Bangkok - Labour Department now asking for blood group on WP renewal.

The office lady who deals with WPs picked up my medical certificate this morning (I met her in Tesco's sorry, Lotus's' car park).

This afternoon she called to ask my blood group, seems to be a new requirement, luckily I actually know it (a boring O+).

I'm not entirely sure what the relevance is to my WP but there we go, TiT.

2 minutes ago, BE88 said:

I think it is only in complement of information of your WPs, nothing strange.

Did you get asked last time you renewed? Where and when was that?

Thailand is the hub of irrelevant data collection, how my blood group affects my ability to do my job and support a WP I have absolutely zero idea. And I could lie anyway, it's not on the certificate from the hospital.

Just letting the membership know to be prepared for the question.

10 minutes ago, Why Me said:

My (uneducated) guess is that it doesn't really matter for hoity toity white collar types like Crossy:-) But for construction labor and such at risk of workplace injury it's useful info.

You think I don't go on construction sites (in non-covid times)? I do underground too and every man and his dog knows my blood group and allergies.

But I'm hoping that the hospital will be testing before transfusing anyway (probably quicker than checking with the Labour Dept). 

8 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Did you get asked last time you renewed? Where and when was that?

Thailand is the hub of irrelevant data collection, how my blood group affects my ability to do my job and support a WP I have absolutely zero idea. And I could lie anyway, it's not on the certificate from the hospital.

Just letting the membership know to be prepared for the question.

No and no idea why they ask now, I assume it's if they take you to the hospital from the workplace that they know your blood group even though they would normally have to double check before injecting more blood which blood group you belong to.

But it is more likely that it is just to fill in as much data as possible about the person without any efficiency and utility.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Crossy said:

You think I don't go on construction sites (in non-covid times)? I do underground too and every man and his dog knows my blood group and allergies.

But I'm hoping that the hospital will be testing before transfusing anyway (probably quicker than checking with the Labout Dept). 

Maybe no, you don't know on the LOS

• Like 1

As far as I remember they ask for the blood group on the medical certificate for work permits for many years already.

And for many years there is no official field for the blood group on that official form. (I have to admit I didn't check recently)

Just ask the doctor to write it informal on the form and all is fine. That's the way they do it for me since years.

1 hour ago, Oxx said:

You hear wrong.  AB is the rarest of the usual blood types, but O- is the universal donor.

Close, but it depends on whether you're donating blood cells or blood plasma:

• The universal red cell donor has Type O negative blood.
  • The universal plasma donor has Type AB blood.

• Like 1

Curious ...

If you need to fill in your blood group on the form, and have forgotten, can anyone conceive of a situation in practice where just entering anything (very likely incorrect) could lead to any issues? Could entering the wrong blood group on the form, theoretically, invalidate your work permit application?

22 hours ago, Crossy said:

Thailand is the hub of irrelevant data collection, how my blood group affects my ability to do my job and support a WP I have absolutely zero idea.

Not totally irrelevant. As you are on a WP, they consider you as a person who will remain in the country. Sometimes there is a lack of different blood groups that donate blood. Can be very important during a pandemic. Therefore, my guess is that they are collecting information to know who to message for different blood groups if in need of quick donations.

However, it should be up to every single individual to choose if they wish to share such information.

Edited by Gottfrid

1 minute ago, Gottfrid said:

Therefore, my guess is that they are collecting information to know who to message for different blood groups if in need of quick donations.

Do you really think that Thai government departments are that integrated??

They would also know they don't want mine, it's a common group (O+), I'm too old by Thai standards and I lived in the UK during the BSE era. Three strikes, I'm out.

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Do you really think that Thai government departments are that integrated??

They would also know they don't want mine, it's a common group (O+), I'm too old by Thai standards and I lived in the UK during the BSE era. Three strikes, I'm out.

No, I do not really think they are that connected at all. Was just an idea for any kind of valid reason. Grasping for the last straw, you know ????

As you say, totally useless to take yours, if you not turn it around. They might want it on file for the reason that you might need blood quickly. But, then again, they must be connected. Yeah, I give up. You are right. Took a while to elaborate with myself, though. ????

• Haha 1