Bangkok curfew: Police ask for cooperation, warn of jail and heavy fines for transgressions

webfact

1pm1.jpg

Picture: Channel 7

Channel 7 reported on the curfew that has been introduced from last night in Bangkok and surrounding areas. 

It came into force at midnight and for the next two weeks will be in place every night from 9pm to 4 am. 

Spokesman and deputy at the Met police Pol Maj-Gen Piya Tawichai called for cooperation from the public.

But he said that those who intentionally break the law and go out without good reason will face a two year prison term and or 40,000 baht fine. 

There are six exceptions including medical personnel, people transporting goods, public transport and rescue service personnel, people who work in public utilities and night shift workers.

He asked for all those to have their documentation and letters ready for inspection at checkpoints. 

There are 88 checkpoints in the Bangkok and Greater Bangkok area suggested reports in other media.

The Maj-Gen said that his men would come down especially hard on street racers who might break the curfew. 

The police have powers under the emergency decree and infectious disease legislation after the CCSA announcement earlier calling for a curfew to stem the rise in cases of Covid-19. 

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright ASEAN NOW 2021-07-12

- Whatever you're going through, the Samaritans are here for you

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

The Maj-Gen said that his men would come down especially hard on street racers who might break the curfew

Lol...   but but but officer, I had to try out the new piston rings?

Obviously this mean you cannot go through a checkpoint during these hours unless you have the necessary paperwork.......but does it also mean you are not even allowed to be out on the streets during these hours?.......I am assuming the latter....

Is the 14 day hotel quarantine still happening in Bangkok ?    Is Don Muang airport still operating domestic flights and fly into D/M to transfer  ? Are you able to enter /leave Bangkok by car and travel to other provinces ?  Is a Bangkok lockdown imminent ?

4 minutes ago, superal said:

Is the 14 day hotel quarantine still happening in Bangkok ?    Is Don Muang airport still operating domestic flights and fly into D/M to transfer  ? Are you able to enter /leave Bangkok by car and travel to other provinces ?  Is a Bangkok lockdown imminent ?

Lets start with, Air Asia has shut down as well as Nok Air, unsure about the others.  14 day ASQ is still in affect for those flying into Thailand/Bangkok from international destinations regardless of being vaccinated.  PCR tests are required still as well.  Leaving and entering Bangkok may be tricky as checkpoints at 88 locations with the military and police have been set up.  A curfew is in Place in Bangkok from 9pm to 4am.  Malls are essentially closed, as well as most locations. Parks are open still from 5am to 8pm.  Markets and 7-11's are open until 9 pm.  Basically their is a semi type of lockdown here in BKK and many have been told to work from home and avoid unnecessary travel.

• Thanks 1

From 4am to 9pm - Covid hides.
From 9pm to 4am - Covid comes out and stalks the unwary.

The more I see **** like this the more I'm convinced that those running this freak show are utter fools. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Excel said:

Actually in truth there are a lot more including HISO's, those connected to the government, mia nois of government ministers, Members of the 8 wealthiest families and anybody else prepared to pay the going rate of a bribe and of course "others"

Don't think for a second that the BKK traffic stops.
All of the above are out and about with a free pass from the RTP.  If you are a VIP or connected to the regime, none of these rules apply.  Guaranteed.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Lets start with, Air Asia has shut down as well as Nok Air, unsure about the others.  14 day ASQ is still in affect for those flying into Thailand/Bangkok from international destinations regardless of being vaccinated.  PCR tests are required still as well.  Leaving and entering Bangkok may be tricky as checkpoints at 88 locations with the military and police have been set up.  A curfew is in Place in Bangkok from 9pm to 4am.  Malls are essentially closed, as well as most locations. Parks are open still from 5am to 8pm.  Markets and 7-11's are open until 9 pm.  Basically their is a semi type of lockdown here in BKK and many have been told to work from home and avoid unnecessary travel.

Yeh thanks for that Ryan , you seem to have your finger on the pulse , any idea about the Phuket sandbox cos I was about to finalize my C.O.E. ( already bought the covid insurance ) and have a re-entry retirement non o extension expiring September .

18 hours ago, leba said:

it is not officially called CURFEW. Nowhere ! so how could they charge people ?

You would be charged with contravention of Article 2 of the Requirements issued under Section 9 of the Royal Decree, Government Administration in Emergency Situations 2005 (No. 27). Article 2 orders that there is a prohibition of leaving your residence unless authorised by a competent official or unless you are a person exempted under Article 4 of the Decree (very, very few non-Thai citizens would be exempt).

Article 2 states that whoever violates the Article is guilty and must be punished according to the royal Government administration schedule In an Emergency Situation 2005.

Now, you can try arguing with the Court that the Decree is wrong, and that it doesn't use the word "curfew", however laws in Thailand are written in Thai, and the best translation I can offer is, "prohibition of leaving your residence".

That is how you would be charged.

I have attached the Decree for everyone's convenience.

Royal Decree Government Administration in Emergency Situations 2005 (No. 27).pdf

• Like 1

22 hours ago, superal said:

Yeh thanks for that Ryan , you seem to have your finger on the pulse , any idea about the Phuket sandbox cos I was about to finalize my C.O.E. ( already bought the covid insurance ) and have a re-entry retirement non o extension expiring September .

Flights are available to Phuket.  Just be safe and have a plan B in case your in the vicinity of someone who tests positive.  Your fun in the sun might end up being in a 14 day quarantine hotel. No difference really from just flying into BKK and not doing the Sandbox. Then your free to move around as you can, but then the new semi lockdown has things all jacked up.  Stay safe.  I am sure Bangkok Air is still flying or how else will folks get to Samui starting on the 15th.  

On 7/12/2021 at 7:38 PM, superal said:

Nok Air is still operating. I booked a CM-BKK RT for next week

• Thanks 2