Tinned Soup

raslin

In the UK I used to enjoy the occasional tin of Campbells Soup.

Just opened a tin of Campbells Cream of Chicxken Soup bought recently in BigC.

It will be the last. I've never tasted anything quite so bad.

Is this the usual quality here?

In the UK I used to enjoy the occasional tin of Campbells Soup.

Just opened a tin of Campbells Cream of Chicxken Soup bought recently in BigC.

It will be the last. I've never tasted anything quite so bad.

Is this the usual quality here?

Yes,I have to agee with you. Back in UK Cambells Cream of Chicken Soup was great,(think it was made in UK).

Here its crap and dissapointing,and the label says its made in Malaysia.

On the same theme,Knorr type stock cubes just arent as good and I cant get the Shrimp ones anywhere.I always used one when cooking fresh shrimps and prawns.

Without sounding controversial or patronising, why not make your own soup. Any thing with fillers, maltodextrin, colour, flavourings etc. has to taste bad. As for the knorr stock cubes, I find them all to be too salty with the exception of shitake ones. I use those as a basis for a lot of stuff and yes I know they are full of what I just decried, but in much smaller quantities :o .

Yeah, there's nothing like soup you've seen to yourself, a mate brought me some smoked pork hocks a few months back, and some dried peas and the results are excellent.

However...... if your in a hurry, or just can't be bothered, tinned or packet soup can be ok.

I agree with Raslin's review of Campbell's Cream of Chook, any one who can get that slop to cream up is a better chef than I.

The Chicken Noodle is a bit better though, especially if a handful of fresh veg are quickly diced small and added to it. Something that's nice just heated through, rather than cooked... tomato, green onion etc

Edited by sceadugenga

Don't be disappointed! Tinned soup is as crappy in Canada as it is in Thailand. Campbells, too (exc cream of tomato). I think it's the heavy dose of salt, msg, and whatever other preservatives they put in, as Leis noted. Sis brought over several packets of my fav once to Thailand: Lipton's chicken noodle. I took one spoonful and spit it out. SALT to the max.

Agreed all round, home-made is best; cook a big pot full and freeze in single portions, Raslin. Ooh, I gotta start another foodie thread.