Kitchen sink tap, washer replaceable?

giddyup

The tap in the kitchen has started a steady drip. In the past I have just bought a whole new tap, around 200 baht, but am wondering if it's possible to just replace a washer? The tap is the typical swivel hooked type, but I can't see any access to washer.

there is probably not a washer as such  but a ceramic disc arrangement.. you can find these in some shops MR D.I.Y  has them sometimes  but quite difficult to find a the "hardware" shops  that only sell whole taps..surprise surprise !

2095966656_ceramicwasher_s-l1000.jpg.5f27c1a281f054f177941c8ba00dcf1f.jpg

On the top of the tap, you should see a blue /red plastic plug,

with a knife or small flat screwdriver, pry it off, under that you

will see a screw, unscrew and tap will come apart, with spanner

remove the part of tap with washer inside, in the past i have just

turned washers over,and it has  been ok, turn water off at mains

first.....

regards worgeordie

• Like 1

As said washers have not been used for decades for most taps.  Swivel hooked type (1/4 turn) would be ceramic.  Ceramic gets a scratch and is done for.  Either replace the entire tap or buy same type and change the cartridge (not worth trying to find a replacement cartridge IMHO and would likely cost the same even if you found).

• Like 2

Just now, lopburi3 said:

As said washers have not been used for decades for most taps.  Swivel hooked type (1/4 turn) would be ceramic.  Ceramic gets a scratch and is done for.  Either replace the entire tap or buy same type and change the cartridge (not worth trying to find a replacement cartridge IMHO and would likely cost the same even if you found).

In our throwaway society I figured that might be the case. I'm not trying to save money, just fixing it rather than throwing it away, but I'll probably just buy a whole new tap.

in the more recent 'Mixer' type, the entire washer/plunger assembly R&Rs as a single unit

the real (practical) problem, is trying to obtain a suitable long/skinny socket extension to reach the tap assembly from under the dual sink...

Just now, tifino said:

in the more recent 'Mixer' type, the entire washer/plunger assembly R&Rs as a single unit

the real (practical) problem, is trying to obtain a suitable long/skinny socket extension to reach the tap assembly from under the dual sink...

It's not a mixer, it's cold water only, and it's a single sink.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Then what?

Seriously? Take it apart. Remove the part that needs replacing. Take it with you to your shop of choice. If they have it, great. If they don't, you can try to find it or just replace the unit. 

Once you get it apart, you may be able to just clean and lube it, (I like Vaseline) reassemble it and it may stop leaking. 

56 minutes ago, tifino said:

Special tool is available from LAZADA, think I saw one in Mr DIY some time back, 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, johng said:

there is probably not a washer as such  but a ceramic disc arrangement.. you can find these in some shops MR D.I.Y  has them sometimes  but quite difficult to find a the "hardware" shops  that only sell whole taps..surprise surprise !

2095966656_ceramicwasher_s-l1000.jpg.5f27c1a281f054f177941c8ba00dcf1f.jpg

Re-posted the picture for clarification of the parts:

1. ensure all scale build-up has removed from all the components including the internals brass body. 

2. I have previously turned over the red /blue silicone tension piece and re-insert it (can be a bit of a push) - the problem seems to be it loses some of its "spring" resulting insufficient push onto the upper ceramic disk. I have also included a very small section O ring on top of the red /blue to a couple of taps, it helped - - - - otherwise buy a new tap. 

Edited by Artisi
  • Like 1

It has served me well to spend that 900 baht in the village on a cold water kitchen faucet that can last over 15 years. It is my experience to buy better name brand plumbing products in Thailand saves you frustration and really is less costly in the long run. Teka and VRH are the brands of mixer taps I have in Satuk. VRH is the brand of cold water only kitchen faucets I have in village houses. Global House, Thai Watsadu and better stores sell VRH.  There are "copies" of that brand sold at some stores. The paper backing is the warranty for the VRH brand. "Cheap" or "off brand" plumbing fixtures can fail at unfortunate times.  Teka is the other brand of Mixer taps and faucets I have received many years of faultless service.   https://www.buriramhome.com/buriram-home-custom-kitchens/

VRH faucets Thailand Spare Parts.jpg

9 hours ago, kamalabob2 said:

It has served me well to spend that 900 baht in the village on a cold water kitchen faucet that can last over 15 years. It is my experience to buy better name brand plumbing products in Thailand saves you frustration and really is less costly in the long run. Teka and VRH are the brands of mixer taps I have in Satuk. VRH is the brand of cold water only kitchen faucets I have in village houses. Global House, Thai Watsadu and better stores sell VRH.  There are "copies" of that brand sold at some stores. The paper backing is the warranty for the VRH brand. "Cheap" or "off brand" plumbing fixtures can fail at unfortunate times.  Teka is the other brand of Mixer taps and faucets I have received many years of faultless service.   https://www.buriramhome.com/buriram-home-custom-kitchens/

VRH faucets Thailand Spare Parts.jpg

Although agree VRH is worth the price for bidet spray do not agree price means more for ceramic taps - a speck of sand is the end and long ago lost any hope for real warranty service here (it costs more to obtain than buy new for normal priced items - and a lot less frustrating).

"Cheap" or "off brand" plumbing fixtures can fail at unfortunate times

So can expensive - but with cheap you have the immediate fix from local store and worker with little expense.  I do not use mixer taps and expect that may be an exception - but for cold water taps, as long as not the new plastic <deleted>, will go with local sale.

• Like 1

Got one of those taps dripping away for weeks, these ceramic washers don't seem to last long, and it's a quality one put in by pure water filter. Can't get it off as the washer is a strange looking flat design, probably designed to get pure in again to do it with a special tool.

On 7/10/2021 at 2:20 PM, tifino said:

23 hours ago, Artisi said:

Special tool is available from LAZADA, think I saw one in Mr DIY some time back, 

Found this on Lazada, cheap and looks like it does the job.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/faucet-ideashopaliz-i1736604663-s4990648955.html?exlaz=d_1:mm_150050845_51350205_2010350205::12:12654756915!117524295342!!!pla-294682000766!c!294682000766!4990648955!124958532&gclid=Cj0KCQjwraqHBhDsARIsAKuGZeFAuzSpgDZNrJ-Qx-lLzvABGTSwzBh1ZcX3GN2aL19hDJ2GLS3okQsaAmmkEALw_wcB

• Thanks 1

The old rubber o-rings were cheap and easy to replace.
Then they were phased out and replaced with the ceramic disc taps which we were told would never leak. However they do and the plumber usually advises buying a whole new tap as he can't source the particular disc required. Hard to see the progress.

Or have I missed something?

Edited by katana
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, katana said:

The old rubber o-rings were cheap and easy to replace.
Then they were phased out and replaced with the ceramic disc taps which we were told would never leak. However they do and the plumber usually advises buying a whole new tap as he can't source the particular disc required. Hard to see the progress.

Or have I missed something?

Have you noticed you can buy a kitchen faucet for a dollar?