Renewing & usingThai Passport, after entering on British passport.

My Thai wife needs to renew her passport if she is to enter Thailand as a Thai and avoid all visa requirements.

Her passport runs out mid October and it's unlikely we will be traveling before then.

The renewal procedure in the uk, involving a trip to London, would be much more complicated and expensive than doing it in Thailand, so I wanted to see if there are any options involving traveling on her British passport to enter Thailand and getting the renewal done there - within the 30 day visa on arrival/exemption period.

I imagined we might need to use a side trip or two during our 6 month stay, to let immigration see the Brit passport had left Thailand within 30 days then re-entered before finally flying back to the uk.

All speculation, and I really need to know if there is a effective and simplified way to organise this and not fall foul of the most recent regulations.

Any sage advice would be much appreciated.

????

Thanks.

It is often said on here that a Thai can enter on an expired passport.  So leave the UK on the British passport and produce the Thai one on arrival.  What issues that might cause with the COE are another matter of course although they are probably used to it by now.  Any plan that would require "side trips" does not seem a very good idea at this time.

• Like 1

The solution is simple. 

Check in for the flight using the UK Passport (if Thai Passport is expired) - you may need to show the airline a return ticket doing it this way. 

Use Thai Passport numbers for CoE. 

Or, check in using the Expired Thai Passport (that’s still permissible) 

There is no immigration union exit from the UK at airport. 

Enter Thailand on the expired Thai Passport (which is permitted). 
Thai citizens are permitted entry into Thailand with expired passports, they are still Thai. 

Renew Thai Passport in Thailand. 

• Like 1

On 7/25/2021 at 2:34 PM, richard_smith237 said:

The solution is simple. 

Check in for the flight using the UK Passport (if Thai Passport is expired) - you may need to show the airline a return ticket doing it this way. 

Use Thai Passport numbers for CoE. 

Or, check in using the Expired Thai Passport (that’s still permissible) 

There is no immigration union exit from the UK at airport. 

Enter Thailand on the expired Thai Passport (which is permitted). 
Thai citizens are permitted entry into Thailand with expired passports, they are still Thai. 

Renew Thai Passport in Thailand. 

Interesting.

I never considered that she could use an expired passport ?!

Would the outbound airline not require a valid passport for booking a return flight - for the duration of the trip ?  Or would they be aware that expired Thai passports are a non-issue if inbound to Thailand and leave it up to her to ensure she had a valid passport to re-enter the uk?

Maybe that's a question I should direct to the airline - unless you happen to know?

Her Thai passport, which we usually use to book the return flight, is in her Thai maiden name.   

Truth be told, she usually shows her British passport with her married name when coming back through UK customs????.

Never had a problem with that?!

I don't know of any airline that asks to see anyone's passport when buying a ticket. They will ask to see it and any relevant visas or permissions to enter or stay when they check-in.

Most countries permit their own nationals to re-enter their home countries on an expired travel document. This includes That and British passport holders.

The OP's wife can travel to and enter Thailand on the expired passport.

Edited by NanLaew