Koh Madsum (Piggy Island).

Was planning a trip to Koh Madsum, aka Piggy Island.

Someone told me that all the pigs on Koh Madsum had recently died. Possibly due to a virus. Has anyone heard anything about this? 

If true, I wonder if COVID related.

A few months ago they were still there. Also if you are just going there to see the pigs, there is a similar pig at Than Sadet beach, Koh Phangan, it is roaming around the Mai Pen Rai restaurant. It was there 2 weeks ago, so probably still alive ????

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, HighPriority said:

Ever heard of swine flu ?

The exaggerated pandemic alarm about that might be the reason that today many deny Covid19 and mistrust the experts/virologists/WHO.

I have seen two videos from Koh Madsum uploaded by Thai people on June 22, 2021 with the pigs roaming.

Of course I can't garantuee that isn't old recordings.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, KhunBENQ said:

Is that specific for the islands?

Pigs apparently..........after the mosquito feeds off the pig and then goes to a human.

Very, very nasty, brain damage and often fatal........just not worth the risk not having it if there are plenty of pigs about.

• Thanks 1

On 7/3/2021 at 6:48 PM, gearbox said:

A few months ago they were still there. Also if you are just going there to see the pigs, there is a similar pig at Than Sadet beach, Koh Phangan, it is roaming around the Mai Pen Rai restaurant. It was there 2 weeks ago, so probably still alive ????

Excuse my ignorance, but have you guys never seen a pig before? Just asking.

If you are that easily excited, you can go to Koh Tan, the "island without dogs". There you can go to see, well, no dogs . . . ????

• Sad 1

On 7/4/2021 at 11:51 AM, KhunBENQ said:

The exaggerated pandemic alarm about that might be the reason that today many deny Covid19 and mistrust the experts/virologists/WHO.

I don't deny Covid 19, but I do deny the 0.15% of the population dying is significant in any way.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/4/2021 at 2:32 PM, phetphet said:

GF told me it was posted on Samui webpage yesterday.  Anyone read Thai can confirm please?

A bit late but yes - all of the pigs died of some disease or other.

(Guests went there two days ago.)

13 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

A bit late but yes - all of the pigs died of some disease or other.

(Guests went there two days ago.)

A friend told me that the owner has already ordered some new ones. So they should be up and running again soon, depending on the virus or whatever.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Anyone been recently to Koh Mad sum? I see tours advertised which exclude "entry fee" of 50 baht? I circled before the island with a kayak and it is definitely not owned by one person or company, so who collects this fee

? It is not a national park either and all Thai beaches are public, so no one can collect a fee to land on a beach.

• Confused 1

On 7/15/2021 at 6:19 AM, phetphet said:

A friend told me that the owner has already ordered some new ones. So they should be up and running again soon, depending on the virus or whatever.

There are pigs again, or at least there were two months ago (February 2022).

• Like 1

5 hours ago, khunPer said:

Is 50 baht a huge problem if it supports someone cleaning and taking care of beaches that you might decide to enjoy..?

At Koh Mad sum the eastern beaches get all the rubbish, no tourists go there and nobody cleans them.

The touristy area is calm waters, no rubbish is brought by the sea.

Seems like illegal money grab to me. If I claim to clean the public road outside my house should I put toll gates for the passing traffic?

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, khunPer said:

There are pigs again, or at least there were two months ago (February 2022).

Definitely pigs on the island. Although they are smaller than previous photos.

We organise tours there most weeks.

Everyone who has been has had a good time and had fun. Includes snorkelling and fishing if you want.

(My partner has been three times this year!)

• Like 1