vaccination

gamini

14 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

I'm guessing Dominic Raab and Boris are tying the Embassies' hands!

Well of course they are. What I'm wondering is whether the French, Canadians or others have made the same arrangements for their citizens in other countries around the world; I would guess so, as there's no particular reason to treat Thailand in isolation, particularly as neighbouring countries such as Indonesia and Malaysia are having far higher rates of infection than here.

So it's unrealistic to expect the Embassy here to make any vaccination arrangements off their own bat, it's up to those in Whitehall. But there must have been logistic arrangements to vaccinate staff at British Embassies around the world, which could be scaled up. It's a matter of instructing the manufacturers to deliver x quantity of doses to the right locations, and making agreements with the same hospitals that they used for themselves to administer the jabs. They could do it if they wanted to.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, jayboy said:

Perhaps there is a limited understanding that there is a major crisis so see useful link below.Let's give the new Ambassador a chance to salvage the situation and end the Embassy's public relations nightmare.

https://thaiislandtimes.substack.com/p/thailand-tightens-containment-measures

No misunderstanding, so don't try that to mitigate the complete ineptitude of the British estblishment in Thailand and in the UK.   They now have the opportunity to do something constructive and positive with regards to the Covid pandemic.   Time will tell!  

3 hours ago, OJAS said:

For what it may now be worth I have also sent an enquiry of my own regarding the car parking facilities which might exist at the hospital. I doubt whether travelling to the Khlong Toei or Queen Sirikit National Convention Centre stations on the MRT (which I gather is the Bangkok equivalent of the Northern Line) would be practicable in the case of those of us living in the sticks.

This is what the hospital have now told me on the car parking front:-

Regarding your inquiry, you can park your car at The ParQ (next to the hospital) for 3 hours with free of charge.
You can then walk through the connection between the ParQ and MedPark Hospital and you will see Gate No. 4 of Hospital building.
Please contact Gate No.4 to have vaccine injection.

EDIT: I see that @Eff1n2ret has already provided this information!

Edited by OJAS

3 hours ago, thonglorjimmy said:

You can add the American and New Zealand Embassies to that list, though I suspect the allocations have already been snapped, those offerred via the American Embassy certainly have been.

And no doubt any woefully inadequate (in all probability) vaccine donation by the Thai government to the British Embassy will, likewise, be snapped up in nanoseconds.

2 hours ago, jayboy said:

Perhaps there is a limited understanding that there is a major crisis so see useful link below.Let's give the new Ambassador a chance to salvage the situation and end the Embassy's public relations nightmare.

https://thaiislandtimes.substack.com/p/thailand-tightens-containment-measures

Lest we need any reminder of this, your link is IMHO a damning indictment of the Thai government's blatantly bungling incompetence and ineptitude in the handling of the COVID pandemic thus far. As far as they appear to be concerned the only ways in which the virus can be tamed in the short term at least is through imposing (or re-imposing as has recently happened in Rayong Province, for instance) pointless bans of alcohol sales and mandatory subscription to rip-off 100k USD insurance policies!

22 hours ago, Tony M said:

I have sent an enquiry to the hospital.  If they respond, I will let you know.

20 hours ago, Tony M said:

Further to my earlier post, the hospital has replied :

This vaccine is allocated from the Thai Government, therefore there is no option to choose the brand of the vaccine. Thank you for your understanding.

I guess that means it may not be AZ.  I will go to the appointment, but if it is Sinovac, I will not have it.

EDIT :  I asked for more information from the hospital. They say :

as you mention you have received an appointment, once you arrived at the vaccine center as mention in the appointment time and date, you will be informed by the officer about the brand of vaccine before vaccination. thank you.

On 7/15/2021 at 9:29 PM, richard_smith237 said:

I don’t know where you are located...

You can book the vaccine at MedPark hospitals 

https://www.medparkhospital.com/en/page/covid19-vaccine-expats

20 hours ago, bubblegum said:

Been calling different tel. numbers for this place but nobody ever answers the phone. A hospital not answering the phones???????

I'm also registered at MedPark hospital for August 7, the 1:30pm timeslot. I did phone the hospital shortly after registering and after a very long wait a Thai man answered, he spoke very good English and told me they didn't yet know which vaccine it would be, it will depend on what the Thai gov supplies them with. Like others here I'll be happy to accept AZ but consider sinovac a total waste of time. Perhaps you guys who have appointments on August 6 or earlier will report back here and let us know what they're dishing out. I'll have to drive from Korat to BKK to get the vax, so if it's sinovac it'll be a waste of time for me. Anyway AZ will be OK, so fingers crossed, there does seem to be a fair bit of AZ getting around at the moment, so I think it will be that. 

Based on this retweet from Richard Barrow of the new British Ambo comments on this vaccine offer to Canada / Australia / NZ / USA embassies, seems that HE / Brit Embassy had no knowledge of the offers.

Not sure if MG is in country or not. Possibly the offer was advised to the Embassies sometime Friday pm, so not a good time to expect anyone to actually be around at the BE for an instant response, if indeed received. If not received, then shows where the Brits stand in the current pecking order.!!

What a shambles.

https://twitter.com/RichardBarrow/status/1416271843271471107

Edited by dabhand

10 hours ago, Eff1n2ret said:

I sent the same enquiry, as there's no way I'm getting on any public transport in Bangkok. They replied as follows:-

Regarding your inquiry, you can drive and park your car at The ParQ for 3 hours with free of charge. After that you can walk from The ParQ to our hospital and you will see the Gate No. 4 which you will need to contact at this gate for vaccination.

Note: The ParQ is located next to our hospital. You can see the map here: https://goo.gl/maps/ut1EeDraKdSNVD4W6

Below is a Google Street View link showing the hospital, which could be useful for those who aren't familiar with that part of Bangkok (as I most certainly am not):

https://www.google.com/maps/@13.7213813,100.5565481,3a,60y,90h,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sZKJ_kgkGXE6eOlBIcR-czQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Access to the car park at ParQ is presumably down the 2nd turn-off to the left just past the advertising gantry sticking out into the road. Maximum zooming-in down this turn-off would appear to reveal at least 2 parking signs. 

Edited by OJAS

On 7/17/2021 at 10:51 AM, Havenstreet1940 said:

No misunderstanding, so don't try that to mitigate the complete ineptitude of the British estblishment in Thailand and in the UK.   They now have the opportunity to do something constructive and positive with regards to the Covid pandemic.   Time will tell!  

The continuing 'deafening silence' from British Embassy Bangkok would seem to to prove my point.   But I do understand the Ambassadors delemna, why should a 'career' civil servant prejudice his future upward path, by -'annoying' his masters with such trivia as peoples lives - which most probably has already been worked out by the Oxbridge 'oldboys' network in Whitehall, and who run the UK, in order to placate the concerns and fears of those whose taxes partly fund his salary. 

'Anyone for tennis old chap!'

Edited by Havenstreet1940
typo

An offer of vaccine in Bangkok is if no use whatsoever to the many UK subjects who live in other provinces. Travel is now severely restricted, and if you did make it, would have to quarantine on returning to your home province. We are at the mercy of the local authorities. However, have heard of a few getting vaccinated.