Bathroom Ceiling Bubbling and Peeling Paint

Soi Dun

The rental house we are living in has bubbling and flaking paint on the bathroom ceiling. I was told that there were some leaks previously in the roof but apparently that has been fixed. The bathroom doesn't appear to be adequately  venitlated either but that's not something I can do anything about. What I would like to do is to repaint the ceiling. I realise that if there are underlying ventilation/mositure/leak issues that this will not solve the problem however I do not need to fix the problem; I just need the simplest route to getting it to look decent for the next few years without it costing too much. Can anybody recommend a water repellent coating I can use or just a good moisture resistant primer? Or should I look at putting a coat of PVA then primer then paint?

Many thanks in advance for any suggestions and advice.

Edited by Soi Dun

It's amazing how many tenants don't realise that keeping the bathroom door open after finishing helps a lot towards adequate ventilation. I also had one tenant who complained that the microwave was rusty, caused by her keeping the door closed after

Your Bathroom ceiling has almost certainly seen some water from a leaking Roof.

Nothing that you do will stop the Water ingress onto the Plasterboard Ceiling.

It will just Leech through the Board and lift off any paint that you put on there.

As the House is Rental, contact the Landlord and get the roof repaired correctly. Only then will you or the Landlord be able to sort out the Ceiling correctly

38 minutes ago, Soi Dun said:

Many thanks in advance for any suggestions and advice.

It's 3,000bht to get the plasterboard ceiling replaced with (green) bathroom quality plasterboard and painted. Just had mine done after silverfish(?) ate the ceiling.

• Like 1

Just now, BritManToo said:

It's 3,000bht to get the plasterboard ceiling replaced with (green) bathroom quality plasterboard and painted. Just had mine done after silverfish(?) ate the ceiling.

So you should have learn't the lesson as you have lived here a while already as there is no excuse for the doing the job properly in the first place.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Thanks. That's cheaper than I thought and including paint too. I'll look into it more.

The leak has been fixed, yah? If not you will be waisting money re-doing the ceiling. If the sheet rock is still OK (not crumbling), you might get by with a wire brush on the places bubbled and re-paint with normal good quality latex. 

55 minutes ago, cliveshep said:

I realise you are renting but a thin 4mm Sheera board can be overlaid over your failing gypsum and screwed up to the existing metal laths with a cheap cordless screwdriver if your landlord won't do it.

Thanks, hadn't thought of shera board over the existing gypsum. Just looking for the most cost effective fix really.

3 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

It's amazing how many tenants don't realise that keeping the bathroom door open after finishing helps a lot towards adequate ventilation. I also had one tenant who complained that the microwave was rusty, caused by her keeping the door closed after

I agree, and I'm  also amazed at how many bathrooms lack a window and an adequate fan that turns on when the light switch is turned on.

9 hours ago, In Full Agreement said:

I agree, and I'm  also amazed at how many bathrooms lack a window and an adequate fan that turns on when the light switch is turned on.

You can't do much about a window but fans can help a bit but mainly placebo

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

Well my placebos, that have run-on time switches clear smells from the toilet a lot faster than if they are not used, and certainly help n the shower section as well. 

22 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Well my placebos, that have run-on time switches clear smells from the toilet a lot faster than if they are not used, and certainly help n the shower section as well. 

yes there are exceptions of course but if you think back to hotels and places you have stayed the fans wouldn't have been the best?

8 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

yes there are exceptions of course but if you think back to hotels and places you have stayed the fans wouldn't have been the best?

Certainly true, but it’s not having a fan that’s the problem, it’s having a fan that can’t move enough air.

So fitting a tiny one and thinking it’s going to do much & having it switched with the light, is the problem. 

11 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

I  know the definition of placebo but hardly see how it applies to my post.     Please note I said "adequate fan" in my reply to you.    I think that really says it all.

First build the house with a window in the toilet/bathroom and secondly have a large enough (adequate) fan in the room able to remove the air.    Naturally the fan will be connected to the light switch so that when someone enters  the toilet and turns on the light the fan is automatically turned on.

Thirdly in case the above fails, have an abundance of air freshener available.????????

10 minutes ago, In Full Agreement said:

I  know the definition of placebo but hardly see how it applies to my post.     Please note I said "adequate fan" in my reply to you.    I think that really says it all.

First build the house with a window in the toilet/bathroom and secondly have a large enough (adequate) fan in the room able to remove the air.    Naturally the fan will be connected to the light switch so that when someone enters  the toilet and turns on the light the fan is automatically turned on.

Thirdly in case the above fails, have an abundance of air freshener available.????????

I've been in plenty of bathrooms without windows, and as long as you're not squirting water all over multiple times a day they seem to dry out fine.

The OP (apparently) has water damage related to a roof leak. I doubt very much a window or fan will help that. 

On 7/10/2021 at 5:20 PM, Yellowtail said:

I've been in plenty of bathrooms without windows, and as long as you're not squirting water all over multiple times a day they seem to dry out fine.

The OP (apparently) has water damage related to a roof leak. I doubt very much a window or fan will help that. 

Absolutely, and damp plasterboard seems to be a magnet for hungry insects whereas Sheera gives them indigestion apparently!