Teak Furniture

stubuzz

Looks similar to our furniture which was made from teak and no problems except some cracks in some cupboard furniture over 20 years, an easy fix. 

Chairs, sette and tables where the wood is much thicker has been no trouble at all. 

43 minutes ago, stubuzz said:

The company claims the wood is from 30 year old trees.

We have a teak plantation which I I've watched for 23 years and there still trees that are only 2-3 inches in diameter, and some that are a good 10 inches, so I would say the age isn't really the only indication of quality but rather the selection of cuts used to make the furniture.I wouldn't say the piece in the photo is from top quality lumber selection but probably fairly average, not bad but not top quality and that would probably be reflected in the price being asked.Having said that I think that even the low quality teak wood can be used to make solid furniture like some chairs I made from the trees that had died in our plantation.

thumb_IMG_2259_1024.jpg.59db879111192fe8ec697ce03daa333b.jpgthumb_IMG_2260_1024.jpg.ed499a4edc5260b62189b47890e5067a.jpg

• Like 1

If you are near Phrae - as it shows the name on the first picture - they make and sell the furniture nearby in Amphur Sung Men (between Den Chai and Phrae), showing many shops along the road. The furniture is made behind the main road in small cooperatives. Mostly the teak is not kiln dried, just on the sunshine.  There are some good pieces and there are some not very good pieces, however, it can be recognized.

30 years is a planted teak, with some portions of sap wood. The wood on the first picture shows an older wood. 

7 hours ago, stubuzz said:

The company claims the wood is from 30 year old trees.

That means it’s young growth wood and as it’s teak it would produce a better harvest at 40~60 years the knots will indicate a lower value wood quite possibly due to poor silviculture or making use of timber that has been rejected for higher quality product, the price reflects this as it looks low for the volume of wood needed.

If you want clear knot free furniture then you may be paying double the price shown. 

What do you think about ไม้มะค่า Makha wood and ไม้ประดู่ Padauk wood for furniture?

A used sofa made of large pieces of Makha wood seems better value than teak.

https://www.kaidee.com/product-362615489

https://www.kaidee.com/product-356123545