Any Chance Of Laptop, Hard Drive Inspection At Airports?

I'm guessing no. But I haven't flown in a couple years (for obvious reasons). In the past, just had to take laptop out of bag at security. Imagine the focus now is on masks and all the covid rules. But anyone fly recently? 

Maybe best to put hard drives in checked bag? But I guess in carry on no problem.

A friend returning to the USA 5 years ago had his laptop seized at Chicago customs and it was not returned for more than a year.  He had pictures taken oround Walking Street and Angeles City but nothing nude or salacious. 

My mobile was carefully searched at LAX 7 or 8 years ago.  I had pictures of ladies, no underage or nudity but I was aggressively questioned as to their ages and what proof could I show they weren't underage.  They called in a US Marshal (ironically, a woman) who took a quick look at the pictures they were so excited about and asked them what the problem was..."There's nothing questionable here?  What are you harassing this man for? You got nothing better to do?"

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, olfu said:

Move your files to USB drive.

Keep in mind that while you may "move" files to another drive, an image of those files will remain on your HD for a long time.  File data is NOT deleted, the disk space it occupies is simply made available to be overwritten.  Your data could stay intact for years.

6 minutes ago, dddave said:

A friend returning to the USA 5 years ago had his laptop seized at Chicago customs and it was not returned for more than a year.  He had pictures taken oround Walking Street and Angeles City but nothing nude or salacious. 

My mobile was carefully searched at LAX 7 or 8 years ago.  I had pictures of ladies, no underage or nudity but I was aggressively questioned as to their ages and what proof could I show they weren't underage.  They called in a US Marshal (ironically, a woman) who took a quick look at the pictures they were so excited about and asked them what the problem was..."There's nothing questionable here?  What are you harassing this man for? You got nothing better to do?"

These are the sort of instances and sort of timestamp that I recall. I know of people that just don't bother toting a laptop. There was one guy that decided to have neither phone or laptop and ended up in secondary inspection anyway as that must have been flagged as 'suspicious'.

They can seize the laptop and let you go, no questions asked, no right to say no. You'll get a receipt but they'll need your contact info. It's all very comforting.

Though the OP is not clear about it, it's obviously flying in to Thailand/Bangkok?

It would be the first time that I read/heard anyone being searched his computer in Bangkok. It needs much imagination to find a reason for that, being on a "list"?

16 hours ago, NanLaew said:

The only country that I read about really getting into random, unsolicited hard drive snooping was the USA. Not sure if Covid has made them less nosy but I doubt it has.

Canada to

1 hour ago, KhunBENQ said:

Though the OP is not clear about it, it's obviously flying in to Thailand/Bangkok?

It would be the first time that I read/heard anyone being searched his computer in Bangkok. It needs much imagination to find a reason for that, being on a "list"?

Obviously? I'm flying from Thailand to US, with 1 or 2 airports en route.

• Confused 1