how to buy condo and put 14 years old daughter's name on owener book

I had been planning to buy a condo in Pattaya. I asked my family to transfer to me money, but my family unknowingly money was converted into Thai bahts at sending bank, they didn't understand the difference of converting at sending bank or receiving bank, bank never asked. so money arrived as Thai bahts. But you need money arrived as foreign money to buy in foreigner name.

So I think I can not  buy in my name anymore. But my friend said I can put in my daughters name, 14 years old, she has Thai ID card. I am divorced with Thai wife but I take care daughter. I had a paper from divorce office when we got divorced that says father take care, or stay with father something like that.

So what is the process of buying condo in 14 years old daughter's name. I read from other forum, it says process is easy, do I bring her ID, birth certificate, divorce paper, her house registration is at her mom's place, do I need her house registration paper? what else do I need to prepare for land office ? hope someone went through this process can help.

4 hours ago, hanhanhan said:

unknowingly money was converted into Thai bahts at sending bank, they didn't understand the difference of converting at sending bank or receiving bank, bank never asked. so money arrived as Thai bahts. But you need money arrived as foreign money to buy in foreigner name.

Your bank statement should show it as coming from another country/currency? Similar to the requirement for a retirement visa?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, hanhanhan said:

But my friend said I can put in my daughters name, 14 years old, she has Thai ID card. I am divorced with Thai wife but I take care daughter. I had a paper from divorce office when we got divorced that says father take care, or stay with father something like that.

Yes, a Thai minor can own property under guardianship. Be aware that you/the guardian might not be able to sell, or transfer, the property before your daughter is 20 years old, actually she is the legal owner the property.

First of all, there's no such thing as owner's book. The title deed is a paper, the book is the house registration or taking ban and that has nothing to do with ownership. 

Second point - are you sure the money was converted abroad and sent as Thai baht? In most normal transfers to private accounts the money is put into the account in THB regardless of which currency was sent. Another point is that the reason stated for the transfer should be "to buy property". As suggested above, go to your bank and ask for the document to present to the land office. 

As for putting the condo under daughter's name - as mentioned above - you won't be able to sell / mortgage / lease out the property without a court order before she's 20 years old. 

4 hours ago, onekoolguy said:

Not sure about Thai law but in the USA and I think here also, Minors can own property but cannot sell or transfer it until they reach legal age. Easy to put into their name but maybe a major problem later on?

Correct, by Thai law, to sell the property before she reached majority would need a court order which is extremely difficult to get.

Is it legal to record ownership in her name? Yes this is possible by Thai law, but keep in mind that, like many things in Thailand, local bosses of govt' agencies* sometime don't like this idea and refuse to allow the transfer, and yes they do get away with it.

(*a good example, different immigration offices require different document to renew visas.)

Further things to remember, someone will have to pay the monthly maintenance charges to the body corporate. 

3 hours ago, LukKrueng said:

First of all, there's no such thing as owner's book. The title deed is a paper, the book is the house registration or taking ban and that has nothing to do with ownership. 

Second point - are you sure the money was converted abroad and sent as Thai baht? In most normal transfers to private accounts the money is put into the account in THB regardless of which currency was sent. Another point is that the reason stated for the transfer should be "to buy property". As suggested above, go to your bank and ask for the document to present to the land office. 

As for putting the condo under daughter's name - as mentioned above - you won't be able to sell / mortgage / lease out the property without a court order before she's 20 years old. 

Yes you can Regardless her age, My Daughter own's 50% of my Property only thing she cannot sell until she is 20 Years & ok by me,

12 hours ago, bontang said:

Yes you can Regardless her age, My Daughter own's 50% of my Property only thing she cannot sell until she is 20 Years & ok by me,

I didn't say you can't. You can have 100% registered to a minor, but can't sell lease or mortgage without a court order. 

I'd just keep the money in the bank and count this "mistake" as blessing. If you want to leave something to your daughter, leave her money as Thailand tourism will never be the same and I can only imagine what the average Pattaya condo will look in 10 years. 

14 hours ago, scorecard said:

Correct, by Thai law, to sell the property before she reached majority would need a court order which is extremely difficult to get.

Why would a court order be difficult to get unless the sale were not in the best interest of the child? 

1 hour ago, Yellowtail said:

Why would a court order be difficult to get unless the sale were not in the best interest of the child? 

Fact is that the Thai history shows that the judge/court needs to be convinced that the sale is totally absolutely necessary, and also judge will push towards allowing a future assets of that child to be disturbed in any way.

That's the history. 

40 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Fact is that the Thai history shows that the judge/court needs to be convinced that the sale is totally absolutely necessary, and also judge will push towards allowing a future assets of that child to be disturbed in any way.

That's the history. 

Where would one find this history?

On 7/17/2021 at 4:57 PM, LukKrueng said:

Thanks for replies. I made 3 transfers, two by online bank swift, came in as USD, and euro, so was fine. My mom transfered another one the main one to me from her bank, it was converted thai bahts at sending bank, she doesnt know the difference, so thai bank customer service said cannot make FET form on this particular transfer only can make transfer receipt.

I bought a condo unit few years ago in Kuala Lumpur in my adult foriegn son's name. He is digital nomad, so I had been thinking to buy another unit in Pattaya so he and me and my half Thai daughter can shift around places and not pay rent for next 10-20 years.

If we can use condo units for next 10-20 years, so we save 10-20 years of rent, we dont mind sell it even at cheap price in the future.

I asked a real estate agent, seems totally no problem to register in my half Thai 14 years old name, as mentioned above cannot sell until she is 20,, but we plan to use it at least 10-20 years , so we can shift around places between our 3 family members, possible another one soon son's steady girlfriend .

Real estate agent said I can do this myself easily, but she willing to check all papers and go land office to make sure things are right for a few thousands bahts, i think I just do that to save the headache.

Thanks for all replies.

12 hours ago, hanhanhan said:

Thanks for replies. I made 3 transfers, two by online bank swift, came in as USD, and euro, so was fine. My mom transfered another one the main one to me from her bank, it was converted thai bahts at sending bank, she doesnt know the difference, so thai bank customer service said cannot make FET form on this particular transfer only can make transfer receipt.

I bought a condo unit few years ago in Kuala Lumpur in my adult foriegn son's name. He is digital nomad, so I had been thinking to buy another unit in Pattaya so he and me and my half Thai daughter can shift around places and not pay rent for next 10-20 years.

If we can use condo units for next 10-20 years, so we save 10-20 years of rent, we dont mind sell it even at cheap price in the future.

I asked a real estate agent, seems totally no problem to register in my half Thai 14 years old name, as mentioned above cannot sell until she is 20,, but we plan to use it at least 10-20 years , so we can shift around places between our 3 family members, possible another one soon son's steady girlfriend .

Real estate agent said I can do this myself easily, but she willing to check all papers and go land office to make sure things are right for a few thousands bahts, i think I just do that to save the headache.

Thanks for all replies.

There are no headaches at all. Surely your daughter can speak and read Thai, and it's a simple procedure.

On 7/18/2021 at 9:15 AM, Pravda said:

I'd just keep the money in the bank and count this "mistake" as blessing. If you want to leave something to your daughter, leave her money as Thailand tourism will never be the same and I can only imagine what the average Pattaya condo will look in 10 years. 

I cant believe you actually think that tourism in thailand will never be the same again. After mass vaccinations globally, I think this chinese virus is going to fizzle out just like SARS did. Before we know it walking street pattaya will return to its normal glory

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bbabythai said:

I cant believe you actually think that tourism in thailand will never be the same again. After mass vaccinations globally, I think this chinese virus is going to fizzle out just like SARS did. Before we know it walking street pattaya will return to its normal glory

The world will never be the same again. 

33 minutes ago, bbabythai said:

Dark thoughts on your part. SARS died out yrs ago. Nothing lasts forever. Think positive dude

Sars was nothing compared to the hysteria around this. 

It does not have to stay around for the World to be changed.