they assume people are applying for the first time. The reason they have the transfer from abroad in the rule is due to not needing to have it in the bank for any amount of time.

If you have had the 800k baht in the bank for a long time they will accept it.

Well that explanation makes sense. Thanks!

• 2 months later...
On 7/2/2021 at 7:00 AM, ubonjoe said:

You can enter visa exempt and get a 45 day permit to stay and then a 30 day extension of stay.

A visa on arrival only allows a 15 day permit to stay after applying and paying a 2000 baht fee for it and it is only allowed for those from about 20 countries but they are not being issued now.

After entering visa exempt you must show 800k baht in Thai bank transferred from abroad on the day you apply for a the 90 day non-o visa entry. You must have at least 15 days remaining on your visa exempt entry or the 30 day extension of it.

Then during the last 30 days of the 90 days you can apply for a extension of stay based upon retirement when you have a 800k baht ing the bank for 2 months.

Joe, as mentioned earlier, I am in a very similar situation except that I am coming from the USA at the end of October, this month.  I plan to fly into the Phuket sandbox. I have a couple of questions about the logistics of transferring the 800k funds for the non-o retirement “extension?”and a question about which is the best way for me to enter Thailand now in order to have enough time to open a bank account, seed the 800 K and apply for the non-o retirement extension. My current plan is to either fly from the USA visa exempt or apply for a 60 day tourist visa.  Is there any advantage to getting the 60 day tourist visa or can I accomplish what I want by entering visa exempt?

Regarding the 800 K how does one transfer that from the USA?  Obviously I will need to open a bank account in Thailand. But for the logistics of the actual transfer is that something that I can do online from my USA bank to a new bank account in Thailand?  I also have an account with WISE, formerly TransferWise. Can I do it through them? I’m assuming I would need to pay the standard transfer fee?  Is there a better and less costly way to transfer funds from my USA bank to my new account in Thailand once it is opened?

And lastly I’m confused about the timing of the 800k transfer. When does that happen?  Sorry for the many questions. I’m just trying to sort all of this out.   Many thanks, Tom

45 minutes ago, trav2021 said:

My current plan is to either fly from the USA visa exempt or apply for a 60 day tourist visa.  Is there any advantage to getting the 60 day tourist visa or can I accomplish what I want by entering visa exempt?

The only "advantage" is the extra 15 days on initial entry. IMO, not worth the hassle in getting the visa. If pushed for time on the visa exempt (e.g. hassle opening bank account; can get an agent to help if need be to negate that) you can get a 30 day extension. 

48 minutes ago, trav2021 said:

But for the logistics of the actual transfer is that something that I can do online from my USA bank to a new bank account in Thailand?

Depends on your home bank; not an American but would be surprised if you couldn't nowadays.

50 minutes ago, trav2021 said:

I also have an account with WISE, formerly TransferWise. Can I do it through them? I’m assuming I would need to pay the standard transfer fee?

Yes, select the "Long term stay in Thailand" option in the reason for transfer to ensure it's marked as coming from overseas. Transfer fee is indicated prior to actually initiating the transfer.

51 minutes ago, trav2021 said:

Is there a better and less costly way to transfer funds from my USA bank to my new account in Thailand once it is opened?

Again it comes down to your bank, check the fees against Wise fees. Wise tends to better up to a certain point (when comparing also take into account exchange rate not just the fee on the face of it).

53 minutes ago, trav2021 said:

And lastly I’m confused about the timing of the 800k transfer. When does that happen?

You need the 800K in the bank the day you apply for the Non-O (which gives you 90 days).

You need it to be in the bank for two months when you apply for the extension based on retirement (then in the bank for three months, can drop to minimum of 400K for 7 months but back to 800K for 2 months prior to next extension - easier to drop it in and just forget about it if you can afford it IMO).

• Like 2

@trav2021.......you have good advice above.

1. Obtain full vaccination in USA.

2. Enter visa exempt.

3. Use agent to open bank account. Couple of reports of satisfaction with Siam Legal. Plenty of other agents available.

4. Use Wise to transfer 800k from your bank in USA to your new Thai bank. Simple. Just check with your USA bank things such as daily limits etc..

5. Apply for your non O retirement at immigration with 800k in Thai bank day you apply. You then have 90day stay

6. When money has been in bank for 2 months apply for your 12 extension. 

Happy days.

Note: be proactive with organizing your bank account. 

@trav2021 Re:

6 hours ago, Salerno said:

The only "advantage" is the extra 15 days on initial entry.

Might not be quite accurate. the extra 15 days for visa exempt was due to run out on 30 September but there hasn't been any announcement that I've seen. I was hoping it would be extended to at least November (when more "sandboxes" are being touted to be open) given there still a minimum 7 days quarantine unless going the sandbox route. Just checked the Embassy here and the note about 45 days they had in red has been removed ????

So possibly worth the hassle getting TR as timing could tight on visa exempt (you need the money in the bank with at least 15 days left on your entry). Personally I'd still go visa exempt and if I had problems opening an account in the first couple of days, throw some money at an agent to do so.