how to raise calcium level for mineral water pool

Charly2008

the mineral water pool is a tiled concrete infinity pool with 10x5x1.4m (tank 10x1x1m) chlorinator is the purapool mineral oxygen, the water readings are FCL: 1.28; PH: 7.5; ALY: 86;

I try since weeks to get the calcium level up, when measured I get just 20 to 40, it should be 200-300. I did add for quite a while daily 1 kg calcium chloride flakes dissolved in a 10L bucket, the level not really got up, but I can see that at / or below the water outlet points in the pool (pool floor 4 units and pool wall 6 units) white flakes come out.

My assumption is that those white flakes are calcium flakes which somehow seem to be crystallizing somewhere after the chlorinator in the pipes to the water outlets.

Any ideas how I can get my calcium readings up to the required level?

cheers, charly

• Like 1

1 kg for a start is too much to add at once in a small pool.

Drop to no more than 250 g kilo at a time.

What filtration media are you using?

pH is extremly important with a PuraPool Oxy system!

Keep between 7.2 - 7.4

Edited by Bagwain

On 7/22/2021 at 4:08 AM, Bagwain said:

The question was about calcium not pH & alkilinity!

you also mentioned Ph and its relevancy to the water.

It is all connected. I dont care, i dont have a pool.

Just gave a possibility for a person to connect with another person to discuss pools and their ways to control pools.

• Like 1

I did add the last days just 250g a day, but I still have the flakes at / or below the water outlets, the PH I lowered to 7.3.

Filter media is glass bottle glass, at least it looks like that, but in the filter we cannot find many white flakes like they look in the pool. The flakes get cleaned out by the robot.

2 hours ago, Charly2008 said:

I did add the last days just 250g a day, but I still have the flakes at / or below the water outlets, the PH I lowered to 7.3.

Filter media is glass bottle glass, at least it looks like that, but in the filter we cannot find many white flakes like they look in the pool. The flakes get cleaned out by the robot.

Sorry to say but bottle glass media is Sh#t.

Recycled plate glass is the ultimate.

My mates pool which we renovated & recharged the filter solved the problem.

It is a strange one that we haven't been able to solve!

There is a lot of plastic in recycled bottle glass.

Mai Lou!

well how much will it set me back I change the filter media to the from you recommended recycled plate glass?

it is a 900mm dia filter with 19-30 qbm/hr flow rate, surface area 0.636 sqm, 75% efficiency, sand weight 350kg, pressure 2.5 kg/sqcm 

23 hours ago, Charly2008 said:

well how much will it set me back I change the filter media to the from you recommended recycled plate glass?

it is a 900mm dia filter with 19-30 qbm/hr flow rate, surface area 0.636 sqm, 75% efficiency, sand weight 350kg, pressure 2.5 kg/sqcm 

It is 80% of sand requirements. 350 x 80% = 280 kg

Where are you situated? I am based in East Pattaya the Darkside. 

Price maybe subject to freight!

Attached brochure on "Eco Clear" Lasts up to 15 yrs and the filtration is the best you will get.

At night it looks like there is no water in the pool.

Eco Clear.pdf

Measure enough calcium chloride to raise the hardness level. Use 1 1/4 pounds of product for every 10,000 gallons of water if you need to raise the level by 10 parts per million. Use 2 1/2 pounds (per 10,000 gallons) to raise the level by 20 parts per million, or use 6 1/4 pounds of product (per 10,000 gallons) to raise the hardness level by 50 parts per million.

@Bagwain, I am south of Chiang Mai, but come from time to time to Pattaya I could pick it up since I visit friends from time to time on Soi Siam Country

@ZeusMVP, thanks for the math, this I still can manage on my own, but why and where is the calcium chloride crystalizing and lying on the pool floor and not in dissolved state in the water? That bothers me, any idea about that?

12 hours ago, Charly2008 said:

@Bagwain, I am south of Chiang Mai, but come from time to time to Pattaya I could pick it up since I visit friends from time to time on Soi Siam Country

@ZeusMVP, thanks for the math, this I still can manage on my own, but why and where is the calcium chloride crystalizing and lying on the pool floor and not in dissolved state in the water? That bothers me, any idea about that?

A few of us in the industry have looked into this and it is weird. Only thing we can think of is electrolysis from salt chlorination! There are many types of calcium and we have also experience fibreglass pools covered in it. Samples where sent to Griffith Uni in Brisbane Australia. All they cam up with was it was calcium silicate!

The Eco media seems to stop it!

send me a picture of the spec plate on the side of the filter!

Cheers 

@ Bagwain, the details of the filter are in my post from 26th July, that all what is stated on the filter type plate, here again:

perhaps you can let me know the price for the glass material you suggest and I may can check with a Chemist about this calcium silicate, maybe he has an idea.

8 hours ago, Charly2008 said:

@ Bagwain, the details of the filter are in my post from 26th July, that all what is stated on the filter type plate, here again:

perhaps you can let me know the price for the glass material you suggest and I may can check with a Chemist about this calcium silicate, maybe he has an idea.

OK its  a big pool! 

350 x 80% = 280 of Eco Clear

4 bags of large bags at 25 kg p/bag

9 x 20 kg of small

1000 p/bag =13k.

If keen let me know & we can dance!

This is the result providing you water balance is in check!

Cheers

2.jpg

IMG-20201227-WA0000.jpg

Edited by Bagwain