Sending luggage by post to Europe - covid restrictions?

Matt199

Hi there,

Does anyone can suggest a cheap alternative to sending items by Post back to Europe?

Thai post office told me they don't ship items bigger than 40 X 40 X 40 due to Covid... It's bit of an issue for me and my sport equipment which is 160 x 30 x 30.

Not sure what to do and where to check next

Thanks in advance

1 hour ago, stretch5163 said:

One of your other options would be to freight it via a shipping or Air Freight company.

Have a look on google for your local area for shippers.

Hope it helps

That is indeed the best option OP.  The post office is a  none starter I'm afraid. 

Checked with one shipping agent but the cost of shipping sport equipment seems to exceed its' cost... 29k for FedEx and 26k for UPS

International shipping by Thai Post quotes 8-8.5k for 20kg and dimension fit me, but local Thai Post office told me they don't do this now... unless they just didn't want to deal with me. They said "covid" was reason which sounds strange to me. Big bag there's covid risk but smaller bag no covid?

Typically, flying with Emirates I believe I was paying 100-150 USD per additional checked bag few years ago but now it costs 15k THB (or more than my 1-way flight) to check in another bag. Qatar also makes it very expensive to check in additional bag. I don't understand this at all. Flights won't even be half full.

It might be cheaper to leave the equipment behind and buy again lol

2 minutes ago, Matt199 said:

It might be cheaper to leave the equipment behind and buy again lol

Almost inevitably that is always true, unless the goods have sentimental, or high value it is often not worth it.  It sounds to me like you were quoted air freight rates, as opposed to sea freight, but maybe prices have gone up during covid.  Try these people: I have used them twice before and they seemed to be the cheapest and most reliable around. 

https://www.sevenseasworldwide.com/en-th?gclid=Cj0KCQjw0K-HBhDDARIsAFJ6UGjUGIsnN9Nr1DhPfmTzhh01GsLUwXCAVIXcQDACiMkBVIOYi-rYXvoaAtVUEALw_wcB

Thanks; will check

As I mentioned, I had no issue checking in 2-3 bags at a time in the past and not being sour about the price. Something did change (covid?)

One piece of positive news is KLM. They seem to allow checking in additional bags for ~3k THB of 23kg each or alternatively a sport equipment bag. Probably I'd take 3-4 bags with me this way but I'll reconfirm all with them.