how to download live TV program on PC Rate this topic

fvw53

Sorry I put this first in the wrong subdivision of this Forum

I look at live TV news from my home country on my desktop PC and sometimes I would like to download it to look again later.

My operating system is Windows 10

Via Google I read about the software Vidmate : does any Forum member have experience with this ?  Any better suggestions?

35 minutes ago, fvw53 said:

I look at live TV news from my home country on my desktop PC and sometimes I would like to download it to look again later.

If you can find it on YouTube, you can download it.

8 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Depending on your particular home country, if you got a VPN you can usually watch any TV program again on Catch Up. 

Expressvpn.com $100 a year and you can use it with no limit with many servers around the world..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ezzra said:

Expressvpn.com $100 a year and you can use it with no limit with many servers around the world..

Yes Ezzra. I tried many VPNs, paid & free, Express very few problems, only when BBC catch up with them.

However, I have never used their servers in Croatia, Guatemala or Mongolia!   LOL

11 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Depending on your particular home country, if you got a VPN you can usually watch any TV program again on Catch Up. 

Why answer a question that wasn't asked? Most catch up programs have a download facility incorporated but live TV is a different matter altogether.

As far as I am aware the OP will need some type  of screen capture software and I suspect that is what the one he refers to, Vidmate, is.

I have tried that in the past but a lot of messing about as you had to be there when the program stops. I did some audio a while back with Audacity which was quite good as it stopped recording as soon as the sound stopped. Never seen anything similar for video but not sure how it would cope with buffering which can be quite common with live streaming.

Good luck to the OP and hope if successful will post the info.

4 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Why answer a question that wasn't asked? Most catch up programs have a download facility incorporated but live TV is a different matter altogether.

As far as I am aware the OP will need some type  of screen capture software and I suspect that is what the one he refers to, Vidmate, is.

I have tried that in the past but a lot of messing about as you had to be there when the program stops. I did some audio a while back with Audacity which was quite good as it stopped recording as soon as the sound stopped. Never seen anything similar for video but not sure how it would cope with buffering which can be quite common with live streaming.

Good luck to the OP and hope if successful will post the info.

I was not answering an unasked question, simply giving the OP an alternative.

However I wonder why he wants to download and watch News stories later as that News has possibly/probably changed.

10 hours ago, KannikaP said:

However I wonder why he wants to download and watch News stories later as that News has possibly/probably changed.

Indeed - I have a weird obsession of never missing the BBC news at 10 .. even if I watch it a week later, but I do usually catch it a couple of hours after broadcast.

Another alternative is setting up the RSS downloader on qbittorrent and downloading the news automatically (if it appears). Let someone else cap them, because it’s a bit involved as @sandyf points out. If you are there to press start and stop, you might aswell watch it there and then.  

• Like 1

23 hours ago, KannikaP said:

You are free to believe what you want, but unlike you I would think that in view of the question that was asked, the OP would have been perfectly aware of VPNs and catchup facilities.

12 hours ago, recom273 said:

Indeed - I have a weird obsession of never missing the BBC news at 10 .. even if I watch it a week later, but I do usually catch it a couple of hours after broadcast.

Another alternative is setting up the RSS downloader on qbittorrent and downloading the news automatically (if it appears). Let someone else cap them, because it’s a bit involved as @sandyf points out. If you are there to press start and stop, you might as well watch it there and then.  

I always watch live streaming of the BBC news channel early evening when having a beer on the verandah. Sometimes I see a clip that could be worth saving which on the news channel not so much a problem as they continually repeat things. At that time of a day just too much of an effort.

35 minutes ago, sandyf said:

You are free to believe what you want, but unlike you I would think that in view of the question that was asked, the OP would have been perfectly aware of VPNs and catchup facilities.

He never mentioned VPN, that's why I suggested it, to try to help him.

13 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Like many on here you just jumped to a conclusion rather than stick to the point in question.

No Mr Sandy, the OP asked for any better suggestions and I made one.

And like many on here, you seem to be arguing just for the sake of it.

Edited by KannikaP
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, sandyf said:

I always watch live streaming of the BBC news channel early evening when having a beer on the verandah. Sometimes I see a clip that could be worth saving which on the news channel not so much a problem as they continually repeat things. At that time of a day just too much of an effort.

Your answer is precisely what I want to learn about :  what you see is based on a URL of the BBC.....Now how to save at any moment what is being broadcast from this URL (transform it into a mp4 file?) and which software to use?   I want to download a particular news program from my home country - save it as mp4 - and send it to a friend in another country.

You could try the Chrome plugin 'Screencastify' that will record what's playing in your browser, or what you're doing on your screen, to a file on your Google Drive.

33 minutes ago, fvw53 said:

Your answer is precisely what I want to learn about :  what you see is based on a URL of the BBC.....Now how to save at any moment what is being broadcast from this URL (transform it into a mp4 file?) and which software to use?   I want to download a particular news program from my home country - save it as mp4 - and send it to a friend in another country.

Just send him the url.

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

In a message or email.

yes of course ...but in the unpleasant country where I want to send this news program in mp4 format via www.wetransfer.com,  my friend gets a warning that the URL or website is not allowed.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, fvw53 said:

As I said previously one way is with screen capture software and I think Vidmate would fall into that category. I had a quick look at the website and was a bit surprised to see most of the software I tried years ago is listed by them as alternatives. I wouldn't recommend any of them because it has been some time so would suggest you just try the Vidmate. One I didn't know about was VLC, although I use that regularly and was aware it could be used for conversion, I didn't know it could be used to capture, will have a look at that when I get a chance.

Basically speaking you need to install the software and set it up, most have the option of screen or external camera. You will also need to set up the audio source if you have more than one. I use a TV as a monitor so I would have to switch back to internal speakers.

It is then a question of starting the recording at the appropriate point, and then again at the end. You may then need to convert the capture file to the format you want. eg MP4. I think I had to use separate software but it sounds like Vidmate has that incorporated.

I sometimes use VSDC video editor and I have seen something that may be of use on their website but it may be a bit complicated as is the video editor. You can see details here, but just noticed it says "soon".

https://www.videosoftdev.com/free-video-capture    

One would think that the obvious solution would be a PVR but I did have a look at that some time ago when I first started using Kodi but it would appear that there is no such animal for streaming services unless there has been some recent changes. Good luck.

• Like 1

I understand what you are requesting.

Not familiar w/ Vidmate.

This is the workflow,

1 - capture

2 - convert/transcode

3 - edit (if required, to remove commercials)

#1+2 may be combined, done "on-the-fly".

Using a DVR has been suggested and is likely your best option.

You need the time of the show 'start/end'.

Software could be 'BandiCut' and 'BandiCam' from https://www.bandicam.com/

Note: "Free" version is 'shareware' and will watermark the video.

Typical resolutions are 360p, 720p, 1080p.

That is least to best quality and smallest to largest filesize.

You will have issues sending the video to your friend as even the 360p quality can easily be 80+ MB, for a 30 minute show, far too large for a email as often size is capped at 15 MB.

Hence, as suggested, send your friend the URL of the show (and what time it starts)

As for yourself, I suggest a DVR.

Best of luck

- howto

35 minutes ago, fvw53 said:

yes of course ...but in the unpleasant country where I want to send this news program in mp4 format via www.wetransfer.com,  my friend gets a warning that the URL or website is not allowed.

If you just want some general news then an option would be Kodi. If I remember right the news channels on Kodi are not streamed but recorded clips and some of the addons have a download facility.

That would also be a bit of a learning curve if you are not particularly interested in Kodi generally.

I am fairly familiar with your problem, my niece was at uni for 6 years in China.

6 hours ago, Stocky said:

You could try the Chrome plugin 'Screencastify' that will record what's playing in your browser, or what you're doing on your screen, to a file on your Google Drive.

I haven't used this plugin.  If it works as advertised, the OP can then simply share the file with his friend by creating a link to the file using Google Drive.  Save the link and then send it via Line, FB messenger, Apple Messages or whatever email provider you use.

17 hours ago, howto said:

I understand what you are requesting.

Not familiar w/ Vidmate.

This is the workflow,

1 - capture

2 - convert/transcode

3 - edit (if required, to remove commercials)

#1+2 may be combined, done "on-the-fly".

Using a DVR has been suggested and is likely your best option.

You need the time of the show 'start/end'.

Software could be 'BandiCut' and 'BandiCam' from https://www.bandicam.com/

Note: "Free" version is 'shareware' and will watermark the video.

Typical resolutions are 360p, 720p, 1080p.

That is least to best quality and smallest to largest filesize.

You will have issues sending the video to your friend as even the 360p quality can easily be 80+ MB, for a 30 minute show, far too large for a email as often size is capped at 15 MB.

Hence, as suggested, send your friend the URL of the show (and what time it starts)

As for yourself, I suggest a DVR.

Best of luck

- howto

Thank you / for transfer to another friend I can use www.transfer.com which is free for files up to 2 Gb

Not the cheapest but an easy and comfortable way would be to subscribe a service like EuroTV.

It*s around 700THB/month and you get the option to download any TV-program they offer up to 14 days back in FHD quality with one click.

Check on the providers web page if your prefered TV stations are listed.

On 7/12/2021 at 12:30 PM, Stocky said:

It worked / thank you

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 7/10/2021 at 8:05 PM, fvw53 said:

My operating system is Windows 10

Via Google I read about the software Vidmate : does any Forum member have experience with this ?  Any better suggestions?

A bit late seeing this thread but Win10 already has a perfectly good built in record function. Just press the Windows G key combo to get the game mode on screen and record. Mp4 file of recording goes into your user account video folder.

• Like 2