Website to help with roof overhang/window decisions

gamb00ler

To minimize the amount of direct sunlight hitting your windows you can use a larger roof overhang.

This website will show you how the sunlight will hit your windows throughout the solar year.

You input your latitude, roof overhang, size and location of window and it will generate a depiction of the sunlight on your window.

https://susdesign.com/overhang/

21 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

I would of thought its pretty much common sense what to do. 

For those who prefer a generous roof overhang for more than one reason, that website will assist in creating a design that is both attractive and functional.  I for one don't find your solution that attractive. 

The website will also serve to eliminate the guesswork and save cost by calculating the smallest overhang to achieve the design goal.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gamb00ler said:

For those who prefer a generous roof overhang for more than one reason, that website will assist in creating a design that is both attractive and functional.  I for one don't find your solution that attractive. 

The website will also serve to eliminate the guesswork and save cost by calculating the smallest overhang to achieve the design goal.

Well lets what is attractive, ours function well and go with external house decor. 

That susdesign program has come a long way from when I used it years ago. Between overhangs, a car port (west side), and house orientation, I was able to keep the sun from any contact with windows.....except, I underestimated the power of the morning sun on the narrow, eastern end of the house.  I finally eliminated that problem with a row of large palms.  

I cringe at the sight of most modern built homes with maybe a foot of overhang.  

Our overhangs help our porch serve as an enjoyable outdoor area.....rain or shine......and clothes dryer, no matter what the weather.

• Like 1