British Nationals Petition: Supply Covid-19 vaccinations for British citizens living overseas

3 hours ago, rbkk said:

British Nationals have a chance to make your voice heard.....
At 10,000 signatures it will be debated in UK Parliament.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/586772?fbclid=IwAR30MxYofFAFurAFV2h3RWimE6lbjA0QD-91kRKzOdPjzkSaAnf8HCFNCnQ

( If this is already  runnng here elsewhere please merge the topics)

Do you know anything about who started this petition? Interested in whether it was started in Thailand because of the situation in Thailand, or whether it's a worldwide phenomenon, and started elsewhere.

Edited by samtam

13 minutes ago, samtam said:

Do you know anything about who started this petition? Interested in whether it was started in Thailand because of the situation in Thailand, or whether it's a worldwide phenomenon, and started elsewhere.

Sorry, I don't. I was just trying to help out a member (Scubascuba3) who couldn't start a new topic in the British Embassy Forum. When I clicked on "Show on map" a map of UK appeared showing the UK distribution of signatures.

14 minutes ago, gamini said:

I have dual nationality I'm 90 years old with several lung diseases. If I'd use my New Zealand passport instead of my British passport in entering Thailand for retirement. The New Zealand embassy would have arranged for me to get vaccinated . a British passport is not much use nowadays. we used to be able to travel anywhere in the European Union and work, get medical care. or reside there. Now we can't 

Sorry about your ailments but we are in Thailand, not in the EU.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, sirwilly said:

VOTED  Hope it does some good.

Me too. Pass the link around, even if your friends and family are not in Thailand and already vaccinated it could bring enough pressure for something to happen. Sigs just went up by 12 in 5 minutes.

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, sirwilly said:

VOTED  Hope it does some good.

The petition has already been running for two months (started 26 May, or thereabouts).  In two months it's attracted under 1,500 signatures.  At that rate it's not even going to hit the 10,000 votes for a government response before it expires.  So, probably done no good at all.  Sorry.

Edited by Oxx
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, theoldgit said:

A slight correction, if the petition gains 10,000 signatures, then the Government will respond, if it reaches 100,000 signatures then a committee considers if it’s going to be debated in Parliament, most actually don’t get to debate.

Petitions never get debated in the house of commons.  They are normally debated in another chamber within the parliament building by those who wish to attend. The outcome is never been put to parliament.

33 minutes ago, Surasak said:

Petitions never get debated in the house of commons.  They are normally debated in another chamber within the parliament building by those who wish to attend. The outcome is never been put to parliament.

give up and roll over then

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Aussieroaming said:

British Ambassador in Thailand - Why don't you personally intercede in order to assist British Citizens in Thailand to get vaccines. You are a public servant, employed to represent the British Public in your overseas posting, so listen to what the British citizens abroad are requesting from the British Government's representative in Thailand (you). Please act on the British constituants behalf before these citizens start getting Covid unecessarily due to vaccination appointment delays. I am sure that most citizens would willingly pay for the service, they don't necessarily want handouts from the government, they just want their Embassy's support to accelerate safe vaccination.

Yeah....Instead of taking it the Jaxy!

• Sad 2

On 7/25/2021 at 8:59 PM, samtam said:

Do you know anything about who started this petition?

Us Americans .. we got you back. .. You know same as we helped out with spelling,,, like Boot actually trunk in proper English.. 

Joking of course just trying to add a little humor.. I hope the petition works then maybe we’d have a go at. Our leaders..  

If we were in. Bar I’d not say such.. in Cambodia sitting at a table by the pool maybe 10 people..

whispered to my son .. ask why their called Pomes.. the guy across from my son leaped over 

the table had him by the neck.... but sorted before it got further.. lesson learned.. kinda like

long ago on visit to Pattaya at the outside beer garden.. what that frigging bell for another 

lesson learned.. 

been here full time 6 years in the sticks of the NE.. I enjoy it very much., and the quasi sit on the table 

bar in front of mom pop shops closes at eight.. Although once I stopped in ( just a walk and stumble

across dirt road in front of house.. wanted a beer the were out and suggested I drink the least expensive 

stringer like MaimTai in China but was Thai whisky., 

papa. In law came across and said ok let’s go home.. nope I’m ok.. waved him on.. he went back .. Mom in law came grabbed me by the wrist and took me home.. I laughed about it., oh that night my village wife was at her boyfriends.. seriously.cant make that. Since a few more incidents she was demoted of village 

wife list.. when I released I was village idiot.... A Farang I met said I’m the red ass Monkey in the cage 

that everyone was looking at.. Sad but true.. Metallica..

• Confused 2

3 hours ago, DJ54 said:

Us Americans .. we got you back. .. You know same as we helped out with spelling,,, like Boot actually trunk in proper English.. 

Joking of course just trying to add a little humor.. I hope the petition works then maybe we’d have a go at. Our leaders..  

If we were in. Bar I’d not say such.. in Cambodia sitting at a table by the pool maybe 10 people..

whispered to my son .. ask why their called Pomes.. the guy across from my son leaped over 

the table had him by the neck.... but sorted before it got further.. lesson learned.. kinda like

long ago on visit to Pattaya at the outside beer garden.. what that frigging bell for another 

lesson learned.. 

been here full time 6 years in the sticks of the NE.. I enjoy it very much., and the quasi sit on the table 

bar in front of mom pop shops closes at eight.. Although once I stopped in ( just a walk and stumble

across dirt road in front of house.. wanted a beer the were out and suggested I drink the least expensive 

stringer like MaimTai in China but was Thai whisky., 

papa. In law came across and said ok let’s go home.. nope I’m ok.. waved him on.. he went back .. Mom in law came grabbed me by the wrist and took me home.. I laughed about it., oh that night my village wife was at her boyfriends.. seriously.cant make that. Since a few more incidents she was demoted of village 

wife list.. when I released I was village idiot.... A Farang I met said I’m the red ass Monkey in the cage 

that everyone was looking at.. Sad but true.. Metallica..

The "Pomes" were a band....and very good they were too.

15 hours ago, Aussieroaming said:

British Ambassador in Thailand - Why don't you personally intercede in order to assist British Citizens in Thailand to get vaccines. You are a public servant, employed to represent the British Public in your overseas posting, so listen to what the British citizens abroad are requesting from the British Government's representative in Thailand (you). Please act on the British constituants behalf before these citizens start getting Covid unecessarily due to vaccination appointment delays. I am sure that most citizens would willingly pay for the service, they don't necessarily want handouts from the government, they just want their Embassy's support to accelerate safe vaccination.

If you are a non resident expat you cannot be a constituent as you have no voting rights in the UK.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Andycoops said:

If you are a non resident expat you cannot be a constituent as you have no voting rights in the UK.

I think your point is irrelevant to what the the previous poster wrote, but factually you are wrong.  Non-resident individuals continue to have voting rights in their last UK constituency for 15 years after they become non-resident.  The government is currently working to remove the 15 year limit.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-56265898

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Surasak said:

I said they can be debated in Parliament, I never mentioned the House of Commons.

Select Committees in both houses are part of Parliament, they can demand evidence from and make recommendations to the Government, the Goverment must respond.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, theoldgit said:

I said they can be debated in Parliament, I never mentioned the House of Commons.

Select Committees in both houses are part of Parliament, they can demand evidence from and make recommendations to the Government, the Goverment must respond.

I didn't contradict your statement, I only pointed out a fact.

I might also point out that a 'Select Committee', has nothing to do with petitions.

5 minutes ago, Surasak said:

I didn't contradict your statement, I only pointed out a fact.

I might also point out that a 'Select Committee', has nothing to do with petitions.

Petitions Committee

Commons Select Committee

The Petitions Committee considers e-petitions submitted on Parliament’s petitions website and public (paper) petitions presented to the House of Commons, engaging the public directly with the work of the House.

• Thanks 1

I, along with many other foreigners, are already receiving their vaccinations. I've had AZ1 and will return for AZ2 in 2 weeks.

I'm quite sure that if we're all patient, we will eventually receive the vaccinations that have been promised. 

I did not bother voting. I don't think it has a 'cat in hell's' chance anyway.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Moonlover said:

I'm quite sure that if we're all patient, we will eventually receive the vaccinations that have been promised. 

Either that, or die.

We shouldn't be patient, we should be very angry at the Thai government's utter incompetence and the racially discriminatory distribution of vaccines.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, theoldgit said:

Petitions Committee

Commons Select Committee

The Petitions Committee considers e-petitions submitted on Parliament’s petitions website and public (paper) petitions presented to the House of Commons, engaging the public directly with the work of the House.

So I was incorrect with the select committee. My apologise for that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Oxx said:
5 hours ago, Moonlover said:

3 hours ago, Oxx said:

Either that, or die.

We shouldn't be patient, we should be very angry at the Thai government's utter incompetence and the racially discriminatory distribution of vaccines.

So just what is it that's been going on at Bang Sue station just recently, is that discrimination against foreigners? Vaccination for foreigners

And I didn't notice any discrimination when the health volunteer came to my house to register me, nor at the hospital when I went for my first shot.

Getting 'very angry' will achieve nothing other than make yourself feel bad. Patience is a virtue that really is the best policy for us all at the moment.

• Like 1