Driving license renewal - online video training / test also available for non-Thais

SooKee

I agree with your comments on the video, and yes the first question was asked again at the end of the video. I screenshot the pass certificate at the end of the video.

Last week my wife called the Department (Land Transport), as my licence was about to expire this week. She was told I had to go to book an appointment to renew in person (also at Bangjak) and I could drive on the expired license until 30 September - I don't know why that date.

I'm going through the process at the moment. Naively I expected that either the system would have remained unchanged, or, if it had changed, then it would be improved. But TIT. We have constant changes in immigration and other bureacratic procedures and they are never an improvement over the previous systems. It is change for change's sake, masquerading as improvement.

Case in point. When you try to book an appointment in English, you arrive at a page with a button saying press for English after several pages of Thai. You naively push the button....but nothing happens, nothing at all. After an hour of button pushing you give up and ask a Thai friend to book an appointment for you and to find the real video with English so you can take the test.

Next you go to immigration for a COR. You find the system has changed. Instead of going to a special counter and walking out with the COR in 15 minutes, now you get mixed in with all and sundry who are renewing extensions of stay etc. Then you find that you drive 100 miles to the immigration HQ, you give in the paperwork with the obligatory 500 copies and signatures, take it back to the counter, where the lady tells you it now takes 3 days to review the paperwork for a COR. I asked her why could she not look in my file at the million or so pieces of copy and see that I have been living at the same address for over 10 years? 'New procedure, new procedure' she replied 'drive the 100 miles again!' (She didn't actually say that last bit). I just wondered what problem the new procedure was supposed to fix.

Well I watched the video at home , about 2 hours long  at the end of it was a page that I took a copy off with a pass number on and the date . I then went to the land Transport Office , with copies of the following , Passport, Visa Stamp , Copy of House Book ,and Doctors Note , Walked in told to go inside see Lady , then told to go and sit down ( after 20 minutes ) went back to lady to see what was going on and then told i need copy of Pink ID Card , went outside got copy , saw lady outside office , this time given a card number , went back inside saw the other lady again , told to take Traffic light test and another test , passed this then after having my picture taken left with a New 5 year Driving licence . Total time taken about 1 Hour, should have all been done in about 20 minutes . No booking of  an appointment .

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

I agree with your comments on the video, and yes the first question was asked again at the end of the video. I screenshot the pass certificate at the end of the video.

Last week my wife called the Department (Land Transport), as my licence was about to expire this week. She was told I had to go to book an appointment to renew in person (also at Bangjak) and I could drive on the expired license until 30 September - I don't know why that date.

I got to Bank Chak around 8:15am.  Not many people there and no queue for the info desk.  Wrote my details in the appointment book and filled in a reminder ticket which also serves as your queue ticket when you go back.  Appointment date may be a month or two but she flipped through the book and found me a cancellation for next month.  30 September is merely the latest grace period date that DLT has announced up until which you can used expired documents, a covid extension as such, that includes driving licences and medical certificates, the latter of which will otherwise have expired within 30 days.  

If you go to Mo Chit DLT I believe you can still renew without making a booking and, as you have done the online training / test it should be easier and quicker as you're now having to wait to do that.  However, it's busy there and you will be waiting amongst Thai nationals also waiting to renew so depends how many got there before you on the day.  Get their really early is the advice I've been given.  The other problem is, Mo Chit only opened today (16 July) following being closed for 2 weeks after a covid case was discovered and they have now reduced their daily  queue limit to 20.  Knowing my luck I'd arrive at 07:30 and be number 21!  Already having a booking at Bang Chak I'm not inclined to go to Mo Chit, my sole concern being that the covid situation will get worse and the DLTs will suspend service AGAIN!

Edited by SooKee

Just left the 1 hour video going better than the last one i watched .

Booked an apointment in my wifes name hoping to use the booking.

Went to get Cor from immigration but told need to wait 15 days as boss is in meeting?

Cost 500 baht !

Long meeting!

Anyway need a doctors certificate last time a 12 year old kid was my doctor 100 baht outide the test centre .

Last mth renewed my 5 yr licence at Banglamung. No video No test just the normal reaction depth perception and colour tests. Used a driving school to obtain medical and residency certs and hold my place at nos 5 in queue. This is after being put off time and time again by DLT quoting Covid amnesty which now applies till 30 Sept!