Timing of COE process to return to Thailand?

I'm in the U.S. with a valid OA-based extension of stay and valid reentry permit.  I have a air booking.

To get the COE and necessary other things (Covid insurance, ASQ booking, Covid test, etc.), is two weeks before planned departure the right time to start the COE process?  (The instructions on the Thai Embassy DC site are not very clear to me.)

The Los Angeles embassy site says it can take 15 days "processing time" to get approved.

Make sure everything is in perfect order otherwise you may have to start the process all over again.

Edited by bkk6060

I applied via the Chicago consulate for an early July arrival and it took about 5 days for pre approval. After that, the final approval COE came in the same day I uploaded the final documents (e.g., hotel and prepaid PRC test confirmations).

I'd suggest you apply two to three weeks in advance. They do seem to process COEs based upon the departure date so no matter when you apply you may not get approved until a week or less before your departure. 

• Thanks 2

I applied on the 15th of July to DC for a departure on the 21st. Received my pre-approval back on Sat the 17th about 1600. Uploaded my remaining docs then and got the approval about noon on Monday the 19th. 

Very quick process, at least in my case. Sitting in quarantine now. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, volsfan said:

I applied on the 15th of July to DC for a departure on the 21st. Received my pre-approval back on Sat the 17th about 1600. Uploaded my remaining docs then and got the approval about noon on Monday the 19th. 

Very quick process, at least in my case. Sitting in quarantine now. 

Curious ... are you fully vaccinated?

This may not help for LA, but in Germany in February I gave it two weeks and ended up only needing one.  Not counting research on ASQ which took a while.

Organizing the hotel took a couple days due to back and forth emails.  All embassy stuff was issued the next day, so total of 4 days for official papers, but I’m glad I had the wiggle room.  Had all papers in order and prepaid as requested.  Final PCR’s were a little tight but it worked out in the end.

So my advice is give it as much time as the local embassy says you may/will need, but plan around it possibly going faster.  But that was a while ago and for BKK.

I started 24 days before my departure. I could have got away with 14 days but I think it would have been stressful. In my case there were a couple glitches with some emails from the Embassy not being sent to me so I had to chase them up to find out what they wanted. With any luck those glitches have been ironed out now but I'd recommend giving yourself more than 14 days just in case.

• Like 1