Lightning strike: One farmer dead another injured in Lopburi - 2021 death toll reported as 171

webfact

5pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

Pattana Nikhom police in Lopburi province in central Thailand were called after two women were struck by lightning in a cassava field. 

The incident happened in Chong Sarika sub-district as rain began to lash the area.

Prathumthip, 39, from Saraburi had decided to call it a day due to the rain after arriving with her husband and relatives to plant cassava, reported Daily News.

She called Paphawarin, 40, to come and pick them up. As both women walked in the rain there was a lightning bolt.

Rescue workers found them both barely alive. Prathumthip died in hospital where Paphawarin is under the care of doctors in a serious condition.

Online stats from the National Lightning Safety Institute ranks Thailand second with 171 deaths this year behind Mexico. 

But their list only has certain countries - thousands die each year in India, for example.

Just three days ago 16 people taking selfies in Jaipur were killed in one strike alone, notes ASEAN Now. 

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright ASEAN NOW 2021-07-15

- Whatever you're going through, the Samaritans are here for you

• Sad 1

sad

lightning is very dangerous in an open flat space, you will likely become the easiest path to earth if there is nothing taller near by, air doesn't conduct electricity very well - the human body does, safest place to go if caught out in open space is near but not under a tree and lie flat on the ground and hope the tree offers a better path, continue until the danger passes, or of course seek shelter in a building or vehicle if close enough and stay low

RIP

3 hours ago, smedly said:

sad

lightning is very dangerous in an open flat space, you will likely become the easiest path to earth if there is nothing taller near by, air doesn't conduct electricity very well - the human body does, safest place to go if caught out in open space is near but not under a tree and lie flat on the ground and hope the tree offers a better path, continue until the danger passes, or of course seek shelter in a building or vehicle if close enough and stay low

RIP

Lightning doesn't always seek the highest point we have been struck twice in very recent time and very close to our dwelling both were lower then the dwelling which has a metal roof Very unpredictable !  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, tracker1 said:

Lightning doesn't always seek the highest point we have been struck twice in very recent time and very close to our dwelling both were lower then the dwelling which has a metal roof Very unpredictable !  

a metal roof that went all the way to the ground ?

bricks and cement are also not a good conductor 

the path of least resistance was what it used 

On 7/15/2021 at 3:08 PM, smedly said:

a metal roof that went all the way to the ground ?

bricks and cement are also not a good conductor 

the path of least resistance was what it used 

A metal roof with rafters and frame welded to reinforced concrete columns that are buried 2 meters into the ground I would say that is a fair conductor !

1 hour ago, tracker1 said:

A metal roof with rafters and frame welded to reinforced concrete columns that are buried 2 meters into the ground I would say that is a fair conductor !

the lightlning thought otherwise so obviously it wasn't - easiest path is what it will take or even spread between 

also the fact you are talking about it I higly doubt you had a direct ligtning strike - you may have thought you did being so close it is more likely you felt the heat and the massive crack right beside you which can be very dramatic - something I have experienced myself  

On 7/18/2021 at 11:45 PM, smedly said:

the lightlning thought otherwise so obviously it wasn't - easiest path is what it will take or even spread between 

also the fact you are talking about it I higly doubt you had a direct ligtning strike - you may have thought you did being so close it is more likely you felt the heat and the massive crack right beside you which can be very dramatic - something I have experienced myself  

I have a palm tree and banana trees to prove it also the result of a previous strike on another tree if you like to see the photos !

As a qualified Arborist with 36 years experience I am pretty familiar with lightning strikes on vegetation

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, tracker1 said:

I have a palm tree and banana trees to prove it also the result of a previous strike on another tree if you like to see the photos !

prove what, I have a degree level education in electrical engineering - I know how electricity behaves you seemingly don't

• Confused 1

On 7/15/2021 at 11:39 AM, smedly said:

sad

RIP

I usually stand next to a taller person , not to close though , safe distancing 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, smedly said:

prove what, I have a degree level education in electrical engineering - I know how electricity behaves you seemingly don't

Better you look at a few trees struck by lightning then ! and enlighten yourself to what lightning strike do to trees once struck

9 minutes ago, tracker1 said:

Then you would have to admit I know what I am talking about ! I will post some photos for you shortly !

I think you observe stuff and take photos - do you actually understand what is going on - it seems likely you don't 

now I am ending this conversation right now - short of putting you on ignore this finishes now 

• Haha 1

lightning strike.jpg

lightning strike1.jpg

Just now, tracker1 said:

lightning strike.jpg

lightning strike1.jpg

The second photo is a previous strike please read about lightning strikes on rough bark and smooth bark tree also it knocked out both our and my neighbours breakers his tv and 4 LED light in my property I won't bother posting photos of that as you would know what caused that