Man who flew drone near Hat Yai Airport to be prosecuted in test case

webfact

9pm.jpg

Picture: Naew Na

Naew Na reported that the Klong Hoi Khong police in Songkhla had arrested a drone user.

The drone was being flown in a restricted area 9 kms from the Hat Yai International Airport.

The police said that the drone had crashed and been recovered near some houses and seized. 

This was the first arrest of a drone user in that area and would act as a test case and lesson for those operating drones in restricted places.

These are particularly around airports and army bases.

The media said that drones can interfere with communications as well as present a hazard to aircraft. 

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright ASEAN NOW 2021-07-08

- Whatever you're going through, the Samaritans are here for you

• Sad 4

5 minutes ago, mwbrown said:

The drone in the picture is a DJI Mavic Air 2.  DJI has something like 70% of the world's drone market share.  These drones have some of the most sophisticated mechanical, electrical and software engineering I've seen in my 40 years working in engineering.  I've been flying my DJI Mini 2 drone for 5 months and can give the following observations:

First, there's no way that 9 km from an airport is in a restricted area.  The app that controls my DJI drone knows every restricted area on the planet.  The Hua Hin airport has two restricted areas:

When I approach the 4 km-radius "outer" bubble around the Hua Hin airport, the app confirms that I have applied for and been approved for a digital certificate to fly inside the bubble.  The drone then can fly inside that bubble.  Without the certificate the drone will just not fly into the bubble no matter how hard the pilot tries.  The certificate only lasts for 3 days, so when I want to fly down the Hua Hin train track construction every month, I need to apply for a new certificate and make the flight within the next 72 hours.

The "inner" restricted 3D-shaped area goes exactly along the inbound and outbound runway path, extends about 100 meters from the sides of the runway, and curves up on each end to follow an aircraft's standard flight corridor.  If I were to fly into that shape, a message would pop up on the app and the drone will simply not fly into it.  This area is fully prohibited, for very good reasons.  Note that since the box curves up, I could in theory fly at say 5 meters over the water directly under the flight path.  I have never tried this, nor would I, but it is legal.

There is an army base in the south of Hua Hin that has no restricted area marked on it.  Now, it's more of a bunch of buildings and a golf course, so perhaps there are more active bases where things like live fire training occurs, and those would have an appropriate prohibited zone that the drone would not fly into.

Second, the argument about "can interfere with communications" is a standard red-herring intended to scare people, with no facts behind it.  Drone pilots must be licensed for the radio communication between the controller and the drone.  When I applied, the web site knew exactly the frequencies and signal strength of the drone based on its model and actual serial number.  The Thai broadcasting authorities are aware of radio interference issues and the manufacturers are very careful with their designs.

Finally, crashing your drone anywhere is dumb.  The pilot could be punished on that basis.  Any damages to property would be paid out under the 1 million baht insurance policy that all drone pilots must carry.

In the end, I expect the pilot to perhaps be fined for crashing the drone.  No other charges or scaremongering apply.

One of the most informative responses I have seen to a post in here yet.

• Like 2

I owns a DJI Mavic 2 Pro, and I went to the airport in Hua-hin  and asking permission to fly with this.

The lady in charge don't know what to answer and ask the manager of this airport.

He sign a paper that it was allowed to fly with my drown but not in the direct area of the airport.

Can you imagine?

• Like 1

On 7/8/2021 at 2:16 PM, mwbrown said:

The drone in the picture is a DJI Mavic Air 2.  DJI has something like 70% of the world's drone market share.  These drones have some of the most sophisticated mechanical, electrical and software engineering I've seen in my 40 years working in engineering.  I've been flying my DJI Mini 2 drone for 5 months and can give the following observations:

First, there's no way that 9 km from an airport is in a restricted area.  The app that controls my DJI drone knows every restricted area on the planet.  The Hua Hin airport has two restricted areas:

When I approach the 4 km-radius "outer" bubble around the Hua Hin airport, the app confirms that I have applied for and been approved for a digital certificate to fly inside the bubble.  The drone then can fly inside that bubble.  Without the certificate the drone will just not fly into the bubble no matter how hard the pilot tries.  The certificate only lasts for 3 days, so when I want to fly down the Hua Hin train track construction every month, I need to apply for a new certificate and make the flight within the next 72 hours.

The "inner" restricted 3D-shaped area goes exactly along the inbound and outbound runway path, extends about 100 meters from the sides of the runway, and curves up on each end to follow an aircraft's standard flight corridor.  If I were to fly into that shape, a message would pop up on the app and the drone will simply not fly into it.  This area is fully prohibited, for very good reasons.  Note that since the box curves up, I could in theory fly at say 5 meters over the water directly under the flight path.  I have never tried this, nor would I, but it is legal.

There is an army base in the south of Hua Hin that has no restricted area marked on it.  Now, it's more of a bunch of buildings and a golf course, so perhaps there are more active bases where things like live fire training occurs, and those would have an appropriate prohibited zone that the drone would not fly into.

Second, the argument about "can interfere with communications" is a standard red-herring intended to scare people, with no facts behind it.  Drone pilots must be licensed for the radio communication between the controller and the drone.  When I applied, the web site knew exactly the frequencies and signal strength of the drone based on its model and actual serial number.  The Thai broadcasting authorities are aware of radio interference issues and the manufacturers are very careful with their designs.

Finally, crashing your drone anywhere is dumb.  The pilot could be punished on that basis.  Any damages to property would be paid out under the 1 million baht insurance policy that all drone pilots must carry.

In the end, I expect the pilot to perhaps be fined for crashing the drone.  No other charges or scaremongering apply.

Are you also the person who publisch recently a nice movie from the new railtrack in HH on YT?

I comment that movie.

Edited by Peterphuket

If this drone was in the area on a flight path to any runway in Hat Yai, at 9klms  it is a restricted area, aircraft landing or

taking off do not need any drone in their flight path. In Canada if your drone is more than 250 grams you have to get a drone pilot  

certificate and register your drone. You have to fly the drone less than 122 meters or 400 feet in the air.  Generally if you are not on a flight path.

however, you can fly your drone as close as 5.6 Kms or 3 miles from an airport. and out side controlled airspace.     Fines are up to $1000 Canadian for.

1. flying without a drone pilot certificate. 2, flying an unregistered or unmarked drone. 3. Flying where your are not allowed, such as in Federal or provincial parks.

Up to $3000 for putting aircraft and people at risk. Fines are much more if you are flying for a corporation.

In Thailand you also have to be careful not to fly your drone near military bases. Just a heads up.

Crashing your drone is not a good thing to do for anyone, as most drones are at least $500 Canadian or more, if they have any 

good equipment in them.

Geezer