To give a motorbike as a gift registered on my name to my Thai friend while I stay in Germany

Last year I suddenly had to leave Thailand at the end of March because of the flight stop by the airlines to Europe (Covid-19). There I gave my motorcycle to a good friend in Pattaya as a gift because I didn't know if I would come back to Thailand because I am 75 years old. Unfortunately, I registered the motorcycle in Bangkok, when I bought it. Therefore it was impossible in the short time to officially rewrite the green book in favor of a new owner.
I am currently in Germany. My friend told me that she could not  work in the hotel anymore and that she would go back to her home in Buriram next month. She is unsure whether there will be any difficulties if she would be controlled at checkpoints by police.
How can I arrange from Germany that her name as the new owner is written in the Green Book that I left with her or what do you recommend me to do ?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, galenjones said:

How can I arrange from Germany that her name as the new owner is written in the Green Book that I left with her or what do you recommend me to do ?

As long as she has a motorcycle driving license and road tax disc, a has govt insurance and a helmet no worries from police at all, to be frank being Thai she should already know that.

If your not coming back to Thailand and want her to be owner of the motorbike you will need to send a cover letter to her which she can get translated naming her as the person you want to transfer the motorcycle to, also send a photocopy of your passport photo page and a copy of the passport page with the Thai EXIT stamp date on it, she then goes to her local DLT with the green book for them to transfer the motorcycle into her name and address.

Edited by Kwasaki
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

As long as she has a motorcycle driving license and road tax disc, a has govt insurance and a helmet no worries from police at all, to be frank being Thai she should already know that.

If your not coming back to Thailand and want her to be owner of the motorbike you will need to send a cover letter to her which she can get translated naming her as the person you want to transfer the motorcycle to, also send a photocopy of your passport photo page and a copy of the passport page with the Thai EXIT stamp date on it, she then goes to her local DLT with the green book for them to transfer the motorcycle into her name and address.

There's actually a power of attorney form of the DLT needs to be signed as well as a signature on the green book. I would suggest she get the forms, send to you with the green book. You sign and return to her together with a copy of the picture page of your passport and then take all the papers to a dealer (can be one of the places that do the annual vehicle checks) and let them deal with the actual transfer. Better include a letter saying that you gift her the bike. I'd leave the dates blank in case the dealer think it should be dated before your departure date. 

11 minutes ago, LukKrueng said:

There's actually a power of attorney form of the DLT needs to be signed as well as a signature on the green book. I would suggest she get the forms, send to you with the green book. You sign and return to her together with a copy of the picture page of your passport and then take all the papers to a dealer (can be one of the places that do the annual vehicle checks) and let them deal with the actual transfer. Better include a letter saying that you gift her the bike. I'd leave the dates blank in case the dealer think it should be dated before your departure date. 

No !!! you need a photocopy of passport page of the farangie  owners EXIT stamp out of Thailand.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

No !!! you need a photocopy of passport page of the farangie  owners EXIT stamp out of Thailand.

That's why I wrote use an agent. They might be able to go around that. If the 1st one says no, try another. Had that done on a yearly test for a car. 1st agent said no way without taking off something added to the car, another agent took care of it with no problems, no questions asked. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Again NO !!  An agent for this is not necessary in my experience, all I can say is go local DLT they are very helpful many people here think ya know they are ganna eat ya just like they think the immigration is going to.

I think you kinda miss the point. The seller/ giver is NOT in Thailand. So it all has to be done by proxy. YES you can do it on your own but as he is out of Thailand, already few months, it WILL BE EASIER and go smoother through an agent. 

I use an agent to pay my yearly tax on all my vehicles as I live too far from the nearest DLT so it saves me the long drive and the long waiting time at the office and I know all documents are going to be correct. I recommend the Thai lady to do the same. It'll cost her 200-300 baht more but it will save her time and running after extra documents. But as you know it all and better maybe you could do it for her

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, LukKrueng said:

I think you kinda miss the point. The seller/ giver is NOT in Thailand. So it all has to be done by proxy. YES you can do it on your own but as he is out of Thailand, already few months, it WILL BE EASIER and go smoother through an agent. 

I use an agent to pay my yearly tax on all my vehicles as I live too far from the nearest DLT so it saves me the long drive and the long waiting time at the office and I know all documents are going to be correct. I recommend the Thai lady to do the same. It'll cost her 200-300 baht more but it will save her time and running after extra documents. But as you know it all and better maybe you could do it for her

Have you done what the OP is asking i.e. He is in Germany and wants to give the lady in Thailand his motorbike. ??

Shouldn't be any problem to transfer name. Just go to a company that registers bikes and usually 500bht and you on video should fix it. Or she can send you the paper express mail. Sign it and send it back

23 hours ago, Crossy said:

She could send the bike by Thailand Post and go home on the bus or train (assuming they are operating of course).

Agree, Thai post transport mcys regulalry, good service, prompt, not expensive.

Son did this, sent his HONDA big bike CM to PO near Rose Garden just outside of Pattaya, excellent focused service both locations, good communications, no damage whatever, just on 48 hrs all completed, not expensive.

Not all post offices are actively involved with this service, just ask at local PO, they will direct you to nearest PO who offer this service. Good luck.

<deleted> ..... the OP needs a proof of address letter from immigration to do the transfer - to get this - he would need to provide a copy of his current visa and proof of his thai address, along with an application form signed in blue (so they can see that it's not a phot copy) - if he can't provide this - no immigration letter, so he can't legally do the change .....

Also he'd have to sign the book (in blue pen) and sign the power of atourney / sales form, again in blue pen - if he's not in the country he can't do that......

Plenty of talk that an agent "can sort" but if it can be done, it won't be cheap....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm going to be a bit synical, Thais ride around on motorbikes with not much documentation, many don't even have a green book, lucky if have a copy of it...

So OP your friend can use your bike being in your name until the end of the world without any issue whatsoever, I think the bike is going to be sold, hence requiring to transfer name.... - in Covid situation and jobless issues, it's understandable...!