Bringing pets from the States

Hello all,
My last post of "Moving back to Thailand" was so informative I thought I'd ask another topic.

We recently adopted one feral cat, and her 3-month-old kittens (3 of them). They were living behind our yard.  We spayed the mother, and all four are living inside our house now.  We are assuming that this is nothing new, so I hope to get lots of information.

My questions are:  
1) what is the proces to bring them to Thailand? 

2) How do we know what shots are expected, and what paper works are necessary upon entering?

3) We would appreciate any suggestion of transportations for these cats. Are there companies that we could hire to relocate them to make sure they are safe?

Thank you everyone.

• Confused 1

It would be best for the cars of you could re home them in America.

Seems a waste of money and time to being then here...and the travel and adjustment to the different climate and diseases here will be very hard and stressful on the cats.

Once you are here you can adopt more cats if you want ..as there are always lots of street cats everywhere. 

Plus your cats at home won't miss you when you are gone so long as they have someone else to feed them. 

A friend of mine did something similar to what you are planning. He bought 2 rescued cats and 3 kittens from the UK.  The cats did not adapt well at all, the trip traumatised the older ones ..and less then a week of them being here they managed to escape from the house and all but one came back.

The others probably died a slow death of starvation out in the countryside where we live.

Edited by jak2002003
  • Like 1

From the Thai embassy in Los Angeles:

https://thaiconsulatela.org/en/bringing-pets-into-thailand/

Note that required vaccinations must have been done at least 21 days before entering Thailand.  And the health certificate endorsement must be no more than 10 days before entering Thailand.

I would also mention that 8 years ago we brought 2 dogs with us from the US.  We had to pay a fee of 1,000 baht per pet at the airport.  I don't know what the cost is now.

Edited by rwill
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Back in 2014 we brought our 2 dogs from the US when we moved to Thailand.  We found a vet that was familiar with transporting pets overseas.  He managed all of the necessary paperwork and vaccines for us.

As mentioned before, we also had to pay at the airport in Bangkok.  I believe they said it was an import duty since the dogs were not born in Thailand.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

It would be best for the cars of you could re home them in America.

Seems a waste of money and time to being then here...and the travel and adjustment to the different climate and diseases here will be very hard and stressful on the cats.

Once you are here you can adopt more cats if you want ..as there are always lots of street cats everywhere. 

Plus your cats at home won't miss you when you are gone so long as they have someone else to feed them. 

A friend of mine did something similar to what you are planning. He bought 2 rescued cats and 3 kittens from the UK.  The cats did not adapt well at all, the trip traumatised the older ones ..and less then a week of them being here they managed to escape from the house and all but one came back.

The others probably died a slow death of starvation out in the countryside where we live.

A guy I knew bought his Beautiful Golden Retriever Dog from the UK to here in Thailand.

One Day, with a small tear in his Eye, he said to me" I was a selfish B@@@@@d, and should never have bought the Dog here.

She has never been really happy, and I cant give her the Fields and Countryside she Loves "

I know this was a Dog, but the same will apply for a Cat.

We have a Cat here, and she turned up under a Builders Hut during a Storm about 4 Years ago, and we adopted her.

She is now the most Beautiful Cat in the World. She is Happy , Loving and Healthy.

You could do the same kind of thing.

• Like 2

On 7/10/2021 at 5:50 AM, Suetape said:

We took our cat from Thailand to Germany to USA to Iran and then back to the USA.   She lived nearly 20 years a happy member of our family.   

What method(s) did you used to be so successful?  These cats will be indoor cats

• 1 month later...
17 hours ago, Suetape said:

Sorry for the delay.   The cats were in the cabin with us in carriers.   

Didnt realized that you can do that.  Did you have to buy your cat a ticket and what do you need to have with you as you're crossing the border with your cat?  Thank you

OP; I very strongly suggest that you don't bring any animals here.  Thailand  is not a nice place for dogs or cats.  The ones already here have to put up with a dangerous and unhealthy environment and shortened life spans, but please  do not inflict that on your western  pets.  Yes,  I know all too well that it is hard to leave them behind, but you would be doing them a massive disservice to bring them.  I've been there, not wanting to leave pets behind, but one of the biggest mistakes I made was to bring a UK cat to this place.  She hated it, had a miserable  existence and died young. There are so many animals here, cats and dogs, that need and would love a good, loving  home, that you could provide. 

• Like 1

On 7/10/2021 at 10:17 PM, BTB1977 said:

Life for a cat is very dangerous for a cat. I have a cat and I have decided to keep him indoors only. Due to the large number of stray dogs on every street. Plus the poisonous snakes common in the gardens . And to top it off are the large lizards and a boa constrictor that I have seen many times that lives just in the empty lot just 50 yards from my house. 

This is no joke. Life in a caring American home is the best thing for those cats. Please leave them there. 

Drama queen comes to mind. Bring your cats. They will be fine.

• Sad 1

Our experience was good. 

Wife brought home a stray (in America 2007) and the whole family fell in love. We named her "Lucky." She is a Maine Coon breed (long hair, definitely built for colder weather). 

When we moved here in 2012, we brought her along. Lots of leg work... shots, certificates, permits. Cost about $1000. 

But the cat made it fine, and is enjoying her life in Thailand, 14 years old. 

• Like 1

We brought a small dog to Thailand several years ago. It wasn't cheap. Between the mandatory vaccines, certificate by a vet, airline fees, etc. It was costly. Not to mention trying to get the approval certificate from the customs department. Which can only be done a few days before you leave. No fun!

We had to pay to bring it on the airline. It fit under the seat, but I know it was miserable.

Also, be careful with the corrupt customs department here. I know of several who were scammed and ended up paying big fees to get their pets out of quarantine.

If they were lifelong pets, then it'd be worth the money and hassle. There are thousands of abandoned pets now in Thailand. Something to consider.

Everyone,
Thank you for your advice and concerns. However, my original questions were as follows:
1) what is the process to bring them to Thailand? 
2) How do we know what shots are expected, and what paper works are necessary upon entering?
3) We would appreciate any suggestion of transportations for these cats. Are there companies that we could hire to relocate them to make sure they are safe?

In case I forgot to mention, I'm Thai, lived in Thailand before moving/working in the US, so I understand how dysfunctional this place can be. What I need help with is as mentioned above. If this paragraph seems rude it's unintentional.

Thank you for your help.

On 8/29/2021 at 4:29 PM, Doctor Tom said:

OP; I very strongly suggest that you don't bring any animals here.  Thailand  is not a nice place for dogs or cats. 

I strongly disagree about the situation for pet cats (our 3 also), SWMBO will not agree about dogs.

92561A7F-8323-4F5D-BD2C-A094249FE079.jpeg.dbded6f9e87bf0d41d2df4f878fd0b70.jpeg
the oldest Queen is an indoor/outdoor cat (she adopted us), the young Tom and queen are indoor cats.

For outdoor animals it isn’t so as good as some countries

On 7/10/2021 at 10:17 PM, BTB1977 said:

Life for a cat is very dangerous for a cat. I have a cat and I have decided to keep him indoors only. Due to the large number of stray dogs on every street. Plus the poisonous snakes common in the gardens .

It is often more dangerous for the local wildlife 

Thumbnail of above video.A7DCD636-2BE6-4AB2-A596-DC551E931B89.thumb.jpeg.a5cb7324ad25f370adab787f65fd0bf0.jpeg

she isn’t hungry!

Edited by sometimewoodworker