Converting license from temporary to permanent 3 months before expiring?

Hi everybody, 

I have read that you can extend your permanent Thai driving license 3 months before it expires. 

My question is then, I have to convert my 2-year temporary to a permanent one. Can I also do that 3 months before the temporary one expires (Nov. 21)

Thank you in advance for your help. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, KinKinReowReow said:

Thank you in advance for your help. 

From what I know you can, the DLT's in provinces do some things differently and during a pandemic the only way to find out is ring your local DLT up or go there and ask them.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

From what I know you can, the DLT's in provinces do some things differently and during a pandemic the only way to find out is ring your local DLT up or go there and ask them.

Thank you very much for your reply. 

After calling various DLTs and having some Thai friends do the same, the conclusion was that you can indeed apply 3 months before expiration. 

With the small caveat of course that they are now closed for the foreseeable future for all inquiries. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, KinKinReowReow said:

Thank you very much for your reply. 

After calling various DLTs and having some Thai friends do the same, the conclusion was that you can indeed apply 3 months before expiration. 

With the small caveat of course that they are now closed for the foreseeable future for all inquiries. 

Best to go and check as DLT offices are fond of pretending they are closed due to Wuflu but are in fact open certainly for road tax and some other services. Banglamung kept me at bay for 3 mths before an adjacent driving school (Pattaya Klang) told me they were actually open all the time with an antiseptic spray on the way in and were just trying to reduce applicants

Best go there in person to see if they are open. 

But to my understanding you only can get a 5 year licence after your 2 year provisional licence. 

I did mine not long ago and did it 1 month before expireydate of my provisional licence.

They also give you 1 year grace after expiry date to do it, after that time you'd have to start from scratch again.

Good luck. 

• Confused 1

On 7/21/2021 at 12:38 PM, KinKinReowReow said:

I have to convert my 2-year temporary to a permanent one. Can I also do that 3 months before the temporary one expires

You can actually do it after 12 months.

19 hours ago, chilly07 said:

Best to go and check as DLT offices are fond of pretending they are closed due to Wuflu but are in fact open certainly for road tax and some other services. Banglamung kept me at bay for 3 mths before an adjacent driving school (Pattaya Klang) told me they were actually open all the time with an antiseptic spray on the way in and were just trying to reduce applicants

Oh, that's definitely a hot inside tip. Thanks a lot. Will give it a try.